Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,007,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
but the thing is the jobs that id end up in most likely would be downtown chicago and commuting from suburbs would be difficult and long
Metra Express.

Not at all that long actually & pretty convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,648,635 times
good advice^
it says the express trains get there in like 30 min, i wonder if that's accurate

Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
good advice^
it says the express trains get there in like 30 min, i wonder if that's accurate
Yeah it is for the grand majority of the time.

I've used it myself numerous times. From Naperville to the Loop. The deal is, they're more limited. I think one express train for a while but you board in your suburbs Metra station (leaving the car in the parking lot) & the next stop or perhaps one or two stops in between the Loop.

It's efficient, short, & convenient.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Yeah it is for the grand majority of the time.

I've used it myself numerous times. From Naperville to the Loop. The deal is, they're more limited. I think one express train for a while but you board in your suburbs Metra station (leaving the car in the parking lot) & the next stop or perhaps one or two stops in between the Loop.

It's efficient, short, & convenient.
is it hard to find parking on those lots? do you know how much it costs to park?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
is it hard to find parking on those lots? do you know how much it costs to park?
Cant remember on the parking situation & how much it costs, it's been a few years but I'm sure it wouldn't be unreasonable. You can find parking in those lots quite easily though & it's relatively safe for your vehicle on theft and whatnot.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 PM

o thats kul
so i guess u used to live in chicago? would it fit me better than the other places? the main thing that attracts me i guess is the cheaper COL comparing to others, while still offering a lot, since it's a huge city

Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
so i guess u used to live in chicago?
Ehhh it's complicated but yes. I was born in Singapore, barely lived there. Moved to Chicago where my first developmental memories were in Naperville. Moved to Navi Mumbai for 2 years then back to Chicago. This time around River North. Then off to Dallas, lived there for a bit. Then Houston where I spent 12 on & off years (school year: Houston, holidays & breaks: Chicago). Then Austin & now finally Washington. January back to Austin & July back to Washington for good. I'm still on & off with Chicago, we still have our place out there so that's hella convenient.
Quote:
would it fit me better than the other places?
If you're cool with it being a bit colder & not being surrounded by as many large cities then yes absolutely. You will do fine in Chicago, it's quite a lovable place.
Quote:
the main thing that attracts me i guess is the cheaper COL comparing to others, while still offering a lot, since it's a huge city
Chicago's one of the best cities in the world. Yes, it goes without saying but there's only less than one handful amount of cities that even are global world class cities in the United States and Chicago is one of them. You'll get all your amenities, all your attractions, parks, transit, diversity, restaurants, & you'll get all of them in great quality. You'll have beaches along the waterfront with the skyline & palm trees in the background & foreground.

You'll get everything out of a city & there will hardly ever be a reason to leave what is already a world class city for anything else in the area. Some people vacation & take breaks at Lake Geneva about an hour drive north into Wisconsin. Madison is a close small college town & flights into and out of Chicago to anywhere in the United States are reasonable going by distance, time, & number of places routed.

You'll be fine.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:10 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,744,562 times
Apply to jobs in every city... wherever you get a job that pays the most then move there.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Apply to jobs in every city... wherever you get a job that pays the most then move there.
i dont think its that easy plus some cities COL is lower than others

Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,744,562 times
How do you know it isn't that easy if you haven't tried? Just apply for jobs in each city, then see what happens.

As for cost of living, D.C. will be the most expensive, then Boston, then Chicago, then Philadelphia. Just weigh what you will get paid against the price of apartments in each city and you will get a general idea of how comfortably you can live in each city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City