Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,035,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Well it's not hard for anyone to assume you have some connection with Indianapolis when your username is the name of Indianapolis' Football team, which hints that you're a fan of them.
What does my alias have to do with me living in or being from that city, Einstein? Or do you think that being a fan of a given team requires me to live in that location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 AM

252 posts, read 493,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
What does my alias have to do with me living in or being from that city, Einstein? Or do you think that being a fan of a given team requires me to live in that location?
313Weather didn't say anything about you living in or being from Indianapolis. S/he stated others might think you have a connection, which is a safe assumption considering some of your past posts.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,099,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
So now it's pick in choose the direction so it backs up your point? Minneapolis is the county seat, it's not going to span into another county, let alone the county with the state capital. Of course all that is dependent upon MN law but odds are no, that wouldn't happen. The county seat would expand into its own county which means Hennipen. Doesn't matter where the fit in within that county. Downtown Indianapolis just happens to sit smack dab in the middle of Marion County so yes, it's easier to get that but Minneapolis is situated differently and thereby not relegated to how Indianapolis is.

Either way, trying to magically expand borders is pointless. KC isn't expanding into JoCo so playing the well if it did doesn't matter. It didn't and by all accounts can't. No different than for a city like Indianapolis. It is legally landlocked. It can't grow. It can shrink, but can't grow and can't annex as Indiana has a 5 mile buffer law between incorporated areas and none of the excluded's would ever vote to become part of the city so saying what if Indianapolis were the size of say Jax, it would be this and this. It can't so thereby pointless.
You need to reread my posts a little more carefully if 1.) you think that I put any stock-- at all-- into population within city limits, and 2.) you don't understand my methodology.

As I recall, it was one of you Indy people who assigned relevance to population within city limits with your "Indy will be the second Midwestern city with 1 million people, therefore it is somehow magically important". The Minneapolitans have been trying to tell you how ridiculous that assertion is since the moment it was made...

Old 07-17-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I love it when people try to cherry pick on here by saying "If only my city had this and that and this and that"...seriously.

What if, what if, what if. Start focusing on what is for a change.
Who's trying to do that?

I am focusing on what is-- Minneapolis, 7,000ppsm. St. Paul, 5,400. Numerous suburbs above 4,000.

Indianapolis? 2,300. Indy to me is a bunch of suburbs with one city council. Sorry if that bothers you guys....

Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,985,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What's your deal? Where are you from and what is your agenda? This WAS a VERY friendly conversation about prominance of Midwestern metro areas and then somebody threw Indy into the mix trying to make some kind of lame argument for Indy at #2. You didn't see any/many people from the Twin Cities b*tching about Detroit taking the #2 slot.....instead you saw appreciation for Detroit and recognition for what it was and still is as its place in the Midwest.

This tangent has effectively infected this thread!
No agenda just stated the city and metro population then someone is offended because Indianapolis has the 2nd largest city population in the Midwest which is a "Fact" that some have a hard time accepting. Some people can't seem to distinguish the difference between "city" and "metro" population.

Right now as it stands

City population - Indianapolis
Metro population - Detroit

Minneapolis not just yet.

Don't get me wrong I love the Twins but let's not jump the gun here. Detroit is still 2nd in metro population but not city.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
No agenda just stated the city and metro population then someone is offended because Indianapolis has the 2nd largest city population in the Midwest which is a "Fact" that some have a hard time accepting. Some people can't seem to distinguish the difference between "city" and "metro" population.

Right now as it stands

Don't get me wrong I love the Twins but let's not jump the gun here. Detroit is still 2nd in metro population but not city.
I just don't think we understand the relevance of inserting that fact into this conversation, is all...

Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM

252 posts, read 493,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post

Right now as it stands

So, you really believe Indianapolis is somehow important because of it city-proper population? Face it, within the Midwest Indianapolis is a tier 3 city and tier 4 metro. IMO, the only thing the Indianapolis area has over the Minneapolis is land area and hence, the larger population. Not exactly anything to be boasting about.

BTW, here are some interesting numbers I found from demographics.com. The numbers are from the 2000 Census, but I guarantee Indianapolis would not surpass Minneapolis with 2010 numbers.

10 Mile Radius
Minneapolis: 1,173,434
Indianapolis: 764,375

15 Mile Radius
Minneapolis: 1,903,936
Indianapolis: 1,097,428

30 Mile Radius
Minneapolis: 2,696,878
Indianapolis: 1,470,948

Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,985,876 times
I only stated a fact. You can accept it or feel insecure about it being in denial. I already made my point.

Once again as current fact:

2nd to Chicago in the Midwest

You can twist and slice all you want but the above remains "fact". Minneapolis isn't 2nd in either of the above categories yet so there is no debating this truth.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,204,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ft. Collins is north of Denver. If Ft. Fun is midwest, so is Denver, and it's larger than Mpls or St. Paul alone; the metro is just a bit smaller. There was actually a thread recently on the Denver forum about whether or not it's midwestern. I think the general consensus was "no".
"Fort Fun" is nowhere near the size of the Twin Cities metro. Denver is though.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,204,613 times
Quote:
Lol, who said I was from Indianapolis? I also don't live near Indy, unless it is now a borough of New York City.

Also, show me where I said a city's municipal population reflects the true size of a metro area. I dare you.
What IS your point? Do you have one?

When you say "city limits are absolutely not arbitrary" I get the IMPRESSION (implied, not spoken) that you feel that Indy is a legitimate #2 candidate for this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City