Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 AM

17 posts, read 33,983 times

Advertisements

My hubby is wanting to PCS from our current base in CA but the only two bases he can go to on the East Coast (that are close to our families) are Langley AFB and Tyndall AFB.

We have a child going into the 2nd and a baby due after the new year. I need to know which base would be best for his career and which base would be family-oriented. I've tried to read information but keep getting turned around with a lot of negative answers.

I need to know:
The best schools: are they on base or off
Best housing area
Best place to visit doctors (this place we are in right now is horrible for doctors)
Best as far as taxes go
More cat friendly than dog?(my whole neighborhood is filled with dogs that bark day and night...)

What is the weather like?
How is the shopping?
How are the people?

I already know that Langley has this one horrible freeway where traffic gets backed up no matter what.

Thanks!! If I can think of anymore, I'll ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Northern VA. schools are some of the best in the country, try the specific city-data forum...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Northern VA. schools are some of the best in the country, try the specific city-data forum...
I thought Langley was in Hampton roads? Thats not really Northern Va is it?

Florida is better as far as taxes! If you work then you would have no state income taxes to pay! (your husbands taxes depend on HOR I think)

Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM

17 posts, read 33,983 times
I have tried specific data forums...now I posted one of my own to get more answers.
Thanks about the taxes though

Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Considering nothing else but location, and I have been to both, Langley AFB vs Tyndall AFB. Tyndall is my choice! Panama City Beach here I come!!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Tyndall is close to Tampa,Florida. Florida has taken a major turn for the worse due to the recession/depression. My opinion is Virginia. The weather isn't as bad and the school systems are much better than the Florida one which are some of the worst on the east coast.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Try searching "moving house for the military spouse" on that huge website from the guy from Yale that recently went public. Also there's a another site called military word of mouth that might be of some help.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Tyndall is close to Tampa,Florida.

The weather isn't as bad
Tyndall AFB is about 340 miles from Tampa, Florida which is over six hours driving time. Tyndall AFB is closer to Mobile, Alabama, New Orleans, Louisiana and Valdosta, Georgia than it is to Tampa, Florida. Tyndall AFB is about 25 miles from Panama City Beach, Florida.

The weather? Well, search 'Panama City Beach, Florida'

Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM

358 posts, read 710,938 times
Virginia will win on: schools, doctors, weather, housing, shopping.
Florida will win on: taxes (by far), traffic (by really far), and people (by a MILE)

Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twikat View Post
My hubby is wanting to PCS from our current base in CA but the only two bases he can go to on the East Coast (that are close to our families) are Langley AFB and Tyndall AFB.

We have a child going into the 2nd and a baby due after the new year. I need to know which base would be best for his career and which base would be family-oriented. I've tried to read information but keep getting turned around with a lot of negative answers.

I need to know:
The best schools: are they on base or off
Best housing area
Best place to visit doctors (this place we are in right now is horrible for doctors)
Best as far as taxes go
More cat friendly than dog?(my whole neighborhood is filled with dogs that bark day and night...)

What is the weather like?
How is the shopping?
How are the people?

I already know that Langley has this one horrible freeway where traffic gets backed up no matter what.

Thanks!! If I can think of anymore, I'll ask
Your questions are pretty general. I'd guess that you are living on base now? The people at the new base would be pretty much that same as the people at the old base, military members and their families..

Base housing (if that's where you are now) is always going to have alot of dogs. Military members seem to be "dog people" and families have dogs. It's tricky to find an off base rental that has dogs , esp big dogs so you get more dogs on base than you would in a typical nieghborhood.

Do you have other family you might want to see? Is either in driving distance to family? Some airports are much more expensive to fly in and out of (a consideration when buying several tickets).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City