Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:17 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times

Advertisements

Italian Beef.....or let's put it this way, I've never HEARD of NYC Italian Beef. Chicago's is more notorious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 10:18 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Absolutely. I think the concept of trendy bars, and sports bars in particular, is a Chicago invention. Chicago is more of hard-core sports city. New York, because it is so big and so diverse, really doesn't have a core of people who live and die with it's teams... For every Yankees' or Giants' fan, there is an equal number who are into NYC's cultural vibe (for example) who could give a damn about sports... In fact, it is that aspect that really turns me off about New York. (I call it the Ivy League mentality: that somehow being bad in sports proves that you are smarter); and, of course, New York is ground zero (pardon the expression) for the Ivy League ... It is full of cultural/intellectual snobs who look down on sports fans, as if it's some kind of anti-intellectual, lower class activity. Obviously, such a mentality is nonexistant in in Chi-town.
So Chicago is a bunch of meatheads?

Old 06-10-2012, 12:24 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Really hot summers and really cold winters. Oh, and Gary.
Ha!

You're right on the winters of course, but Chicago summers? WRONG! I'll take Chicago's lukewarm breezy and usually pleasant one's over New York's steamy, smelly, one's any day. Then again, I'll take New York's usually snow filled but above freezing winters over Chicago's ice and frost bite, usually four month one's!

And to answer your questions, Chicago offers: Navy Pier, deep dish pizza, different architecture, GOOD popcorn (!), the BEST baseball stadium and surrounding neighborhood in the country (Wrigley), and in my opinion better festivals during the summer.

But New York is the culture capital of the US and offers much more that Chicago doesn't have than what Chicago offers that New York doesn't have. If someone ever says Chicago has more than New York they are full of it.

Needless to say, I'll take Chicago to live and New York to visit.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Really hot summers and really cold winters. Oh, and Gary.
Where do people keep getting this idea that Chicago has these blazing hot crazy summers?? It's a fairly northern city. If it's hot in Chicago....it's probably more hot for the 2/3 of the US population living anywhere east or south.

I mean it gets hot here during heatwaves, but even during the hottest weeks of summer the average is 84 degrees.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:16 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Where do people keep getting this idea that Chicago has these blazing hot crazy summers?? It's a fairly northern city. If it's hot in Chicago....it's probably more hot for the 2/3 of the US population living anywhere east or south.

I mean it gets hot here during heatwaves, but even during the hottest weeks of summer the average is 84 degrees.
People LOVE to exaggerate - temperatures can be verified on the internet. I think they hope no one will take the time.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either. Ten years is a lot of time in the ever-changing city of New York, and I think it's definitely worth visiting again. Chicago is also worth visiting, especially since you've never been there before. The lake and architecture are stunning, the music, nightlife, and food are fantastic and unique, and the city just has a history, personality and a vibe completely different from New York. Chicago may not offer much that New York doesn't offer, but Chicago just offers things in a different way. The cities are far less similar than they seem from a far, which is a good thing for both cities.

Personally, I'd base the decision upon when you are planning to make a trip. If it's summer, I'd say Chicago is the better choice. That city is absolutely amazing in the summer, and it comes alive in such a grand way. Chicago is just more exciting than New York in the summer. If it's fall or spring, I'd say New York. The city is ridiculously beautiful in these two seasons, the weather is comfortable, and there are few places on Earth that are as vibrant, exciting, and downright wonderful as New York during spring or fall. Both cities are quite magical during the holidays, although I'd give New York the edge here for its slightly milder Nov/Dec weather and the more iconic holiday sights and festivities.

Last edited by jayp1188; 06-10-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 09:01 PM

362 posts, read 665,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either. Ten years is a lot of time in the ever-changing city of New York, and I think it's definitely worth visiting again. Chicago is also worth visiting, especially since you've never been there before. The lake and architecture are stunning, the music, nightlife, and food are fantastic and unique, and the city just has a history, personality and a vibe completely different from New York. Chicago may not offer much that New York doesn't offer, but Chicago just offers things in a different way. The cities are far less similar than they seem from a far, which is a good thing for both cities.

Personally, I'd base the decision upon when you are planning to make a trip. If it's summer, I'd say Chicago is the better choice. That city is absolutely amazing in the summer, and it comes alive in such a grand way. Chicago is just more exciting than New York in the summer. If it's fall or spring, I'd say New York. The city is ridiculously beautiful in these two seasons, the weather is comfortable, and there are few places on Earth that are as vibrant, exciting, and downright wonderful as New York during spring or fall. Both cities are quite magical during the holidays, although I'd give New York the edge here for its slightly milder Nov/Dec weather and the more iconic holiday sights and festivities.
great post

Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
In Chicago, You have the option of walking everywhere or driving your car everywhere, both with ease.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

It just seems like every year I hear about people in Chicago cooking in their apartments and houses. Maybe it's because of the high crime rate. Think about it, people can't open their windows without the fear of being murdered, so they bake like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Not the same in New York.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 AM

362 posts, read 665,658 times
Quote:
It just seems like every year I hear about people in Chicago cooking in their apartments and houses. Maybe it's because of the high crime rate. Think about it, people can't open their windows without the fear of being murdered, so they bake like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Not the same in New York.
Umm.... no. The majority of crimes in Chicago are gang related and most often occur in PARTS the south side and PARTS of the west side. the crime rate in chicago is actually lowering. NYC has its share of gangs and crime too, but it is only concentrated on parts of the city where the average person in their right state of mind never ventures to (just like chicago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City