Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM

300 posts, read 524,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
CSA population is a BS metric that only urban geeks care about. It has very little relevance to the urban qualities of a city or its global perception.
I would definitely disagree with this. CSA, while not perfect, is certainly better than MSA.

Most reasonable folks would agree that the Bay Area includes Silicon Valley, that LA includes the Inland Empire, and that NYC includes the upscale suburbs to the north.

If you don't go by CSA, you lose those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:46 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
DC and SF have bigger economies than Chicago, so if you're going to include Chicago, you have to include DC and SF.
Great points. For both GDP and GDP per capita, DC and SF beat Chicago on the CSA level. No other lower tier U.S. cities do.

But Chicago has a greater urban footprint, which the other cities won't reach. That's a good point too.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Great points. For both GDP and GDP per capita, DC and SF beat Chicago on the CSA level. No other lower tier U.S. cities do.

But Chicago has a greater urban footprint, which the other cities won't reach. That's a good point too.
Both Boston and Houston beat Chicago for GDP per capita. Seattle also but that place doesn't even belong in this discussion. I still think Chicago's 3rd but Chicago's status is very attainable because it's a large gap but in future tense not large enough.

If there's another big metro richer than Chicago, I would like to see a link to it. (No personal calculations welcome, homers)

Old 06-15-2012, 03:02 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Both Boston and Houston beat Chicago for GDP per capita. Seattle also but that place doesn't even belong in this discussion. I still think Chicago's 3rd but Chicago's status is very attainable because it's a large gap but in future tense not large enough.

If there's another big metro richer than Chicago, I would like to see a link to it. (No personal calculations welcome, homers)
Yes, but I meant DC and SF beat Chicago on overall GDP as well.

DC and SF beat NYC and LA on GDP per capita too. But that comparison is awkward because NYC and LA are much larger and have concentrations of great wealth in many areas.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Yes, but I meant DC and SF beat Chicago on overall GDP as well.

DC and SF beat NYC and LA on GDP per capita too. But that comparison is awkward because NYC and LA are much larger and have concentrations of great wealth in many areas.
Exactly

LA is a tale of 2 metros. The GDP per capita as a MSA finishes respectably with peers like Chicago or Dallas or Miami but when you look at CSA then LA becomes poorer than the others. LA homers are the biggest culprits of MSA to CSA manipulation, when the stats favor them then the I.E. is apart of LA but when it makes them look bad then it's not.

NYC compared to SF or D.C. is a victim of its own mega city size. How it manages to have the 3rd highest per capita of the 12 largest PCSA's with 22 million is astonishing. Imagine how high the core per capita is with NYC, Westchester, Hudson, Bergen, Suffolk, Fairfield? Much higher but this is all speculation, even though I know this fact holds true to avoid delusions don't quote me on the concept. lol

Ive seen at least 8 or 9 posters claim SF is adding Stockton to its CSA, that's what being a victim of size does to you. Stockton will drop their per capita a bit but will add 900K to the bay area population.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
But then Chicago CSA beats LA CSA regarding GDP per capita...what are we really supposed to make of this metric?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:33 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
D.C ( should already be there)
Houston
Miami

3 cities that are close but idk see them coming close soon
Philadelphia ( growing too slow)
Phoenix ( Not powerful enough needs development and another 20 years)
Las Vegas ( needs to diversify A LOT)

Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM

208 posts, read 411,637 times
Pretty much just DC and SF. Houston, Philly, and Boston are a bit further back.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 PM

233 posts, read 368,829 times
Washington, SF, Boston
Dallas, Houston

Miami and Philly are really not even close in terms of prominence and neither is any other city.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:29 PM

362 posts, read 665,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
I would definitely disagree with this. CSA, while not perfect, is certainly better than MSA.

Most reasonable folks would agree that the Bay Area includes Silicon Valley, that LA includes the Inland Empire, and that NYC includes the upscale suburbs to the north.

If you don't go by CSA, you lose those areas.
He is somewhat right in the sense that most statistics for gpd's around the world only show MSA not CSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City