Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times

Advertisements

By "complete", I mean the walkable village-style neighborhood center has all or most of the following: a grocery store, CVS or Walgreen's-type store, a post office and other neighborhood necessities, restaurants, etc.

Kansas City has Brookside, which is a prime example of what I'm talking about, and our city is lucky to have such a great neighborhood. The only other neighborhoods that *I* know of that are in the same league as Brookside or better are Chicago's North Shore suburbs like Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, etc. I also know Chicago has a ton of other suburbs that fit the bill, but I don't know what they are. Some cities have no such complete neighborhood.

So, does your city have something like Brookside? Here's an illustration of Brookside:

Kansas City, Missouri - Brookside neighborhood (LONG))

Last edited by MOKAN; 06-10-2012 at 03:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 05:06 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
By "complete", I mean the walkable village-style neighborhood center has all or most of the following: a grocery store, CVS or Walgreen's-type store, a post office and other neighborhood necessities, restaurants, etc.

Kansas City has Brookside, which is a prime example of what I'm talking about, and our city is lucky to have such a great neighborhood. The only other neighborhoods that *I* know of that are in the same league as Brookside or better are Chicago's North Shore suburbs like Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, etc. I also know Chicago has a ton of other suburbs that fit the bill, but I don't know what they are. Some cities have no such complete neighborhood.

So, does your city have something like Brookside? Here's an illustration of Brookside:

Kansas City, Missouri - Brookside neighborhood (LONG))
I'd venture most, if not all, cities have multiple neighborhoods like that - I'm not sure why you think it's unique to Kansas City.

Seattle has at least a dozen neighborhoods that fit your criteria (if not more)

Here are 4-year old streetviews of Ballard (a neighborhood that has seen a ton of new density and development since then, so these are not representative of what it currently looks like), about 6 miles from downtown Seattle:

ballard, seattle - Google Maps

Old 06-10-2012, 07:01 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Practically all of New Orleans.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Yes. Birmingham, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Wyandotte, Grosse Pointe, Rochester, etc. are suburbs like that in Detroit.

That said, Detroit proper never had neighborhoods like that. Instead, it had neighborhoods and centers more like this...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chica...280.31,,0,0.28

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chica...172.75,,0,9.66

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chica...=12,92.97,,0,0

Most, if not all of them, have been lost of course, due to a combination of steady/rapid population decline and the dismantling of Detroit's mass transit system (or as they call it around here, "progress").

Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Hollywood was once like that. but has morphed into a much more urban area.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 AM

725 posts, read 1,278,850 times
Basically all of Atlanta's Neighborhoods outside Downtown.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Most of Minneapolis and St Paul proper are like this. The best examples are probably Uptown in Minneapolis and Grand Avenue in St Paul.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:19 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Coolidge Corner in Brookline and Brighton Center in Boston.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Minus the CVS/Walgreens my own neighborhood is a lot like that. A small but excellent grocery store, a locally owned drug store that's been in business for 100+ years, two bookstores, tons of restaurants, a couple of convenience stores, clothing stores, art galleries, etc. There are bus stops for several routes to other parts of town, a Greyhound and Amtrak station, and you can take a ferry to Alaska from here. It even has a village green where there are frequent events throughout the year, but especially in summer, including a weekly farmers market. Of course, the street car's long gone, but some of the tracks are still there.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hollywood was once like that. but has morphed into a much more urban area.
How is it more urban?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City