Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
NYC is over priced,
How is NYC overpriced if it is the only big city where real estate did not take 30-50% hit in the last five years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Wow. Wow. Another one who doesn't understand what parochial means. Hoe can NY be parochial or provincial if it is in the center of it all? Lol.
Even the Chicagoans who made it ditch it for NY or LA...from Tina Fey to Kanye West - it happened all the time...
This is EXACTLY why NYC types can be provincial; they feel as though there's no reason to go anywhere else, and thus become very parochial..

Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM

87 posts, read 249,366 times
Agreed. Most NY'ers think the world ends at the Hudson River and can't fathom why anyone in their right mind would ever consider living elsewhere. I know this as I was one for many years.

And Tina Fey is from Philly not Chicago.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
This is EXACTLY why NYC types can be provincial; they feel as though there's no reason to go anywhere else, and thus become very parochial..
Again, you simply do not understand the meaning of the words provincial and parochial....
Look it up.

Last edited by rebel12; 05-25-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer71 View Post
Agreed. Most NY'ers think the world ends at the Hudson River and can't fathom why anyone in their right mind would ever consider living elsewhere. I know this as I was one for many years.

And Tina Fey is from Philly not Chicago.
Same goes for your successful people, somehow when they become successful they all move to NYC (or LA). Seems like they can't fathom living anywhere else, too

Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 AM

159 posts, read 428,217 times
Quote:
Is NYC the closest thing to a perfect metro?

Lol.

No.

Just no.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:01 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
I was talking with a Cali, Philly and DC booster in another thread which lead me to pose the question. We always pit every city/metro against NY and it loses. I know that NY isn't for everyone but most of us recognize its colossal strength. Is there another big metro that YOU think a person can get a little bit of the best of NY's offerings without actually living there ... Even if you could afford the NY lifestyle?

Top metros that come to mind that offer a large sample:

Atlanta - low COL, growth industries, skyline, economic strength, high QOL
Boston - dense, walkable, global, industry leader, high QOL, location
Chicago - massive area, skyline, dense pop, culture, architecture, high QOL
Dallas - strong job market, low COL, industry leader
DC - strong job market, global, high QOL, culture, architecture
Houston - global, diverse workforce, high QOL, massive area, low COL
LA - action, entertainment, culture, high QOL, massive area, diverse pop
Miami - action, entertainment, culture, low COL, high QOL
Philly- location, global, industry leader, massive, diverse pop, high QOL
SF - diverse workforce, culture, walkable, dense, high QOL, diverse pop, global
Seattle - strong job market, high QOL, architecure

Did I miss a city? Should I take a place off?
There are two questions here:

1. Is NYC the closest thing to a perfect metro?

In this country the answer is probably yes, though it is still far from perfect. To get to "perfect" we would need to get better weather, move the beaches and mountains closer to the city, vastly improve our dilapidated and outdated infrastructure, and reduce urban blight (especially in the outer boroughs).

As things currently stand, I'd say cities like London and Barcelona come much closer to "perfect" from a strictly urbanist perspective.

2. Is there another big metro where a person can get a little bit of the best of NY's offerings without actually living there?

In this country -- not really. Chicago probably comes closest overall, followed by SF, Boston, Philly and DC. While each of these cities can give you many of the same cultural and entertainment amenities as NYC, none of them will give you NY's energy and buzz... which is at the core of what makes NY NY.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
There are two questions here:

1. Is NYC the closest thing to a perfect metro?

In this country the answer is probably yes, though it is still far from perfect. To get to "perfect" we would need to get better weather, move the beaches and mountains closer to the city, vastly improve our dilapidated and outdated infrastructure, and reduce urban blight (especially in the outer boroughs).

As things currently stand, I'd say cities like London and Barcelona come much closer to "perfect" from a strictly urbanist perspective.

2. Is there another big metro where a person can get a little bit of the best of NY's offerings without actually living there?

In this country -- not really. Chicago probably comes closest overall, followed by SF, Boston, Philly and DC. While each of these cities can give you many of the same cultural and entertainment amenities as NYC, none of them will give you NY's energy and buzz... which is at the core of what makes NY NY.

oh PUHleeeeassse!

Born and raised in the Bronx and soo over this NYC attitude. Seriously, there are plenty of other places with "buzz"..its just that ya'all wanna convince the rest of the world how great NYC is (and yourselves.)
NYC is:

Big
Dirty
Congested
Expensive
Socially disparate
Overrated

So NYC get OVER yourselves. You are not all that.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
oh PUHleeeeassse!

Born and raised in the Bronx and soo over this NYC attitude. Seriously, there are plenty of other places with "buzz"..its just that ya'all wanna convince the rest of the world how great NYC is (and yourselves.)
NYC is:

Big
Dirty
Congested
Expensive
Socially disparate
Overrated

So NYC get OVER yourselves. You are not all that.
Maybe you feel this way because you were born and raised in the Bronx? You might have felt differently if you had grown up in a nice part of town.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Maybe you feel this way because you were born and raised in the Bronx? You might have felt differently if you had grown up in a nice part of town.

See? This is that I am talkin about. For serious? If my mama had more money, I would ignore the problems NYC has got? Snobs that get heated when you disagree with them..yep, that's got NYC written all over it.

For your info, I have lived in all 5 boroughs. Moved away lst year and wondered WHY I spent over 30 years buyin the NYC hype. It is not all its cracked up to be. If you are blind to what it is, warts and all, you deserve to live in a bubble surrounded by others buyin the same head trip. For the rest of us, its a big beautiful world out there. Let NYC be the cartoon that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City