Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times

Advertisements

Both are highly overpriced areas where many rich commuters live. Heavily taxed. More conservative than their respective cities (especially true for Orange County), lots of cookie cutter housing developments with more ranch like areas in the rural parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Both are highly overpriced areas where many rich commuters live. Heavily taxed. More conservative than their respective cities (especially true for Orange County), lots of cookie cutter housing developments with more ranch like areas in the rural parts.

Older Coastal OC isn't cookie cutter or conservative. Housewives of OC sure..Laguna Beach..gay capital of Southern California/Old Balboa Isle andPeninsula..old money and international cash with old historic Cape Cod style housing that puts Beverly Hills PSF. to shame..Don't know much about Northern New Jersey so will not compare..but yes...most of OC can be cookie cutter..just not the nicest areas..outside MCmansion Newport Coast.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Older Coastal OC isn't cookie cutter or conservative. Housewives of OC sure..Laguna Beach..gay capital of Southern California/Old Balboa Isle andPeninsula..old money and international cash with old historic Cape Cod style housing that puts Beverly Hills PSF. to shame..Don't know much about Northern New Jersey so will not compare..but yes...most of OC can be cookie cutter..just not the nicest areas..outside MCmansion Newport Coast.
Fair enough, I do enjoy Laguna Beach and San Clemente, and Balboa Island is quite charming. I was more talking about Orange County in general, I understand that some areas can be exceptions.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
north jersey is the center of the universe

Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,906 times
Bergen County & Hudson County, NJ and Orange County, CA could be comparable. Both border near a big city, both are expensive, wealthy, generally good public schools, religious, conservative, and beautiful/diverse.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Maybe it used to be, but the gay capital(s) of Southern California are West Hollywood and Palm Springs.

Laguna Beach is basically just a rich "arts colony" now, with most of the gay establishments long gone... which is a shame.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Maybe it used to be, but the gay capital(s) of Southern California are West Hollywood and Palm Springs.

Laguna Beach is basically just a rich "arts colony" now, with most of the gay establishments long gone... which is a shame.
My friend worked in Laguna Beach at a coffee shop for a few months... He said the clientele was almost exclusively gay men (who really liked his beard ). The owner of the coffee shop was also gay I believe. It may not be as gay-centric as West Hollywood but from what I hear it is still a very gay-friendly area.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
i find the comparison highly offensive. new jersey (and the northeast in general) is an embarrassment to the US. why compare it to one of the few decent places your country has to offer?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
I think both above posts have merit..Palm Springs of course is very gay,,used to live in West Hollywood,,same thing exists in much of central Denver for that matter...Laguna beach may have lost the W House,Boom Boom Room ect..but it's very common to see same sex couples showing affection and I mean that loosely just about anywhere . There are many and I mean many openly S. style gays hanging out at pretty much every type of club,restaurant. I have a friend who will go unnamed who is from a highly focused political family from Newport who is paid 10k monthly to stay exclusively in LB and act and dress straight so he won't embarass his conservative high profile parents.( more to the point hides his so called perversions.)

Yes, Laguna is very much a gay capital. I see guys holding hands ect. daily...damn those gays...seems to be theme for me on this board today..perhaps I'm just waiting for the right guy,,,never gonna happen..going straight to gay or visa versa is like fishing for sharks in Lake Tahoe..I love those gay agenda idiots who state there is somehow a conversion program. Anyway LB is one of the gay capitals so who really cares(I don't which is more gay..how is that? last time i checked I was turned on by women, but alcohol does dangerous things..lol.

Last edited by Scott5280; 08-14-2012 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,006 times
It isn't Bronzer, that's for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City