Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:31 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Agreed on that.

Agreed, Huntsville is not large.
As of now. In 1900 Nashville had half the population of Dayton. Things can change with sustained rapid growth as Huntsville is experiencing. But as of now Huntsville is not that large and I agree that that is why GA feels so different than AL today. Other than Huntsville AL's largest cities are growing slow by Sunbelt standards.

2010 to 2011 population growth

Atlanta +1.71%
Augusta +.89%
Savannah +2.29%
Columbus +2.23%

Birmingham +0.37%
Mobile -.01%
Montgomery +1.09%
Huntsville +1.89%

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That's actually false. Athens is the most left-wing city in Georgia.
Well Athens is more of a town, with an MSA less than 200K. So let me be technical: Atlanta is the only sizable center-left/progressive area of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
And Augusta is strongly progressive too. So progressiveness is spread across multiple metros in GA, as it is in NC.
I disagree with this, but we'd be right back to our previous argument where we agreed to disagree. But even if I thought this was true, for the sake of argument, it still isn't close to the way NC's more sizable metros, on average, are distributed across the state in the form of three 1.5 million+ CSAs (Charlotte, Triangle, Triad) plus Asheville. Had Georgia had that sort of set-up, it probably would have barely went for Obama as well.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,501 times
I think the new deep south should be Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and South carolina( even though it doesnt border the other states). They just have so much in common it impossible to say they cant be grouped together

Old 06-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Not really Metro Atlanta makes about 60% of the state pop, Which is like NC's 3 largest CSAs combined.
Yes really. That doesn't change the fact that the major metros in NC are more evenly distributed throughout the state.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 PM

63 posts, read 76,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes really. That doesn't change the fact that the major metros in NC are more evenly distributed throughout the state.
It really does not mater, there will never be a main center of population in NC like there is in GA.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascatlman View Post
It really does not mater, there will never be a main center of population in NC like there is in GA.
Right, and I'm arguing that this essentially makes NC more progressive at the state level. Having EVERYTHING in Atlanta is good for Atlanta, but not really all that great for Georgia.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times
Quote:
But even if I thought this was true, for the sake of argument, it still isn't close to the way NC's more sizable metros, on average, are distributed across the state in the form of three 1.5 million+ CSAs (Charlotte, Triangle, Triad) plus Asheville.
GA doesn't have to be identical or almost identical to NC to be much more like NC than like AL. Nor for its voting patterns to much more closely resemble NC than AL. Nor for which political issues it finds more important between fiscal and social to be more similar to NC than to AL.

Obama vs. McCain 2008:
Atlanta/Fulton County, GA went 67% vs. 32%
Augusta/Richmond County, GA went 66% vs. 34%
Athens/Clarke County, GA went 65% vs. 34%

Charlotte/Mecklenburg County, NC went 62% vs. 38%
Raleigh/Wake County, NC went 57% vs. 42%

Birmingham/Jefferson County, AL went 52% vs. 47%
Mobile County, AL went 54% vs. 45%

Old 06-04-2012, 03:44 PM

63 posts, read 76,527 times
Quote:
Right, and I'm arguing that this essentially makes NC more progressive at the state level. Having EVERYTHING in Atlanta is good for Atlanta, but not really all that great for Georgia.
You know Savannah, massive port-Fort Stewart, Augusta-massive medical center-Fort Gordon, Macon-Warner Robins AFB, Columbus-Fort Benning, Valdosta-Moody AFB, Kings Bay Nuclear complex-Camden County are not exactly slouches, you make it seem like NC is the center of the universe.

Last edited by mascatlman; 06-04-2012 at 04:11 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
GA doesn't have to be identical or almost identical to NC to be much more like NC than like AL. Nor for its voting patterns to much more closely resemble NC than AL. Nor for which political issues it finds more important between fiscal and social to be more similar to NC than to AL.
The point of that statement was contrasting GA and NC alone, not in regards to the original question. But I still think the best way to make the comparison among all three states is to take statewide politics into the equation as well as opposed to just looking at national election year stats. Looking at the way each state operates, GA is a bit closer to AL than NC in my opinion. And I think this goes back to Atlanta being THE sole big dog in the state. Both GA and NC, like most other Southern states, experience a good bit of oversize influence from rural areas of the state, but in GA, Atlanta is the big easy target. Governors in GA get elected based on how much hatred they can spew towards Atlanta. However, because of the distribution of larger metros in NC, it's a little harder for rural politicians have an explicit anti-urban bias in that state. I also think because Atlanta is soooo much bigger than any other place in the state, it comes across as more "foreign" to rural folks which makes it easier to hate/dislike. The gap isn't quite as big between the rural areas and NC's largest metro regions, so they don't quite come across as the "big, bad city" in the same way since there's not such a drastic size gap as is present in GA.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascatlman View Post
You know Savannah, massive port, Augusta-massive medical center, Macon, Columbus-Fort Benning are not exactly slouches, you make it seem like NC is the center of the universe.
We were talking about population and, by extension, the largest concentration of amenities and assets. Atlanta wins that contest in Georgia by a huge margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City