Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Premier US city without NYC
Washington, DC 38 8.00%
Boston 19 4.00%
Philadelphia 73 15.37%
Chicago 179 37.68%
Los Angeles 142 29.89%
San Francisco 24 5.05%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:44 PM

507 posts, read 809,118 times

Advertisements

Chicago is not even internationally known /thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,821,208 times
Philadelphia was the largest city and the commercial and cultural hub of the colonies until New York took that away from it after the revolution. My guess is that with no New York, Philly would have held on to its' primacy. It would have become what New York is.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:29 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,662,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Philadelphia was the largest city and the commercial and cultural hub of the colonies until New York took that away from it after the revolution. My guess is that with no New York, Philly would have held on to its' primacy. It would have become what New York is.

You are presenting that as if it were a zero sum game, but it really isn't. New York didn't actually "take it away from Philly".

The Erie Canal, which connected the NY Harbor/eastern seaboard to the great lakes and western inland, was built in the early part of the 19th century. That, plus the (partly related) later great waves of immigration are really what triggered New York's economic and population growth that propelled it past all other cities of the era, and the rest was history.
If the Erie Canal had NOT been built in New York, an equivalent would most likely NOT have been built in Philly, because the Delaware River is not so easily navigable, nor does it have such an easy connection route to points west. Not to mention that the New York Harbor is 100 miles closer to the open ocean than Philadelphia's, which was already a disavantage.

If NY's port was never connected to the interior (or if it magically never existed), it's certainly likely that another port would have taken it's place...but probably not Philadelphia's. It's much more likely that such a connection would have been made on the Potomac, as a similar project was actually attempted (but not completed) there by George Washington. As such, it's much more likely that Washington D.C., and not Philadelphia would have seen the greatest benefit from New York's non-existence.

That is...unless the entire country's development was set back for decades, long enough for the waterways to be leapfrogged by railroads as the most important commercial network...and then who knows what city would have taken the crown?

edit:
Maybe it actually would have been Baltimore, which is very close to Washington/the Potomac route, and was actually neck-and-neck with Philly population-wise in the country's early history - basically up until Philadelphia annexed it's county in 1854 and gained a lot of population. Also, like Philly, Baltimore also served as the nation's capital for a short time.

Last edited by rotodome; 08-05-2013 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: added stuff

Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,116,126 times
Is it just me or does it feel like the country is stacking the deck / putting all its chips on SF & DC (and maybe Boston to a lesser extent, although I know far less about DC & Boston) being the places of the future, outside of NYC? With DC's future growth in importance being more manufactured and SF more organic.

I'm probably just brainwashed from local publications but it seems like SF's niche industries and economic versatility has the area primed for huge upward trends in importance. Presently I'm not entirely sure where SF & DC stand vs LA & CHI, but I see the possibility of more equality or even role reversals in importance amongst the areas in the future. I admit future prophecies can be a fickle thing to play with though.

I would love to hear otherwise though via civil discourse as I mean no disrespect and readily admit my bias / potential brainwashing. I'm looking at this as a learning experience. And just so I'm clear, I'm not talking about the cities on a superficial level (amenities, skyline, public transit, food, weather, downtown vibrancy, density, cityscape, diversity, etc etc). More along the lines of the happenings of the areas in regards to the [future] importance of their industries and economics.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,230,534 times
LA. It has the GDP, diversity and population size to pull it off. Plus, people always wanna move here anyway for the attractions, weather, beaches and scenery, and it is laid back.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:51 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,150,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
How could it be Chicago if Chicago was not even able to hold its "second city" title and lost to LA already?
Chicago is called the 2nd city because the of the fire, not because of NY. It's superior in some aspects.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,561,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Chicago is called the 2nd city because the of the fire, not because of NY. It's superior in some aspects.
He wasn't referring to that..
Chicago *was* the 2nd biggest city for half a century but got passed up by LA 30 years ago.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 AM

555 posts, read 593,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
He wasn't referring to that..
Chicago *was* the 2nd biggest city for half a century but got passed up by LA 30 years ago.
Thank you. Logically, if New York was gone for some reason, it would be the second largest city that would take the lead. I don't think that the demise of New York would catapult Chicago or San Francisco to the number one status.... DC would most likely stay the way it is, the administrative center of the nation. I believe that the us without new York would become much more decentralized.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,935,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Is it just me or does it feel like the country is stacking the deck / putting all its chips on SF & DC (and maybe Boston to a lesser extent, although I know far less about DC & Boston) being the places of the future, outside of NYC? With DC's future growth in importance being more manufactured and SF more organic.

I'm probably just brainwashed from local publications but it seems like SF's niche industries and economic versatility has the area primed for huge upward trends in importance. Presently I'm not entirely sure where SF & DC stand vs LA & CHI, but I see the possibility of more equality or even role reversals in importance amongst the areas in the future. I admit future prophecies can be a fickle thing to play with though.

I would love to hear otherwise though via civil discourse as I mean no disrespect and readily admit my bias / potential brainwashing. I'm looking at this as a learning experience. And just so I'm clear, I'm not talking about the cities on a superficial level (amenities, skyline, public transit, food, weather, downtown vibrancy, density, cityscape, diversity, etc etc). More along the lines of the happenings of the areas in regards to the [future] importance of their industries and economics.
The "Country" isn't putting it's chips or stacking the deck anywhere. This thread is "PRETEND"...of no relevancy in the real world.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM

199 posts, read 422,039 times
Houston did not make the list. Which is understandable - as a cultural or economic capitol it is often overlooked and under-performs, and is a rather late in the game in terms of growth, joining the top 10 largest American cities in 1960. It is however the fourth largest city, and the fifth largest metropolitan area. Boston is 21st, Washington, DC is 24th. Baltimore, which gets a number of informal mentions as contender (for its early prominence in the historical tangent), is 26th. Atlanta, which had a few supporting claimants for its cable industry, is 40th. If size were the sole indicator of what should be a nation's "first city", Jacksonville has a much stronger claim than DC or Boston or most any other American city. Jacksonville. *shudders*

There is a bit of a city 'ranking' system if you will, on a global scale in regards to city statuses, and it clearly favors Chicago from the possible American cities as the premier city after New York in the United States. Even if you do not subscribe to the study's findings, it is perception. Here's a link to the city rankings by category: Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In it, New York is considered an Alpha ++ city, the only in the world other than London. Chicago achieves a status of Alpha +, alongside Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Paris, Singapore, Sydney and Dubai. Dubai seems rather inflated if you ask me, but people making lists seldom do.

Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington DC are classified as Alpha cities, while Boston and Philadelphia are classified as Alpha - cities (along with Atlanta and Miami).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City