Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to practice medicine for a year? 30 year old!
Seattle/Portland/PNW - lush, educated, scenic, dreary 6 31.58%
SF/Bay Area - culture, good weather, food, expensive 1 5.26%
Sacramento - less expensive, valley, Tahoe/proximity, CA taxes 4 21.05%
Houston/Austin/TX - NO STATE TAX, no geography, big city, cheap airplane tickets 5 26.32%
Florida - nice weather, water, trashy (sorry) 1 5.26%
Montana/Utah/Idaho - different, serene, find yourself 0 0%
NYC/Boston/DC - epicenter of culture, different, expensive, cold 1 5.26%
Other 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM

461 posts, read 861,994 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Doing a lot of investigations! Thanks for the help in advance!

Here is my situation:
I am finishing up my residency and am able to move anywhere I am able to find a job - should be most places given my specialty in internal medicine. I will most likely be working 7 days on and 7 days off. This will allow me to travel and enjoy other hobbies. I hope to make a good amount of money to pay off medical school loans this year.
The bigger the city, the lower the pay - pure supply and demand law - even for physicians. I would love to live in SF, but the low pay and high cost of living would simply not allow me to achieve the goals below.
I like geography, music, good food, diversity, warm weather, and like the finer arts such as museums, theater, etc.

My goals for next year:
- Travel/See the world and country
- Make as much $$ as I can to pay off medical school loans
- Save some $$
- Take some time to work on me - relationships, health, etc.

I really wanted to move to California - SD and the Bay area are in my opinion is the nicest places to live in the country, but they are expensive and California taxes may take away from my goal of saving up some $$ to pay off loans.
The caveat is that, after a year of working, I will most likely move to Sacramento for further training x 2 years.

Seattle and the PNW seem great! Dreary weather x 6-8 months seem to be the only drawback there. Otherwise, I would move there in a heart beat I think.

Austin and Houston - TX are very attractive due to NO STATE TAXES - enabling me to get more bang for my buck! This is the other extreme of California. On the other hand, no geography or deep culture like the east coast. Good weather though - I like warm weather.

Floridian water and sunshine are attractive, but the humidity and the malpractice insurance and tort in FL are scary.

Any other ideas? Suggestions? Even thought about trying to move to Montana/Idaho and make some big bucks while having "a year out in nature."
I am a great position and the above is a good problem to have - especially in the face of a crummy economy.
Help me out! Always nice to read the perspectives out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 PM

484 posts, read 883,365 times
If I were you I would actually check out Denver, CO. It's in a central location with a major airport that will take you all over the country. And it is located just east of the Rockies, which will allow you to enjoy some stunning geography. The winters are cold, but usually aren't all that harsh. Denver doesn't receive as much rain as a most of the cities on your list, which depending on your preference could be a plus. Lastly, Denver is a great city for people your age and I think you would fit in well.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
I think I would go with Houston in your shoes. It's inexpensive but still has good pay. International flights are numerous and reasonably priced from Houston. BTW, Seattle has no state income tax also which is a big issue when you get above about $150K/yr. As you already mentioned, dreary weather for 6-8 months is a buzz kill...I consider moving every winter.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
If I were you I would actually check out Denver, CO. It's in a central location with a major airport that will take you all over the country. And it is located just east of the Rockies, which will allow you to enjoy some stunning geography. The winters are cold, but usually aren't all that harsh. Denver doesn't receive as much rain as a most of the cities on your list, which depending on your preference could be a plus. Lastly, Denver is a great city for people your age and I think you would fit in well.
Thanks for the input. I have thought about Denver many a times...do you think it would be a good move for a year? I am most likely finished after a year!

Denver is smack dab in the middle...does it get isolating?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think I would go with Houston in your shoes. It's inexpensive but still has good pay. International flights are numerous and reasonably priced from Houston. BTW, Seattle has no state income tax also which is a big issue when you get above about $150K/yr. As you already mentioned, dreary weather for 6-8 months is a buzz kill...I consider moving every winter.
Hmmm...I didn't realize WA didn't have state tax either...makes the PNW even more desirable...

Old 11-05-2013, 07:32 PM

Any other ideas?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Thanks for the input. I have thought about Denver many a times...do you think it would be a good move for a year? I am most likely finished after a year!

Denver is smack dab in the middle...does it get isolating?
I could see how it could get isolated. If you want a place with great road trips for a weekend you'll need to go to the northeast or the west coast.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I could see how it could get isolated. If you want a place with great road trips for a weekend you'll need to go to the northeast or the west coast.
Hence, my pull to go to the west coast. i was thinking perhaps somewhere in CA...but again, TAXES.

I am realizing that both FL and TX don't have taxes! I am really digging that, but not much of any road trips from either places...but nice tickets from Houston.

Perhaps the PNW as I can drive down to the CA from there.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 AM

The PNW would be cheaper than CA tax wise but honestly Seattle to San Francisco is a pretty good drive (Or Portland to SF even). And the beaches aren't really warm unless you go to Southern Cal. There may be some areas in Southern Cal that are more affordable and would work. If money were no object I would love to live in Southern Cal.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:00 AM

456 posts, read 775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Hence, my pull to go to the west coast. i was thinking perhaps somewhere in CA...but again, TAXES.

I am realizing that both FL and TX don't have taxes! I am really digging that, but not much of any road trips from either places...but nice tickets from Houston.

Perhaps the PNW as I can drive down to the CA from there.
We're only 807 miles from San Francisco, just a short 12 hour trip.
Ben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City