Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best beaches besides those specified?
Texas 12 11.43%
New York 9 8.57%
New Jersey 12 11.43%
South Carolina 13 12.38%
Virginia 7 6.67%
North Carolina 20 19.05%
Oregon 3 2.86%
Illinois 2 1.90%
Georgia 4 3.81%
Other (Please specify) 23 21.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer71 View Post
Yes, SC. Isle of Palms is awesome. Also, Michigan has some awesome beaches on the lakes. Beautiful clear water and no sharks! Massachusetts - The Cape, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket. And even though I think the state is sort of a dump, Jersey has nice beaches especially south of Atlantic City.
Where have you been in NJ that you view it as a dump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 AM

87 posts, read 249,411 times
I lived there for several years, actually. Just one man's opinion. Some great beaches though!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer71 View Post
I lived there for several years, actually. Just one man's opinion. Some great beaches though!
The only dumpy parts I see are concentrated in a very small section along the Turnpike. I think every state is entitled to a few ugly square miles. Other than that, the state is pretty good looking to my eyes.

Regarding beaches, I like the whole northeast for beaches, so it's hard to say which state in particular has the best. Massachusetts, Long Island, and New Jersey would be my frontrunners. NJ's ocean coast is actually among the largest outside of Florida - I think only the 2 Carolinas have a longer ocean coast. NJ has so many beach towns and each one has a totally different flavor, so NJ wins in my book for beach diversity. Fire Island (NY) and Cape May (NJ) are super unique and super beautiful.

Maine's coastline is AWESOME, but from my experiences there, the beaches aren't very user-friendly, aka the sand is not that soft and the water is frigid. But I've only been to a couple of beaches up there, so this might not be representative of the whole.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Well the closest you will get to HI, CA or FL beaches is no doubt Corpus Christi Texas .

I must add that I'm very impressed with their beaches.

Since those states were omitted from this discussion, that obviously means that they are the best, and Corpus Christi beaches are the closest to resembling those states exotic beaches.

Tall Washingtonia palms, Canary Island date palms and Royal Palms all can be grown in Corpus Christi.

None of those other states can do this. Those exotic palms make the beach experience that much better.

Texas for the win!!
States on the Gulf Coast, Carolinas, and Georgia will grow those palms...

Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Well the closest you will get to HI, CA or FL beaches is no doubt Corpus Christi Texas .

I must add that I'm very impressed with their beaches.

Since those states were omitted from this discussion, that obviously means that they are the best, and Corpus Christi beaches are the closest to resembling those states exotic beaches.

Tall Washingtonia palms, Canary Island date palms and Royal Palms all can be grown in Corpus Christi.

None of those other states can do this. Those exotic palms make the beach experience that much better.

Texas for the win!!
Actually, Georgia, Carolinas and Gulf Coast states will also grow those.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Most likely along the NJ Turnpike. It's very cliche to drive past the industrial lands near Newark Airport and Elizabeth and form an opinion of the state. That said, I prefer South Jersey and it no doubt has the best beaches in the state.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I think NY beaches are much nicer than California's (and I live in Surf City, USA - Huntington Beach, CA)
The further east on Long Island you go, the nicer they get.

I also like the Outer Banks of North Carolina
Everything about long island is amazing... The beaches are out of this world!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I would say Camden, Asbury Park and Paterson are dumps. Nj has really nice areas but it also has a ton of really really terrible ones.

Try Deal if ya wanna see some cool looking McMansions.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,571 times
Only have pics of TX beaches.

Port A

love to get my beach camping on!

South Padre

Beaches are all about functionality for me...I'm not that jazzed by the ocean to begin with like some people are, so I don't get the appeal of just sitting in the sand staring at the water...you can do that at any beach. For my beach experience I like solitude, as well as being able to get in, swim, kayak, and wear summer clothing, preferably year-round, so I'm a fan of the gulf coast, especially the unpopulated parts like Port Aransas TX, where you have miles and miles of quiet, unpopulated coastline.

That said, I voted for North Carolina and the Outer Banks...also have enjoyed Alabama (Orange Beach), Delaware (Rehoboth Beach), and some Great Lakes beaches are pretty great.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Virginia has some AWESOME BEACHES! Loved my time in Virginia Beach... surprised it doesn't have more votes.

New Jersey does have some really dumpy beaches (looking at you Seaside) but there are some gorgeous beaches as well... LBI, Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor, Wildwood Crest, Cape May... and those are just the ones in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City