Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:23 AM

224 posts, read 347,677 times

Advertisements

I've lived everywhere and coasts are wayyy too big for me to generalize and say which one is better. I don't get the East vs West thing.

For instance, I prefer Boston to San Diego but prefer San Francisco to Philadelphia and like Los Angeles better than Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 03:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I like tmacs post. I was born in FLA. But i'll still go with the west. You can see all of that in CA. HECK, you can see alot of that in LA county. But CA is only ONE state, they still have washington, oregon, nevada, new mexico, arizona. Those states have the most beautiful natural beauty, and on top of all that, they still have tourist attractins and entertainment, and are really progressive.
Nevada and Arizona are conservative, not progressive - even the big cities are conservative there. New Mexico is moderate, but I wouldn't call it progressive. In any case, none of these states are West Coast.

As for Oregon and Washington, the bigger urban areas on the Western half of the states are definitely progressive (read: Seattle, Portland, Eugene, Bellingham) but much of these states are actually very conservative, especially rural Oregon and Eastern Washington. Overall, most people live in the urban areas, so they could be generally be considered to be progressive states. But if you look on a map, you'll see a sea of red with a few bright blue dots.

California is its own beast, it has very progressive cities as well, but plenty of rural, conservative sections as well. Also, San Diego is an exception and is actually relatively conservative (although it's a different brand of "Coast Republican" conservatism)

Overall, I'd say the West Coast (CA, OR, WA) does have more progressive, open-minded, "think outside the box" cities than the East Coast, but there are plenty of conservative areas as well. (Go to Moses Lake, Washington for example, and you will feel like you're in South Carolina)

Old 10-01-2011, 10:49 PM

192 posts, read 292,985 times
Default EAST Vs WEST

I GREW UP ON THE EAST COAST NEAR PHILADELPHIA. TRAVELED EXTENSIVELY

FROM BOSTON TO FLORIDA. I ALSO LIVED ON THE WEST COAST, IN THE BAY

AREA(25 yrs.). NOW, I'VE BEEN BACK ON THE EAST COAST FIVE YEARS NOW.

YOU CAN'T BEAT THE EAST COAST'S LUSHNESS AND DIVERSITY OF CITIES AND

ENVIRONMENTS.

HOWEVER, I HAVE TO GIVE THE WEST COAST THE EDGE, DUE TO IT'S

DRAMATIC SCENERY AND MILD WEATHER. WHEN IT COMES TO FOOD, NOT ONLY

DID MANY EAST COAST TRANSPLANTS BRING MANY OF THE FAVORITE CUISINES

OF THE EAST WEST, IT ONLY ENHANCES THE GREAT FRESH ASIAN CUISINES FOUND

ON THE WEST COAST.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 PM

137 posts, read 277,619 times
I grew up on the East Coast (Maryland) and have traveled to Denver, SF, SD, and Vegas in the west, but I find that the East Coast feels "warmer" with the density of the trees, the bustle of the cities, and warmer ocean water in the summer (at least from VA Beach south). Maybe I'm biased, I don't know. The Appalachians are beautiful all year round, in my opinion. However, the West Coast looks crisper, cleaner and that's in part due to the drier air (more sun, less rain) in most cases. There's no right or wrong answer. A better to way to look at it is how diverse this whole country is. If you want tropical-like weather you can visit South Florida, if you want great skiing, go to Colorado, if you want to watch the sunset on a beach go to Cali, if you want to gamble go to Vegas, if you want the energy of a city go to Manhattan, if you want crabcakes swing by Maryland...the list goes on. Cheers.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM

29 posts, read 54,197 times
How would you rate Chicago in the east coast vs west coast culture debate? I'd say Chitown is about mostly east coast without the "Fawk you" in your face attitude of NYC and Boston.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinthemagic View Post
How would you rate Chicago in the east coast vs west coast culture debate? I'd say Chitown is about mostly east coast without the "Fawk you" in your face attitude of NYC and Boston.
Chicago isn't East Coast at all. Doesn't feel like either coast actually, so it doesn't (and shouldn't) enter into a east/west debate.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:50 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyRocks View Post
East Coast by far. Better of EVERYTHING, including being the economic and political center of the whole planet.
LOL! Opinion presented as fact is never pretty.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
One word will set us all free:

Boswash.

NYC as the largest economy in the world? Check
DC as the capital of the most powerful nation in the world? Check
Boston as the education capital of the world? Check
Philadelphia for helping to birth the most powerful nation in the world? Check

Now lets compare that to the West Coast

LA as the...._______
SF as the _________
SD as the ________
Seattle as the ________

yeah, I can't think of anything. Before CD, I honestly didn't even know that San Francisco was in California.
Then there goes your theory about the education capital.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Who cares. The West Coast isn't exactly relevant toward my survival as a person anyways. The country got along great for the 150 years that California wasn't part of it, and the country will get along great once California is in permanent decline.

How does the West Coast add to anything that is great about the USA?
You're just precious.

Buillt 80% of the aircraft that helped us win WW2.

Blue jeans.

The micro-processor.

A massive, permament donor state status for the red states.

You're welcome.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Who cares. The West Coast isn't exactly relevant toward my survival as a person anyways.
The exact same thing can be said of how many, many people feel about BosWash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City