Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city offers better Cost of Living?
Cleveland, OH 6 60.00%
Philadelphia, PA 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM

145 posts, read 289,660 times

Advertisements

It is obvious that putting Cleveland against Philadelphia in a city battle would be useless (as we all know who would win that one), so I've decided to make the game a bit more fair.
You may (or may not) have seen my posts, or recognize my name, but in short I am planning a move in Early 2013 to what looks like Cleveland. However, Philadelphia also looms over head as well. So to cover all of my bases I would like to get thoughts on how vast the gap will be in a cost of living factor.
So here is the situation (please keep these numbers in mind)... I will be moving to Cleveland with a car and roughly $8,000 in hand. Or I will be moving to Philadelphia without a car and roughly $12,000 in hand. Also let it be known, I am single without kids or much of any debt.

Here's the criteria...
1) With the above numbers, which city will give me more for my money? Which city will I have more of a fighting chance with? Keep in mind, I will have $4k extra in Philly, but how far will that stretch? Also keep in mind that I'll have a car in Cleveland (although great to get around) that adds extra cost and I'll have $4k less to work with. See? Isn't this game fun? Cleveland is probably more cost efficient, but when you factor all these things in it makes for a pretty even playing field.
2) Employment - Where are jobs more plentiful/in demand (factories or customer service), and where do the jobs pay more in comparison to their COL? I make $11.59/hr right now, where do I have a better chance of getting that pay again?
3) Taxes - I figure I'd throw this in for good measure. I don't care about home/property taxes at all. I simply care about how hard the City, State, and Government is going to screw me without lube on a weekly basis. I will be living AND working in the city proper. No suburbs for me thank you very much!
4) Apartments - I have a budget of $500-$600 a month for a place. Where will I get more bang for my buck?*
5) Food and Miscellaneous - Which city is more cost efficient for food & entertainment? And yes, I know everyone has different ideas of "fun". Let's just say as for yourself if you were in each city for one night, where would you be getting a better value?
6) Anything else you may want to add.

* Please do not include safety of neighborhoods or anything else as I will include that in the QOL Battle. I simply want to know which city will give me more square footage and a better value in my place.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City