Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is overall better & Would rather live in?
N. New Jersey, NJ 20 47.62%
Rockland County, NY 4 9.52%
Westchester County, NJ 11 26.19%
Long Island, NY 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,896 times

Advertisements

Both Northern New Jersey, Rockland County, Westchester County and Long Island are suburbs and close to New York City.

Which of those are overall better? Included living, culture, housing, lifestyle, enterteiment, housing etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 07:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Default Northern New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Both Northern New Jersey, Rockland County, Westchester County and Long Island are suburbs and close to New York City.

Which of those are overall better? Included living, culture, housing, lifestyle, enterteiment, housing etc.
Northern New Jersey consists of the counties of Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Union, Morris, Passiac, Sussex and Warren..... possibly Mercer, Somerset, Middlessex, Hunterdon and Monmouth depending on the definition.

Even though I want to vote for Long Island (Nassau & Suffolk) I would have to be completely biased if I ignored the whole of Northern New Jersey the way you have it on this poll.

Westchester County is actually my favorite out of all of these. Actually I like all of them especially Suffolk, Bergen, Morris and Somerset. The northern less developed parts of Passaic, Rockland and Nassau are pretty cool. Also Sussex is great for people who want a rural area near the city, while Hudson is pretty citish in most areas.

Btw you left out two other great counties, Orange and Fairfield.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,751 times
it really isn't necessary to focus on the various subregions of the greater nyc metropolitan area, as there are highly desirable towns in literally every direction from nyc.

virtually every suburban county in the region has its share of high-end towns with a nice housing stock, well-manicured streets, top-notch public schools, good shopping nearby, and a reasonable commute to the city. some people might prefer one county or subregion over the others, but in the end, it's all about finding a suitable town that matches your interests and needs rather than focusing on LI vs. NJ vs. westchester or whatever.

even the less affluent, less prestigious suburban/exurban counties of the nyc metropolitan area contain some of its elite towns. for example, orange county (just north and west of rockland county in upstate ny) is dismissed by some as a poor/redneck/backwoods/mountain hillbilly sort of place, but it also happens to contain one of the region's most affluent towns, tuxedo park. does it matter that it's in orange county? or that it's on the west side of the hudson rather than the east side? of course not.

again, it's all about the individual town.

for the record, i chose northern nj in your poll because it contains the closest suburban towns to midtown and downtown manhattan. but really, you can't go wrong no matter which direction you head from the city.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
I used to live in Rockland County and its cool. Actually all the areas you ask about are really nice areas to live in.

But I pick NNJ cause I spent the most time in that area and could see myself living there(L.I. too)

Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
I like all 4 areas. However, the landscape diversity you get in Northern NJ is unmatched by the other 3. In Northern NJ, within 45 minutes drive you can be in the mountains, on a farm, in a tree-lined wealthy suburb, in a blue collar suburb, or in a dense urban brownstone neighborhood. You can't really find that landscape diversity in the other 3 areas, and if you do, it's far less extreme.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I like all 4 areas. However, the landscape diversity you get in Northern NJ is unmatched by the other 3. In Northern NJ, within 45 minutes drive you can be in the mountains, on a farm, in a tree-lined wealthy suburb, in a blue collar suburb, or in a dense urban brownstone neighborhood. You can't really find that landscape diversity in the other 3 areas, and if you do, it's far less extreme.
In Westchester County you can.

Individually, Westchester cannot take on all of Northern New Jersey by itself of course. But alone, I think it is one of the best counties in the Nation.

Like I said before, I like ALL of these counties, and I would not mind living in any of them, except for maybe Hudson. Hudson is a bit too urban and crowded (mostly) and after 20 years of living in Brooklyn & Queens, I want something different. Although I understand the urban attraction for other people, I need a place to park my car when I come home at night, lol!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,178 times
N. Nj

Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Jersey, easily.

Hot Indian girls.
Hot Asian girls.
Hot Jamaican girls.
Hot Italian girls.
Hot Jewish girls.
Hot Puerto Rican and Dominican girls.

Yeah, there it is.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Individually, Westchester cannot take on all of Northern New Jersey by itself of course. But alone, I think it is one of the best counties in the Nation.
Orange County, CA could certainly give Westchester a run for it's money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City