Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
I respect your OPINION but all I can say is.... you know nothing about architecture.
Downtown Los Angeles only. But West L.A.? I just like it because of the uniformity driving down the Boulevards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Los Angeles has a small amount of his houses. NYC has his architecture, too. The one I'm most familiar with is the Guggenheim.

Yeah, that was funny... If you're 7 years old. You, like Donnie, don't understand true character and architecture, typical of Angelenos.
Quote:
Oh, please. Discussing architecture with them? It's like you try to explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity to a blonde.
The Ennis and The Hollyhock are more than enough; too bad he didn't have the time or energy to design something of public stature for a location that could have really shown it off more so than any other. We can also discuss 'string' theory, Downy! I'll meet you over on Dimwits-Data.com. Future, you haven't exactly 'jelled' yet, so you stay tied up in the yard!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
The Ennis and The Hollyhock are more than enough; too bad he didn't have the time or energy to design something of public stature for a location that could have really shown it off more so than any other. We can also discuss 'string' theory, Downy! I'll meet you over on Dimwits-Data.com. Future, you haven't exactly 'jelled' yet, so you stay tied up in the yard!
LA's best piece of architecture is the Disney Hall... Oh, and the Getty. Nothing that's displayed too much. You may see it in the background out of focus on E! while checking out Paris Hilton's red dress, though!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Quote:
Oh, please. Discussing architecture with them? It's like you try to explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity to a blonde.
So true. They're the most closed-minded people. I'm in shock that they can even say some of the things they come up with. The only thing they can think about is Entertainment Tonight and *** Magazine. Dudes obsessed with Hollywood? Please, Milky, keep away from me. I don't play that way.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:31 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Did you forget Chicago? Just look at the antique buildings on Michigan Ave or in the Loop. It's also the birthplace of the skyscraper.
No, but I'm not much a fan of skyscraper architecture. Granted, there is some great skyscraper architecture in this country, particularily Chicago, it's not architecture I really care about. I find the architecture of areas of LA, such as Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Los Feliz, Brentwood, Westwood, etc... more pleasing than the neighborhood architecture of Chicago.

I know Santa Monica and West Hollywood are independent cities, but they can be considered in an argument about LA neighborhoods since both are surrounded by LA.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I respect your OPINION but all I can say is.... you know nothing about architecture.
I bet I know much more about architecture than the average person - by a long shot. Architecture is not simply restricted to downtown buildings or certain buildings of your choice - EVERY building is architecture. Therefore, you cannot make blank statements about one cities architecture over another based on downtown architecture alone, you would have to evaluate nearly every building. The architecture of LA (outside the downtown) is more pleasing to me than the architecture of Chicago. Period!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Downtown Los Angeles only. But West L.A.? I just like it because of the uniformity driving down the Boulevards.
Exactly! Paris is especially breathtaking because of its architectural uniformity.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
LA's best piece of architecture is the Disney Hall... Oh, and the Getty. Nothing that's displayed too much. You may see it in the background out of focus on E! while checking out Paris Hilton's red dress, though!
LA's best architecture is the buildings found in Los Feliz, or the grand mansions of Beverly Hills, or Manns Chinese Theater, or any number of apartment buildings in certain areas of the city.

To me, the main buildings/sites of a city don't make for great architecture. The architecture found on any street in any neighborhood makes for great architecture! That is why San Francisco is so charming - the housing architecture in the neighborhoods.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:35 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
To say Houston is more better then San Fran then the eye of the beholder must be blind as a bat.
I can actually cosign with KerrTown. To me, Houston has a lot on San Francisco. Many like Houston better because of the culture and lifestyle. I like my cities to have flavor and soul, with a significant amount of activities for Blacks and Latinos (New York, Chicago, Houston, Miami, Atlanta). There's no way San Francisco beats Houston in that category. And for a lot of people, all that matters is that a city has an abundance of their culture. I would only live in a San Fran or a Seattle if I had no choice.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:02 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
If you said Chicago architecture is a typical "downtown architecture" then my statement stands correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
I bet I know much more about architecture than the average person - by a long shot. Architecture is not simply restricted to downtown buildings or certain buildings of your choice - EVERY building is architecture. Therefore, you cannot make blank statements about one cities architecture over another based on downtown architecture alone, you would have to evaluate nearly every building. The architecture of LA (outside the downtown) is more pleasing to me than the architecture of Chicago. Period!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City