Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs. San Francisco
Los Angeles 132 38.26%
San Francisco 213 61.74%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times

Advertisements

I am not from Chicago either but I will move to Chicago soon.

btw..I just could not stand the ignorant people who try to conflate LA's size with its significance. Get the picture, my friend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Downtown 1, you are pathetic. I don't even bother to read any of you're posts. Apparantely you have all the time in the world to come up with all these useless polls and sites favoring other cities other than Los Angeles. You also seem to have the time to waste you're time on this forum arguing with people about who's city is better like kids fighting over which game system is better! (If anything I can't help but laugh at you) Realize what you're doing, you are arguing about who's city is better online with people you don't even know and probably will never meet. Get over yourself and Chicago! I never bash Chicago unless its provocked by someone else because I couldn't care less.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:50 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
I am not from Chicago either but I will move to Chicago soon.

btw..I just could not stand the ignorant people who try to conflate LA's size with its significance. Get the picture, my friend?
We all get sucked into the web, but it's because some of us are emotional about where we live or in my case, where we used to live. I agree with the futility of arguing in favor of hometowns and such but I will say: "Downtown, you may be the last, great MO RON! Conflate, pleazzze! Leave THAT 25 dollar word alone, already. Be a happy little camper in Chicago and enjoy yourself!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:33 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,756,773 times
Quote:
Beone, do I really need to explain myself in profound detail by writing an essay about why I think that??

The Golden Gate Bridge and the Sears tower, last time I checked NYC and Los Angeles have bridges and towers as well and more.
Mount Rushmore? yes it's nice but who travels outside of the country to the United States to see Mount Rushmore?
The Grand Canyon? another great attraction but look where it's located. In the middle of nowhere! why would I send somebody to the Grand Canyon just to see it...unless he/she is REALLY into nature then I might as well send him/her to Los Angeles where there are beaches, lakes, and mountains not far from the city.

If a person has the capability to travel from city to city and from state to state to visit ALL that the U.S. has to see then that is phenomenal!! but if a person only had the opportunity to see one or two cities in the United States New York city and Los Angeles would be the place of recommendation in my opinon.

I meet a lot of foreign tourists on the subway. And a lot of them do head to places like Rushmore. It's often their second stop, NY being the gateway from Europe. I'm often surprised at the choices of destination that some people chose. But I stopped being surprised 10 years ago, when I saw it over and over and over again.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:37 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,181 times
Quote:
Beone, do I really need to explain myself in profound detail by writing an essay about why I think that??

The Golden Gate Bridge and the Sears tower, last time I checked NYC and Los Angeles have bridges and towers as well and more.
Mount Rushmore? yes it's nice but who travels outside of the country to the United States to see Mount Rushmore?
The Grand Canyon? another great attraction but look where it's located. In the middle of nowhere! why would I send somebody to the Grand Canyon just to see it...unless he/she is REALLY into nature then I might as well send him/her to Los Angeles where there are beaches, lakes, and mountains not far from the city.

If a person has the capability to travel from city to city and from state to state to visit ALL that the U.S. has to see then that is phenomenal!! but if a person only had the opportunity to see one or two cities in the United States New York city and Los Angeles would be the place of recommendation in my opinon.
Well, that's your opinion, but I would never recommend LA. I would recommend NYC and SF, above all, followed by Boston, D.C., Chicago and Seattle. Sorry, I would never recommend LA to anyone. Guess we have different opinions, huh?

Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Downtown 1, you are pathetic. I don't even bother to read any of you're posts. Apparantely you have all the time in the world to come up with all these useless polls and sites favoring other cities other than Los Angeles. You also seem to have the time to waste you're time on this forum arguing with people about who's city is better like kids fighting over which game system is better! (If anything I can't help but laugh at you) Realize what you're doing, you are arguing about who's city is better online with people you don't even know and probably will never meet. Get over yourself and Chicago! I never bash Chicago unless its provocked by someone else because I couldn't care less.
Oh, he's pathetic because he posted stats that show LA for what it is. I'd venture to say most people come to see Hollywood and leave LA extremely disappointed.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
In consideration of a relocation, weather is not a high priority. However, I have NEVER wanted to move to Florida, even though a lot of NYers think moving there would be paradise. To me, having hot every day is synonymous with hell on earth.

I certainly don't like the extreme weather we have in the NE corridor, particularly in July and January, but I do like some variation and change of seasons.

I really cannot picture myself singing 'Jingle bells' with shorts and sandals on. It just wouldn't feel right. It's supposed to be cold when it's Christmas!
For me...it is a very high priority - weather that is. I do love the weather in LA. I would love to have it be that nice and warm every day here.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:59 PM

Travel & Leisures World's Top 10 Cities!

Top 10 Cities Overall
1 Florence 86.90
2 Buenos Aires 86.75
3 Bangkok 86.56
4 Rome 86.30
5 Sydney 86.27
6 New York 85.36 (up from #8 last year)
7 Udaipur, India 85.12
8 Istanbul 84.78
9 San Francisco 84.60 (up from #10 last year)
10 Cape Town 84.12

Old 10-05-2007, 05:00 PM

Travel & Leisures 2007 Top 10 Cities (US and Canada)

Top 10 Cities U.S. and Canada
1 New York 85.36
2 San Francisco 84.60
3 Chicago 83.15
4 Santa Fe 83.05
5 Quebec City 82.81
6 Charleston, South Carolina 82.36
7 Vancouver 81.00
8 Montreal 79.98
9 Victoria, British Columbia 79.61
10 Seattle 79.18

Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Oh, he's pathetic because he posted stats that show LA for what it is. I'd venture to say most people come to see Hollywood and leave LA extremely disappointed.
And you are right. Nearly every person I know that has been to LA has come back dissapointed. Yes, they say the beach is nice (actually, the beaches are not even in LA), they say the moutains were nice, but none of them were impressed with the actual city that I know of. And as of now, I'm preparing to be bashed by yet another Angeleno for speaking my observations. God forbid some people don't like LA...

Old 10-06-2007, 05:52 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
A lot of vistors make the mistake of coming to the Los Angeles area and only going to Hollywood and downtown LA and not seeing areas like the Simi Hills easily visible from both Chatsworth Park North and South, the scenic view from Big Tujunga Canyon and Angeles Crest Highway in the San Gabriel Mountians, the nice shopping areas in Burbank (especially on Golden Mall Ave.) the beaches at Malibu and Leo Carrillo and many other local places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City