Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,582,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Yeah he sucks but he reps his hood in almost every song that i've heard from him. Something that alot of chicago rappers before him never really did(except twista and maybe common). Like they scream what side they're from but they wont go into detail like their specific neighborhood or street ect. Im not a fan of chief keefs music but I respect what he's doing especially at 16 years old. Plus his music is mostly for Partying and playing in the car.

As for your earlier post, I do agree that people from new orleans and Atlanta definitley have neighborhood pride in their zones and wards. Small towns all across America also have intense pride So this is not something reserved for big cities.
I never realized that about Chicago. Yeah, they don't rep their hoods or "sides" like that. I think Crucial Conflict did at times but not like what you got out of Houston, New Orleans, or Atlanta. We all knew where Twista was from but outside of him and maybe CC and Common, I don't see much reppin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,320,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
^Tree (from CG) is also dope... out of any of the new generation of Chicago rappers IMO he has the most potential to change the game.
I've heard of em but never really checked his music out. I gotta see whats up.

There's just a lot of guys coming out of the woodworks right now from the chi to the point where I can't even keep up. I don't think this has ever happed before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I never realized that about Chicago. Yeah, they don't rep their hoods or "sides" like that. I think Crucial Conflict did at times but not like what you got out of Houston, New Orleans, or Atlanta. We all knew where Twista was from but outside of him and maybe CC and Common, I don't see much reppin.
Yeah, like even if you hear some artist repping their "side" its very broad. Which is funny because I'm sure you know in Chicago you cant just say "i'm from the North Side" you also say what corner you live(d)off of or neighborhood or suburb or whatever. Sometimes it even comes down to what grammar school and high school you went too.

Its interesting but at the same time it's a good thing because it brings about some unity.

But Down south artists are big on the whole neighborhood pride thing especially New Orleans, Miami and Houston. Atlanta as well.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 PM

799 posts, read 1,096,124 times
ATL natives know we rep wherever we from, anything in the circle of 285 except Midtown has ambassadors and representatives... N.O. no doubt reps their wards, Savannaians rep their hoods, like Camoflauge reppin Hitch Village. It's a southern thing really but NY showoff their boroughs just like us in the A. Matter fact I believe it's every single neighborhood and town in America, its a cultural thing in America

Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 PM

170 posts, read 347,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Now is "East Cleveland" the suburb, the East side of the city, or both? East Cleveland the suburb is definitely rough, but rather small in the grand scheme of things. Meanwhile, there are PLENTY of East side neighborhoods that are equally rough and cover much more ground. I'm almost certain Bone Thugs weren't from East Cleveland, but rather the East side of Cleveland (79th maybe?).

This has always confused me.

P.S. I live 1 block away from the East side of Cleveland near Scottsdale and Lee, but am new to the area.
Yes EC is considered a "suburb" technically because it is it's own incorporated area, and yeah it's on the east side. But is very much in the city and there's NOTHING suburban about it. To me Willoughby Hills is more like true suburbs. And I'm getting old so I can't remember...but I think Bone was from East 99/St. Clair.

Hey, I tell you what. Not sure if you like corned beef. Go to Superior restaurant on the corner of 30th and Superior. Cleveland is well known for their corned beef. IMO they have the best in the city. Them fools do it right. Monster corned beef and a bowl of soup on a cold winter day is hard to beat. I'm getting hungry, LOL.

On topic... If you're in another state and run into someone from the Cleveland area, they're not gonna say they're from Parma, Elyria, Willoughby Hills, Shaker Heights Ohio... They'll tell you they're from Cleveland. But if you meet someone from EC, they gonna say they from East Cleveland. And not because it's on the East Side. Just my two cents. Hope you enjoy it up there. Don't forget....30th and Superior.

Last edited by RichRollin; 06-28-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM

170 posts, read 347,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
ATL natives know we rep wherever we from, anything in the circle of 285 except Midtown has ambassadors and representatives... N.O. no doubt reps their wards, Savannaians rep their hoods, like Camoflauge reppin Hitch Village. It's a southern thing really but NY showoff their boroughs just like us in the A. Matter fact I believe it's every single neighborhood and town in America, its a cultural thing in America
This.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM

419 posts, read 999,588 times
san diego is the easiest hood to live in no doubt.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,203,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
Yes EC is considered a "suburb" technically because it is it's own incorporated area, and yeah it's on the east side. But is very much in the city and there's NOTHING suburban about it. To me Willoughby Hills is more like true suburbs. And I'm getting old so I can't remember...but I think Bone was from East 99/St. Clair.

Hey, I tell you what. Not sure if you like corned beef. Go to Superior restaurant on the corner of 30th and Superior. Cleveland is well known for their corned beef. IMO they have the best in the city. Them fools do it right. Monster corned beef and a bowl of soup on a cold winter day is hard to beat. I'm getting hungry, LOL.

On topic... If you're in another state and run into someone from the Cleveland area, they're not gonna say they're from Parma, Elyria, Willoughby Hills, Shaker Heights Ohio... They'll tell you they're from Cleveland. But if you meet someone from EC, they gonna say they from East Cleveland. And not because it's on the East Side. Just my two cents. Hope you enjoy it up there. Don't forget....30th and Superior.
I'll be sure to check that out....but you didn't answer my other question: whether the east SIDE of Cleveland (like Hough, Buckeye/Shaker, Mount Pleasant, etc.) counted as "East Cleveland".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City