Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM

108 posts, read 423,009 times

Advertisements

What's a good city for a reclusive/homebody who spends most of their time on the internet playing video games, and only makes minimum wage (roughly $700-$800 per month working online)?

City must be in the top 50-100 in population (don't want to live out in the middle of nowhere).

Things that are NOT important:

* City attractions
* Quality of neighbors
* Art scene, museums, etc.
* Restaurants, nightlife, etc.
* Quality of schools (i'm single).
* Climate

Things that are VERY important:

* Broadband/Fiber optics/High Speed internet
* Cheap apartment for rent, cheap sales tax, cheap and inexpensive as possible.

THE ABOVE 2 ITEMS ARE FAR AND AWAY THE MOST IMPORTANT!!

* Local wal mart to do all shopping, including groceries
* Good public transportation to get to essential places around the city (government offices, doctors, dentist, work, etc.)

DISCLAIMER: I've researched for similar topics in the past, and usually people get "put down" who mention that they don't make a lot of money, or get lectured on their lifestyle by other posters. I'm not looking for any lifestyle advice, i'm only looking for a city to live in that meets the above criteria, and any help from the city experts/enthusiasts here would be sincerely and gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM

By the way, right now I'm in Los Angeles, CA, and I no longer wish to live here. Would love to, but it's too damn expensive, and for somebody who doesn't care to go out much, I'm paying a lot for great climate, location, and city attractions. I think a city more conducive to my reclusive lifestyle would allow me to get more 'bang for the buck' so to speak out of my limited budget.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
If you wanted a big city, then Houston TX or Jacksonville FL.

If you wanted someplace smaller, maybe Mobile AL, Pensacola FL or even Tallahassee FL. In these, you will have to position yourself on a bus route.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,309 times
Maybe Omaha, NE?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestions...What do you guys think about Albuquerque, NM?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
What games do you play? Some cities have very active gaming communities, others not so much.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Blizzard games like Wow, SC2, Diablo 3 which is coming out soon (mostly pc games in general).

Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
Well then I guess the console community doesn't matter but perhaps you should consider time zone, especially for WOW when you probably have a guild raid schedule. Do you want to stay on West Coast time zone?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 PM

I don't need anything that specific regarding any particular game. Most importantly is the criteria outlined in the original post.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
Indianapolis meets all those criteria and has the lowest cost of living of any major US city.
We also have the nations most affordable housing market and a very low tax rate compared to other Major US cities.
Plus where within a days drive to 75% of the US population for easy access
3 hour drive away from Chicago/Lake Michigan for a weekend gettaway.
Indy is also the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and ranked in the top 20 nationally.
Indianapolis is also famous for hosting large sporting events like the Indy 500/Brickyard 400 and now the Super Bowl. The NCAA Men and Womens Final Four are hosted here every 5 years and the Big Ten Tournament is held in Lucas Oil Stadium and Gen Con the largest Gaming Convention in North America 2nd only to E3. In addition to other massive conventions.
There is plenty of nightlife in Downtown Indy and bars/unique resturants like St Elmo's and Harry and Izzy's and the Indianapolis Colts Grille.
the Indianapolis area also has high speed fiber optics for you
Depending on where you live you can walk or bike to shopping etc especially if you live Downtown or near downtown in Fountain Square or the Near East Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City