Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which of these 2 is more "flyover"?
midwest 46 56.79%
south 35 43.21%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:12 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,192,755 times

Advertisements

I picked Midwest but really both terms are pejorative and silly. Generally speaking flyover country implies the mountain west and midwest to me more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 AM

739 posts, read 1,192,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Midwest has Mall of America, Navy Pier, Mount Rushmore, Art Institute of Chicago and Resort areas in the Upper Midwest which attract international tourist.... Wisconsin Dells and International Falls and Ely, MN to name a few

The South has Charleston, New Orleans, Smokey Mountains and Graceland.

Its pretty close but the South i believe is more flyover
TBH,

I think that Chicago and MSP are probably the only two cities in the entire midwest region, that is anchoring that region, as far as tourism, and their international appeal. Especially, Chicago.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,688,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
OK I get ya, however I think outside of Florida the south really has no international destinations nor does the midwest, that's the basis of this thread
Ummmm, huh? A few things, now the derogatory term "flyover country" is about international destinations??? How did your basis become international tourists btw? You said nothing about this in the OP or the title... If we're just going to magically not include cities or states to aid in the bashing, what happens to the international tourists in the NE without NYC? Maybe drop LA or SF from the west? See how this is dumb? And again, why is international now your big focus, domestic travelers (the majority) don't matter now or what?

Furthermore, not the end-all be-all but...
The two busiest airports in the US are in Atlanta and Chicago...

See my below post as well....

Old 06-25-2012, 02:04 AM

To the brilliant post that said you can't argue with the literal definition of "flyover." There isn't a magical wall around the coasts. Boston is probably the city I flyover the most actually... When I go back and forth between Paris and the US I fly over the East coast cities all of the time, and I've flown over California quite a few times as well on other trips. This thread seems to be very selectively using international/domestic travel to bash sections of the US which is sad....

Again, the two busiest airports in the US are in what two regions???

Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Its a term that I did not invent, so no need to attack the OP, my definition of flyover country comes down to an area with little in terms of tourist destinations, so that is why I put these 2 areas against one another since neither area is really known for tourist destinations for the exception of Florida
I hope you don't get too carried away with this illogical line of reasoning in real life, thinking terms won't be taken badly or are ok to say just because you didn't invent them might not go over so well for you with certain terms and groups...

Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,270,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
This thread excludes Florida, which can't really be considered fly over as it's on the coast .

The Carolinas and Tennessee are not at all known for attracting international tourists. Minnesota and Illinois are better known for this. There is a large cultural scene in the Twin Cities and of course Chicago. For instance, Minneapolis has the third largest number of theatres outside of Chicago and New York.

Then you have the monument of Mount Rushmore and then the Black Hills in the Dakotas, which are beacons of tourism. On top of that you get tourists in Indiana as a result of the Indy 500.

The population is also larger in the Midwest, which means more people total probably fly there than into the south - I do believe.
Tennessee most definitely is. Memphis and Nashville alone attract many tourists and appear on many tour itineraries. Same with the Great Smokies, and Charleston, SC. Non Americans aren't interested in the Indy 500. Ditto for Minnesota except for Canadians, and Chicago doesn't compare to the coasts for international tourism. Even taking Florida out of the equation I'm sure you'll find the South is well ahead of the Midwest for international tourism.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,270,446 times
Quote:
How have I been proven wrong? When tourists come to the U.S. there are only a handful of cities they want to visit imo, NYC, LA, SF, MIA, and Orlando the rest fight it out for scraps but even then cities like Boston, SD, Las Vegas get most of that
How the heck would you know? I'm Aussie and have spoken to people of all nationalities who have either been or want to go to cities like New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Austin, Savannah, Charleston.etc. I never hear of anyone wanting to go to Cleveland or Minneapolis. The South has far more to attract folk.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 AM

365 posts, read 501,465 times
^Don't forget Atlanta

Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,448,836 times
I guess it all depends on where you fly most often. If you are flying from Las Vegas to NYC, then probably a big chunk of the Midwest is flyover country. If you are flying from Seattle or SF to LA, then a good portion of the West coast and/or California is flyover country. Personally, I've flown most often from Chicago to Boston, so a lot of Ontario and the Northeast/New England are flyover country for me.

I guess I would consider the Great Plains the most stereotypical flyover country. The Upper Midwest has a lot of cities and a lot of airports, so I don't consider it flyover.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM

635 posts, read 1,545,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
You do know that the South is the largest region in the country in terms of population. Also, for anyone who will debate, I don't care what your definition of the South is.

U.S. Population by Region, 1990

And, either way, the term flyover country is IMO used to refer to the Midwest because of the flight between NY and LA.
This number is highly contingent on the definition of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City