Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 05:55 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,430,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The commuter system is up there after NYC's as a strong point in the country for commuter rail. Boston and Philly have decent systems, but I always see Metra noted as a strong second. .
I would say Boston and Philly are pretty much at Chicago's level in terms of commuter rail. They have similar ridership, adjusted for size, and probably slightly better infrastructure in Philly (which is all-electric, and through-running downtown).

And DC and SF also have good commuter rail. BART and Metro are functionally more commuter rail than subway, at least outside city limits.

NYC is on its own level, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 06:47 PM

572 posts, read 711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
The Metro stops in the DC suburbs are just like regular commuter rail stops everywhere else. They don't magically turn sprawl into something urban.

Even the heavily developed Metro stops in places like Bethesda, Arlington, and Silver Spring aren't conventionally urban. They're still very auto-oriented and suburban in feel, just much denser.
Yup.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:59 PM

114 posts, read 171,772 times
Quote:
The Metro stops in the DC suburbs are just like regular commuter rail stops everywhere else. They don't magically turn sprawl into something urban.

Even the heavily developed Metro stops in places like Bethesda, Arlington, and Silver Spring aren't conventionally urban. They're still very auto-oriented and suburban in feel, just much denser.
The inside-the-beltway portions of the Orange and Yellow lines are about as urban as you can get. I used to try to make up reasons to drive my car because I missed driving it after relying on metro and just walking everywhere (from Alexandria). I don't know how anyone would think Rosslyn, Courthouse, King Street or Crystal City fits the definition of sprawl..

Old 12-15-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wood View Post
The inside-the-beltway portions of the Orange and Yellow lines are about as urban as you can get.
Huh? Falls Church, VA and Landover, MD are "about as urban as you can get"?

Most of the Orange and Yellow lines runs through typical suburban sprawl.
Quote:
I used to try to make up reasons to drive my car because I missed driving it after relying on metro and just walking everywhere (from Alexandria). I don't know how anyone would think Rosslyn, Courthouse, King Street or Crystal City fits the definition of sprawl..
I certainly don't agree with any of this. You have really lived in those areas and had no use for a car? How did you go grocery shopping? You walked down the street with 10 shopping bags?

Places like Crystal City are somewhat dense but completely suburban. Two blocks from the Metro and you're in typical suburbia. The density is all clustered around the Metro stop.

Are you just equating big buildings with urban? So Tysons Corner would be more urban than Paris in your mind because there are probably more blocky big buildings?

Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 PM

110 posts, read 145,683 times
Quote:

I certainly don't agree with any of this. You have really lived in those areas and had no use for a car? How did you go grocery shopping? You walked down the street with 10 shopping bags?

Places like Crystal City are somewhat dense but completely suburban. Two blocks from the Metro and you're in typical suburbia. The density is all clustered around the Metro stop.

Are you just equating big buildings with urban? So Tysons Corner would be more urban than Paris in your mind because there are probably more blocky big buildings?
That seems to be the a reocurring theme on CD, Miami is sooo urban with all those high rises right? Let's not forget Houston with its multiple office parks as well as DC's surroundings

Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
The inside-the-beltway portions of the Orange and Yellow lines are about as urban as you can get. I used to try to make up reasons to drive my car because I missed driving it after relying on metro and just walking everywhere (from Alexandria). I don't know how anyone would think Rosslyn, Courthouse, King Street or Crystal City fits the definition of sprawl..
I grew up in Fairfax County. TOD off of DC metro lines is so overrated are on these forums. I guess they're better than some other areas, but so what? It doesn't change the fact these areas are very suburban. I don't see this changing in decades.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Rosslyn and Crystal City are just vertical. There's nothing really urban about them. Have you seen people walking around these places after work hours? There aren't many.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:46 AM

13,758 posts, read 15,844,356 times
Quote:

Name a metro area with six suburbs with subway/metro access that are more urban than the area around these metro stations: Silver Spring, Bethesda, Rockville, Wheaton, Clarendon, Ballston. Once you name them, we will see how urban they are.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Name a metro area with six suburbs with subway/metro access that are more urban than the area around these metro stations: Silver Spring, Bethesda, Rockville, Wheaton, Clarendon, Ballston. Once you name them, we will see how urban they are.
Ok, how about NYC? How about all inner suburbs of NYC? Anything in Northern NJ relatively close to NYC, anything in Southern Westchester County, anything in inner Nassau County on Long Island, anything in coastal Connecticut.

Then how about LA? A typical LA suburb will be much denser than somewhere like Bethesda.

You seriously think Rockville, Wheaton and Bethesda are urban? I think the average street in these places doesn't even have sidewalks. At least for Bethesda, most of the area is very suburban. The only density is right at the Metro stop, and even there, it's suburban-style density.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,537,303 times
Old Town Alexandria is DC's only truly dense suburb. The rest are indeed suburban even with TOD, there's no Columbia Heights in MoCo, PG county, or NoVa. Old Town fits the bill though, although west if the King street and Braddock road stations are suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City