Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times

Advertisements

Orlando and Tampa are sleepers here. I would also put Dallas and Houston there. I don't know for sure, but I imagine that with the layout of the city not reliant on transport, the NE cities are bit overrated here... All that time walking and being close to sights makes for a much more laid back lifestyle than I'd think someone would imagine moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:44 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times
In my personal experience, The fastest cities are New york, Los Angeles & Las vegas respectively.

Than of course you would have to throw in Chicago, Miami, San Francisco & D.c

Also we have to break down what defines a fast pace city in different categories.

Transportation : N.y / Chi
Freeway Traffic : L.A /D.c /Atl
Street Traffic : L.A /N.y
Pedestrian Traffic : N.y/Vegas/L.A/Chi/San fran
Busiest airport : Chi /Atl /L.A
Most visited : N.y /L.A /Chi
Fashion Capitals : N.y /L.A
Malls & Shopping : L.A /N.y
Most crowded beaches : L.A /Miami
Most crowded areas : N.y /Vegas /Hollywood /Chi
Award shows : L.A /N.y /Vegas
Most parades & concert : N.y /L.A
24/7 activity : N.y /Vegas /Hollywood

But a person could live fast in a slow city & than a person could live slow in a fast city so it's based on a person's lifestyle to adapt to the city he/her is living in.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:47 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Star View Post
Good job, as I consider the part of Texas outside east Texas to be in the Southwest, so Dallas and Houston are Southwestern cities to me. Southern Louisiana is different from the classical Southern that is northern Louisiana, New Orleans especially is it's own animal, just a different entity from any place in the world.
People always debate whether Texas is a Southern state, but it's way too big to just classify as Southern; East Texas is generally where Texas' outright Southerness ends. With that being said, Houston still seems very Southern to me (especially culturally), while Dallas doesn't seem very Southern to me at all these days. I think this is one reason why people usually say that people in Houston are nicer and more down to Earth than Dallas folks, and why many people perceive a lot of people in Dallas to be "snobbish" and have an attitude; because Houston has much more of a Southern hospitality vibe. Just my opinion.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:03 AM

696 posts, read 1,169,642 times
New York
Chicago
Philly
Miami
DC
SF
LA
Vegas

Old 05-22-2015, 10:57 AM

233 posts, read 333,938 times
New york feels significantly more fast paced than Philly to me. SF, DC and Chicago feel about the same as Philly. Baltimore feels slower.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:46 PM

313 posts, read 336,508 times
N.Y.C., Philly , Chi town , Vagas but not D.C. the Feds taked forever to get any thing done ! One exception spending tax dollars .

*post script (I apologize for the commentary )

Last edited by kingtutaaa; 05-22-2015 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: post script

Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
NYC and Chicago the most over whelming urban canyon wall vertical dense and rail transit environments. Floors? Stations? Airports? etc...Outside these cities not so much.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:02 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
NYC is an island of its own. LA is fast-paced, but it's a totally different style. There's no "New York minute" in LA, but there's a lot of fast "movement" everywhere with cars, everywhere, going every which way, all the time. I think it's just hard to compare LA to other cities because of the nature of LA - it's definitely MUCH bigger/denser than Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc, but it doesn't have the urban city vibe of New York or other smaller cities like SF, Philly, Chicago, Boston...so while it's fast paced, it's just fast-paced in a different kind of way. I'll be in a car down there with locals and out of 4-5 people, 1-2 will undoubtedly by "real-time" route planning with traffic apps for the area.

For "urban cities" that I have lived in, been to, etc, I feel like again, here too there are discrepancies. Chicago's CBD is probably the fastest paced outside of NYC, followed super close almost indiscriminately different by SF, Philly, or Boston. On the whole, I don't find Chicago to be super fast-paced at all...it's a hustle and bustle in the Loop and nearby, and calm elsewhere, but that's just what I've experienced - plus the people are pretty darn laid back. I find Boston, DC, and SF to be on the whole the fastest paced urban cities outside of NYC. People are working real hard in these cities, people are super competitive in these cities, and people play real hard in these cities, too (I'd take the "play" part out of Boston, personally, but in DC and SF there's definitely a microcosm of the NYC "work hard play hard" mentality). All of that lends itself more to a "go go go" attitude and pace outside of CBD/work hours.

I think it's hard to quantifiable or qualitatively rank the pace of cities, but it's hard to deny that New York is its own beast.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:24 PM

14 posts, read 18,010 times
New York/Boston/DC
LA/SF/Philly/Chicago
Miami/Pittsburgh/TX cities

Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Miami maybe in the South but it's still far more fast paced than any southern city except Washington DC. It's the culture, a lot of transplants in Miami are from the East Coast, specifically NYC or Boston. There is a rat race here, a lot of immigrants, tourists, traffic and so on.

I can compare Miami to cities like Atlanta and Houston, and she is much more fast paced. Miami falls in the category with Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City