Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:07 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,109,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Yeah he sucks but he reps his hood in almost every song that i've heard from him. Something that alot of chicago rappers before him never really did(except twista and maybe common). Like they scream what side they're from but they wont go into detail like their specific neighborhood or street ect. Im not a fan of chief keefs music but I respect what he's doing especially at 16 years old. Plus his music is mostly for Partying and playing in the car.

As for your earlier post, I do agree that people from new orleans and Atlanta definitley have neighborhood pride in their zones and wards. Small towns all across America also have intense pride So this is not something reserved for big cities.
That dude's 16?
That's some pretty hardcore music for a 16 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,211,631 times
Sosa

Old 06-25-2012, 05:55 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,671,992 times
Default Boredatwork

DC for sure. Lots of beef almost like tribal disputes. Ask some1 from DC where they're from and they'll give you a street name or number assuming you're already hip. Ex. Where you from?........ DC response...... 37TH!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM

170 posts, read 347,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Houston and Texas in general. People there ALWAYS put where they are from in your face. I know of "Oakcliff" in Dallas and "Sunnyside, 5th Ward, South Park, Southwest, Northside, Acres, etc." in Houston just from listening to guys from there always bring it up.

Despite the huge transplant population, the natives of Atlanta with family roots there that go far back always talk about the "Zones" or some random roads in East Point, College Park, DeKalb County, etc.

New Orleans is the same way with the "Wards."

Memphis is the same way with people always talking about "North Memphis, South Memphis, South Parkway, Orange Mound, etc"

Country boys from random places down in the south love to tell you, with pride, what county they are from.

Although screaming a "county" name is mostly done by people from rural unheard of places, the people in metropolitan cities in Florida do the same. I almost get tired of hearing them scream DUVAL!!! (Jacksonville), Dade!! (Miami), Broward!!! (Ft. Lauderdale, etc.), etc

Detroit people are always talking about 6 Mile, 7 Mile, Puritan, Gratiot, etc

No offense, but as much of a landslide as the big 3 (NYC, LA and Chicago) or other older established cities on the East Coast (Philly, Boston) win over most other cities when it comes to density, population, amenities, economy, etc. ....no one can tell me that just because they are bigger, older, etc. than most of the cities I just named, they "rep"..."love" or have more "pride" in being where they are from than people in any of the places I just named or several others I didnt.

Personally, I think Texas edges everybody out.

If you want to talk about rappers, NYC and LA natives dont mention their cities or hoods any more than rappers from Memphis, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, etc. They FOR SURE dont pat themselves on the back as much Houston. You dont ever hear those guys NOT talking about their car/candy paint, syrup, DJ Screw influenced music, southern, laid back "H-Town" culture.

This is pretty much spot on. I think there's a misconception by some as well do to familiarity with some areas and not knowing other areas. If a dude gives a shout out to his hood in Brooklyn or LA, those places are known by everyone. But if a Memphis dude yells out Hyde Park, Black Haven, LMG, Foot Homes, someone probably won't know what they talkin bout. But I can assure you they reppin they city just as hard as anyone from NY. Especially Orange Mound...them dudes are loud and proud to shout where they are from. Can't say I blame them.

Another place is East Cleveland Oh. Don't matter who they talking to, they gonna tell you they from East Cleveland. Never Cleveland, East Cleveland. I myself am guilty of this, LOL.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
This is pretty much spot on. I think there's a misconception by some as well do to familiarity with some areas and not knowing other areas. If a dude gives a shout out to his hood in Brooklyn or LA, those places are known by everyone. But if a Memphis dude yells out Hyde Park, Black Haven, LMG, Foot Homes, someone probably won't know what they talkin bout. But I can assure you they reppin they city just as hard as anyone from NY. Especially Orange Mound...them dudes are loud and proud to shout where they are from. Can't say I blame them.

Another place is East Cleveland Oh. Don't matter who they talking to, they gonna tell you they from East Cleveland. Never Cleveland, East Cleveland. I myself am guilty of this, LOL.
Yeah, this is true. You guys certainly let it be known that East Cleveland is a different city!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
DC for sure. Lots of beef almost like tribal disputes. Ask some1 from DC where they're from and they'll give you a street name or number assuming you're already hip. Ex. Where you from?........ DC response...... 37TH!
There's something I've been wondering about that entire DC-Maryland-Virginia Area. The D.C. Metro is nicknamed the DMV for that, but I've heard that it's mainly people from PG County that love to say "DMV" and that people actually from D.C. rarely say "DMV" ...is this true?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM

3,646 posts, read 8,323,462 times
Quote:
That dude's 16?
That's some pretty hardcore music for a 16 year old.
IKR

I'm not surprised though lol. But he's made a lot of moves just at 16. Got his own lable with interscope too. Can't be mad at that.

Not too much of a fan but at least he is bringing some kind of spotlight to the rap scene in chicago. This city has been overlooked for too long! Its time for a change!

mas23

Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,208,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post

Now is "East Cleveland" the suburb, the East side of the city, or both? East Cleveland the suburb is definitely rough, but rather small in the grand scheme of things. Meanwhile, there are PLENTY of East side neighborhoods that are equally rough and cover much more ground. I'm almost certain Bone Thugs weren't from East Cleveland, but rather the East side of Cleveland (79th maybe?).

This has always confused me.

P.S. I live 1 block away from the East side of Cleveland near Scottsdale and Lee, but am new to the area.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,671,992 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
There's something I've been wondering about that entire DC-Maryland-Virginia Area. The D.C. Metro is nicknamed the DMV for that, but I've heard that it's mainly people from PG County that love to say "DMV" and that people actually from D.C. rarely say "DMV" ...is this true?
i guess it started with Wale or whatever but people from DC dont say dmv bc its "the city" and everybody knows about Washington. Not everybody knows about its suburbs and since its a tri-state area i guess its just catchy. but mainly PG county and DC rep their hoods. This song's lyrics is strictly naming neighborhoods from DC and PG.

Roll Call DC Hoods J-Roc

Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,779,838 times
Everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City