Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most recognized by the world
Boston 106 71.62%
Phily 42 28.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,978,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
GfK city brands index The Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands Index

This is their list

I have to agree with this, the cities represented in the North American list plus DC are the only cities in the US that are at that global level. Other cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Phily, Houston, Seattle, Detroit, Denver are all on a regional level. Miami as the results obviously show has a popularity in some parts of Europe and dominantly in South and Caribbean America but outside of that it to has a weak reputation in the rest of the globe.
well if the other cities were not part of the research how do you determine their relative score, just curious

How does Dallas or Houston rank?

I am not arguing that they would be higher but based on this link I can only make use of those actually included

and am glad you tend to agree with them, but that would be your opinion, correct? And isnt that what you seem to take issue with in general?

Quote:
GfK city brands index The Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands Index

This notes:

CBI is the world’s only survey assessing the strengths and weaknesses of 50 cities around the world, based on interviews with 20,000 citizens and consumers each year. CBI has been used by many cities to build a robust and all-around successful city environment for businesses, communities, visitors, students and more.

The cities measured in each wave include:
  • North America: Chicago, Montreal, New York, Toronto, Vancouver, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston
  • Western Europe: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Brussels, Copenhagen, Dublin, Edinburgh, Geneva, Helsinki, London, Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Paris, Rome, Stockholm
  • Central/Eastern Europe: Budapest, Istanbul, Moscow, Prague, Riga, Warsaw
  • Asia Pacific: Auckland, Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Seoul, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, Mumbai, Bangkok
  • Latin America: Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City, Buenos Aires
  • Middle East/Africa: Johannesburg, Cairo, Dubai
So the other cities were not actually ranked, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,542,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Fair enough

also some Jersey bands too but many are either more Jersey affiliated or more associated with NYC though Bon Jovi and Bruce have a fair amount of affiliation to the Philly area as well but think them more as Jersey then NYC then Philly if that makes sense (some bits of that connectivity but topic for a million other discussions)
Yeah, I guess I've always just associated Bruce Springsteen with North Jersey, especially the Jersey Shore towns like Asbury Park which along with the Stone Pony, is part of his and the E Street Band's legend at this point. The two songs I can think of in relation to Philadelphia when Springsteen comes up is obviously the "Streets of Philadelphia", but also the song "Atlantic City" which is in part about a mafia war in Philadelphia in the early 80s. The lyric "Well they blew up the chicken man in Philly last night..." was a reference to mafia boss Phillip Testa who was killed by a bomb on his porch.

I think everyone knows that Bon Jovi is from New Jersey--to what part of New Jersey they are from however, I have no idea.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,995,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well if the other cities were not part of the research how do you determine their relative score, just curious
They look at all important cities in every country, they pick 45-50 as their finalists in the world for top branded world cities. They have a list of challenging criteria each city must meet in order to advance.
Quote:
So the other cities were not actually ranked, correct?
They were considered but didn't place in the worlds top 50. They consider all meaningful and potential cities but only pick 50 from the world for their brand.

GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media provides an expanded City Brands IndexSM; the Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands IndexSM (CBI) — the only analytical ranking of the world's city brands. Working with an innovative set of tools that helps to assess, develop and implement brand strategies across cities, we provide the global and local insights needed to move a city’s reputation forward and increase the success of its business, trade and tourism efforts.
Quote:
How does Dallas or Houston rank?
Houston and Phily are similar, everyone has heard of them in the US to an extent but they don't know much about modern day Houston or Phily outside of the sports. Both are underrepresented large cities that could really use much more media exposure. Not talking about CD, where they reign kings of discussion but actual press might be good for them. Phily has come further along with its film industry but Houston has been pushing itself on the internet with these Forbes lists. As a outside point on these two cities, I think of Rocky Bulboa and tough, cold, ruthless Philadelphians when I think of Phily and the notorious sports fans don't help with that image nor does the winter weather. I don't listen to Hip Hop, when I do its westcoast Dr. Dre so I cant tell you about Phily's influence on hip hop or any city for that matter. For Houston I think of a place where jobs are being created, sweltering hot, and a decent affordable place to live.

Dallas is well known, albeit for very stereotypical reasons relating to Texas. Conservative, Bush country, pick up trucks, country music, big hair, shopping and fashion, big oil, JFK's assassination, and being the biggest city in Texas. For the hipster crowd Dallas has done well to show itself as a great trance and EDM music city but to the rest of the world the city's personality as the king of the crop TEXAS city is fascinating. The culture fascinates me, although the city leaves much to be desired from scenery point. I realize that Dallas is nothing like its reputation would embark but just saying its gone the opposite of showing what it really is to the world. It got the fame but I don't think its the type of fame it wants to be known for.
Quote:
I am not arguing that they would be higher but based on this link I can only make use of those actually included
American cities are well known in America. In the world maybe but maybe not. Very few cities have the entertainment industry in their laps, the ones that do like NYC, LA, and Las Vegas have already made a name for themselves. Miami is another one with strong entertainment industry but its stupid approach to only appeal to one part of the world has doomed them from ever being in the same sentence as NYC, LA, and Las Vegas. Las Vegas is another hazy place, its more known than Miami around the world and tourism numbers from over 130 countries can prove that but its only known appeal is the entertainment and gambling industries. Not a good look for a city that wants to grow beyond just one thing.

Atlanta, Dallas, Phily are all about the same level. Atlanta has the better film industry, and Phily has the weaker one but Phily has more musical acts and cultural influence than the other two. Dallas is in the middle of the two as the bookends have their strengths and weaknesses on each other. Seattle, Houston, and Detroit are probably in the same tier, Detroit is likely the most known of the three around the world and has a big name made for itself but its not a good one so this is the only fitting tier I could put it in. Seattle and Houston are both emerging right now but Seattle's getting recognition for tech, coffee, hipsters, and the weather which most people in the world are very weary of until the visit Seattle and find it to be exaggerated. Houston as mentioned before is the new Forbes and internet lists darling of the US but to bad the recognition it gets is for families and middle class job seekers. Its culture, arts, and city go underrated because of the lack of music or film exposure. Orlando is a family vacation place and Honolulu is widely known but mostly for small family vacations or honeymoons.

The first two quotes were about the GfK city brand index but from the third quote to this point has all been my opinion.

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-06-2012 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Boston has done a good job telling the world that it has the worlds greatest school, Harvard. Anyone that has pursued college, whether or not they applied or thought of applying to Harvard they have known about the school that stands out above the rest and that it's located in Boston. Well technically in Cambridge but that brings me to my next point, in my 34 years I have met so many people say they plan on going to school at Harvard in Boston, only to be met with the next sentence by a technical snob correcting them that it's "really in" Cambridge, across the river from Boston. Just that conversation alone is what puts Boston on the frontline, I have heard that same two liner in NYS, SoCal, and NorCal, even in Nanjing where my grandmother lives I have heard that.

I don't agree with saying Harvard is the worlds best school, today I would put Oxford, Cambridge, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, Princeton all on the same level and some I truly believe are better considering how much less in endowment they get and how close they rank to Harvard.

When I think of Boston I think of a place that's been the setting to children shows, TV shows (think some Disney ones), popular movies, hipsters, yuppies, Brazilians, its notorious sports teams, backwards Puritan ways, and has sold itself to the world as this "undisputed education" capital even though I truly believe the NYC tristate area can compete with them.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,878,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal St. Paul View Post
I think the poll makes a lot of sense. A bunch of people just GUESSING it's Boston, simply because it's Boston.
Lets see...
Philly has more famous people from the city which personally I think gives Philly the edge.
Boston might have more championships but Philly has more sports figures from the city. Kobe, Wilt, Ect.
Philadelphia and Boston history is really a tie. Personally I always found Boston history more interesting that Phillys but W.E
I love Boston movies like The Town and what not but Philadelphia also has the edge in movies. I mean some of those movies that were shot in Boston are barely even known compared to a top flight show like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Philadelphia food is more known than Bostons.
Boston doesn't even have a good rapper out that's that popular. Sammy Adams? That guy sucks.

Boston isn't even running for the Olympics which Philly might get in 2024. I personally think that Philly is going to win due to it being close to NYC and DC. Also Philly is more cheaper. The Olympic Committee wants to find a place cheap. Boston wasnt even a finalist yet
Over twice as many people voted Boston because they are "guessing"?

I think it just means that around the US more people know about Boston than Philly, or at least think they do. It's funny that some people take it as an attack (notwithstanding, this thread was definitely started as an attack )

Is It's Always Sunny really what you want representing Philadelphians?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
this thread was definitely started as an attack
No this thread was started because Mr. St. Paul insisted that Phily is the second best known city on the entire eastern seaboard, ahead of DC, Miami, Atlanta, and Boston and I completely disagree with that. Looks like 31 others aside from myself think so to.

k sure you can maybe get away with saying you're better known than Atlanta because they look to be on the exact same level on how much they're known but more known than DC, BOSTON, AND MIAMI?

What are you smoking?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:17 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,617,411 times
Quote:
You can compare their global destinations by airport with these-

Boston Logan International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phily Philadelphia International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boston has the more impressive number of flag carriers and global airlines.

Boston clearly has more global destinations, seeing as how its more known around the world, and more visited city, and its not even close but for such a large city why does Phily have such limited connections?
It is important to note that airlines will often base their service offerings on a broader, more regional market.

Being that Philadelphia is close enough to air traffic powerhouse of New York (whose combined airspace by far is the most congested in the country), many airlines probably think people in the Philly area trying to reach certain international destinations will just go fly out of JFK or Newark. On a personal note, I've flown to London out of JFK rather than PHL, simply because that flight was much cheaper out of New York (more volume of flights). I know I'm not the only one to do this, and I'm sure this trend stifles the local market for international flights out of Philly. This is very different from smaller cities without the same type of air traffic competition, such as Denver, Seattle, and even Boston (Logan essentially serves the international needs of all of New England).

In the coming years, though, it's pretty clear that Philly will be getting a lot of the overflow traffic from the NYC area, which will likely include more international traffic.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-06-2012 at 06:29 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 PM

14,038 posts, read 15,061,559 times
Quote:
I think I already said in another thread that Philly has a bigger name regonition to the youth today. From musical acts that get our name out, to TV show theme songs and intros. The people under 19 don't even think about Boston as much as Philadelphia. Go to Worldstarhiphop.com You don't see any Boston videos there? Or no music videos based in Boston.However I do see a lot of Philly. Now this site might not be popular to any of you guys on here but its one of the top most popular sites among our youth today. You don't hear nobody reppin' Boston these days.

Boston on facebook has 62,000 likes.
Philadelphia on facebook has 144,000 likes.
or its because the city Limits of Philly are about 2.5x more populated, which is about the proportion of FB likes.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,807,946 times
Quote:
I think the poll makes a lot of sense. A bunch of people just GUESSING it's Boston, simply because it's Boston.
Lets see...
Philly has more famous people from the city which personally I think gives Philly the edge.
Boston might have more championships but Philly has more sports figures from the city. Kobe, Wilt, Ect.
Philadelphia and Boston history is really a tie. Personally I always found Boston history more interesting that Phillys but W.E
I love Boston movies like The Town and what not but Philadelphia also has the edge in movies. I mean some of those movies that were shot in Boston are barely even known compared to a top flight show like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Philadelphia food is more known than Bostons.
Boston doesn't even have a good rapper out that's that popular. Sammy Adams? That guy sucks.

Boston isn't even running for the Olympics which Philly might get in 2024. I personally think that Philly is going to win due to it being close to NYC and DC. Also Philly is more cheaper. The Olympic Committee wants to find a place cheap. Boston wasnt even a finalist yet

Another quality and well thought out post. Who knew so many people would be guessing.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,881 times
Quote:
Phily
Care to explain why you continuously spell a basic name like "Philly" wrong intentionally?

I know it's intentional because there have been hundreds of posts where people spell it right and I know you have read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City