Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Whats your opinion on Louisiana? Is Louisiana apart of the American south?
Yes! An integral part--a mini-region of the dynamic American South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes! An integral part--a mini-region of the dynamic American South.
What is your definition of the "dynamic American South"? (Just curious)

Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
What is your definition of the "dynamic American South"? (Just curious)

//www.city-data.com/forum/24178405-post135.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/24178375-post134.html

Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I don't expect you to understand because you don't live in the U.S., but hardly anyone here sees Baltimore and D.C. as southern cities. The Census Bureau says Florida is a southern state. And as many of are apt to say, "It's southern in geography only." Most don't recognize the geography part as it relates to Baltimore and D.C.
Florida is very much a southern state outside of Southern Florida, but I agree with must you have said. And I saw that people were arguing rather Texas is the South or not and I personally think its, in it's own region. I live in the South now and I visit Texas once a year and it just doesn't seem like its positioned in the right area. Maybe because Texas is directly beside the deep south but it isn't in the deep south itself, but it's too far away from the upper-south which it has more in common with,so it must be classified as its own region. But thats just my interpretation.

Btw: I love Chicago and Minneapolis but because Baltimore & DC are considered southern officialy (although I don't say they are southern) I have to give the nod to the south.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
DC-Baltimore is the southern version of the mega corridor south of Philly-Boston.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
They are all actually part of the same corridor as you may now. (Bos-Wash) But I really don't understand why Boston is considered part of the corridor, it seems to far off to be part of the corridor. I complied a list a while back of the northeast metropolitan areas continuously being adjacent to each other and the Boston metropolitan was the only place that didn't bump up against another major metropolitan in the northeast.

SN: don't think I'm bashing Boston because it's one of my top five cities that I would love to move to.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:19 AM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
If you are trying to prove your point and show people that you are correct, then you surely do a bad job at it. Most people like in-depth answers, not five word responses or links that don't answer the question. If you want people to believe you then answer the questions properly. All the person asked is what is your definition of the "dynamic south"(since it kind of seemed like you were being contradictory) and I am sure he/she did not mean what states/cities make that up since you have posted that about a million times. If the South is so dynamic then why could it not include areas like Texas or South Florida? If Louisiana is "a mini region of the dynamic South", then why can't those other states be mini regions as well and it is not like they will change the South since you already said the South is dynamic, right? So wont the Catholic, Protestant, Spanish, French, Cajun, Creole, Italian, Irish, German, Haitian, African, and such influences of Louisiana be the same as the dynamic influences of Texas or South Florida. I mean you have to understand how contradictory it seems to add such a unique and outlier state of the South such as Louisiana to your "definition" of the American South but then to leave out Texas or South Florida even though they are just as much of an outlier (maybe even less) compared to Louisiana. I mean even look specifically at New Orleans where Catholicism is dominant, most white people are non-WASP, the accent is often compared to the New York accent, the city is densely populated and very walkable. It does not sound like I described a Southern city, does it? But then look at Houston or Dallas for example and take away the recent(ish) hispanic immigration and those cities are Southern to the core. If you do respond to this post could you possibly give an in depth response which could possibly prove your point instead of your usual responses which do not help your argument at all.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 05-20-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 AM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
They are all actually part of the same corridor as you may now. (Bos-Wash) But I really don't understand why Boston is considered part of the corridor, it seems to far off to be part of the corridor. I complied a list a while back of the northeast metropolitan areas continuously being adjacent to each other and the Boston metropolitan was the only place that didn't bump up against another major metropolitan in the northeast.

SN: don't think I'm bashing Boston because it's one of my top five cities that I would love to move to.
I dont think it has to be a continuous line of metropolitan areas to be considered a metropolis. There can be small breaks. But when you look at the New England region: Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts are densely populated states. Then when you look at the smaller metropolitan areas like Hartford, Springfield, Worcester, and Providence they are all very close to the the Boston area(some are even part of the CSA) and in return they are all very close to the cities in the rest of Connecticut (like Waterbury, Danbury, New Haven, Stamford, Bridgeport) and then New York city. It is all just very close together.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
If you are trying to prove your point and show people that you are correct, then you surely do a bad job at it. Most people like in-depth answers, not five word responses or links that don't answer the question. If you want people to believe you then answer the questions properly. All the person asked is what is your definition of the "dynamic south"(since it kind of seemed like you were being contradictory) and I am sure he/she did not mean what states/cities make that up since you have posted that about a million times. If the South is so dynamic then why could it not include areas like Texas or South Florida? If Louisiana is "a mini region of the dynamic South", then why can't those other states be mini regions as well and it is not like they will change the South since you already said the South is dynamic, right? So wont the Catholic, Protestant, Spanish, French, Cajun, Creole, Italian, Irish, German, Haitian, African, and such influences of Louisiana be the same as the dynamic influences of Texas or South Florida. I mean you have to understand how contradictory it seems to add such a unique and outlier state of the South such as Louisiana to your "definition" of the American South but then to leave out Texas or South Florida even though they are just as much of an outlier (maybe even less) compared to Louisiana. If you do respond to this post could you possibly give an in depth response which could possibly prove your point instead of your usual responses which do not help your argument at all.
Why in the hell are you so worked up?

I have been extremely clear about what I deem as The American South.

Try looking at it this way instead of trying to be so overly-logical/feigning intelligence:

Can one really imagine The American South without including Louisiana? No.

Can one imagine The American South without including Texas and Central+South Florida? Yes.

And--Texas and Central+South Florida cannot be considered part of the dynamic American South because they are not a part of The American South to begin with. They can, however, be dynamic Texas and dynamic Florida/New Florida, etc. Understand, Jimbo-laya?

Caint really say no mo' about this.

Last edited by aries4118; 05-20-2012 at 12:49 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Florida is very much a southern state outside of Southern Florida, but I agree with must you have said. And I saw that people were arguing rather Texas is the South or not and I personally think its, in its own region. I live in the South now and I visit Texas once a year and it just doesn't seem like its positioned in the right area. Maybe because Texas is directly beside the deep south but it isn't in the deep south itself...so it must be classified as its own region. But thats just my interpretation.

Btw: I love Chicago and Minneapolis ...

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City