Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Home of Black Musical Identity?
NYC 9 10.00%
Philadelphia 5 5.56%
Detroit 26 28.89%
Chicago 10 11.11%
LA 1 1.11%
New Orleans 19 21.11%
Atlanta 19 21.11%
San Francisco 1 1.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 AM

3,647 posts, read 8,336,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No. He's right. You can thank Memphis for a good portion of Rock N Roll. I know it's hard for some of you all to give credit to the South for anything. But on this subject, the Southern cities of Memphis and New Orleans hangs with the best of them. IMO, New Orleans wins this. But Memphis is a close 2nd. Now if you want to talk about production and business wise, maybe Detroit and NYC. Much of Black Detroit was nothing more than transplant Southerners anyway.
I'd gotta throw Chicago and Philadelphia in this mix. But the Home of black music is the south by far. Especially the Mississippi Delta Region.

I don't know why San Francisco is even on the list BTW

mas23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 AM

168 posts, read 354,476 times
Quote:
No. He's right. You can thank Memphis for a good portion of Rock N Roll. I know it's hard for some of you all to give credit to the South for anything. But on this subject, the Southern cities of Memphis and New Orleans hangs with the best of them. IMO, New Orleans wins this. But Memphis is a close 2nd. Now if you want to talk about production and business wise, maybe Detroit and NYC. Much of Black Detroit was nothing more than transplant Southerners anyway.
But we have to give credit where credit is due and that is to Cleveland, Ohio. Detroit and NYC would not have even been able to exist without the help of Cleveland!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 AM

37,928 posts, read 42,186,656 times
Quote:
Same with Detroit and the other Northern cities with music scenes rooted in the African American musical traditions.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfrrl View Post
But we have to give credit where credit is due and that is to Cleveland, Ohio. Detroit and NYC would not have even been able to exist without the help of Cleveland!
You're delusional.

I can't wait until school is back in session. It's a pain having to deal with this sort of thing every summer.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're delusional.

I can't wait until school is back in session. It's a pain having to deal with this sort of thing every summer.
School? I think I'm educated enough, thank you very much. Cleveland did help the industry develop. Believe me or not, I'm pretty sure I'm right, according to my logic.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
School? I think I'm educated enough, thank you very much. Cleveland did help the industry develop. Believe me or not, I'm pretty sure I'm right, according to my logic.
"I'm pretty sure I'm right, according to my logic."

Yeah, there's a reliable academic source right there.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"I'm pretty sure I'm right, according to my logic."

Yeah, there's a reliable academic source right there.
There was an industry in Cleveland: steel! It was a huge deal! Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Hamilton, Ontario were huge sources of steel. Therefore, that helps musical equipment be produced faster.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 PM

20,533 posts, read 33,662,562 times
Quote:

Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Why is that so hard to believe? Two words: steel industry. Steel goes to make musical devices, helps musical technology more advanced.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,121,840 times
take L.A. and and San Fran out of the poll, and the answer would be "All Of The Above"...A Toss up. They shouldnt even be there while Memphis is left off. L.A. and San Fran should be replaced with Memphis and the Mississippi Delta (I know thats not technically a city...but still)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City