Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most recognized by the world
Boston 106 71.62%
Phily 42 28.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:54 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I am Chinese and no one in China knows or even cares about Phily, its the Nanjing of the US. Given that Phily's international tourism numbers are less than 700,000 I would guess that most people in the world outside of Europe don't know what Phily is and seeing as how its diversity is just a clip above Birmingham, AL (mostly white-black diversity) I am willing to say its true.
The way you say things is similar to what I've seen before
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaNightmare View Post
i love how chicagoans love to claim they have "beaches too" ...lmaaooooo

get real a big lake with no waves, no crustaceans, no dolphins, and a couple pathetic tiny palm trees is no match for the vast pacific ocean.

LA kills chicago... no one in california really considers chicago on the same level as even SF! lol... chicago is like seattle,atlanta,boston to us in terms of importance ..sure its a nice big city but its just there..nothing special unlike L.A

lets put it in perspective...the city of Nanjing in China has an even smaller population than Chicago..its skyline is vast and has many amenities just like any other big city...but do most people know about it? even care about it? nope not really...so its just there, nothing more....not on the same level as Beijing or Shanghai which people instantly know. Thats the same way Chicago is in the U.S..its the Nanjing of the U.S

^^Nanjing
The difference is in the grammar and punctuation. I don't have proof for it but I'm pretty sure we've heard the Nanjing thing before from you. "its the Nanjing of the US", that catch phrase.

If not, then my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
The way you say things is similar to what I've seen before

The difference is in the grammar and punctuation. I don't have proof for it but I'm pretty sure we've heard the Nanjing thing before from you. "its the Nanjing of the US", that catch phrase.

If not, then my bad.
Like Nanjing, Phily is an important and historical city to its country but its underrated because its not in the spotlight. Just like Nanjing, Phily has been the capital of its country, Nanjing has been the capital of China over several dynasties. Nanjing has one of the worlds largest skylines, has a population of over 10M, and just like Phily its inland but 30-50 miles from the coastline. Nanjing does have much better weather and scenery than Phily and its one of China's top 10 most important cities. Beijing and Shanghai are more like the LA and DC of China because China doesn't have any city in NYC's league. Tianjin is the Chicago of China. Shenzen and Guangzhou are the Dallas and Houston's. Dongguang is the San Francisco bay area, even down to the Humen Pearl river bridge. Shenyang is the Boston.

I am on both sides of the Pacific frequently and when I see some of these cities in China, I cant help but make a mental note of what American cities they remind me of.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,110 times
Quote:
I think EDM is the most known music culture and biggest influence on music today. Clubmusic and that sh-t Scrillex type of music are the popular trends today. Even in hip hop, all the Florida rappers, even some California rappers, Texas rappers, New York rappers have started sampling EDM beats and backsound.
Skrillex is garbage and so are Skrillex followers. He's a disservice to dubstep music. If you want prime quality and real dubstep music look at Joker and Buriel.

Buriel is one of my favorite musical artists and Joker has better style than Skrillex. Dubstep is popular in Boston, just as techno, trance, electronic clubmusic, or electronic music are.

Burial - Endorphin - YouTube

Joker - Tron - YouTube

I like Dubstep but I prefer tehcno more. My favorite artist in techno is out of Dallas, he now lives here in Seattle but credits his style from his Dallas roots. This is my favorite music from my favorite artist.

Lusine Gravity - YouTube

Skrillex is the most known Dubstep artist but the quality of his music is low. Think of Skrillex as the Lil Wayne of the Dubstep world, huge crowds of fans, lots of mainstream time but little talent and authenticity.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,110 times
Quote:
Dallas is well known, albeit for very stereotypical reasons relating to Texas. Conservative, Bush country, pick up trucks, country music, big hair, shopping and fashion, big oil, JFK's assassination, and being the biggest city in Texas. For the hipster crowd Dallas has done well to show itself as a great trance and EDM music city but to the rest of the world the city's personality as the king of the crop TEXAS city is fascinating. The culture fascinates me, although the city leaves much to be desired from scenery point. I realize that Dallas is nothing like its reputation would embark but just saying its gone the opposite of showing what it really is to the world. It got the fame but I don't think its the type of fame it wants to be known for.
Dallas and Nashville are probably my favorite cities in the south for music. The music that comes out of Dallas artists are some of my personal favorites. For example Lusine the most inspirational one but DoZer and Nick Turner are also talented DJ's. Dallas also has some of the best all trance venues with 2505, Zouk, and Blue. Some of those clubs are fashioned the same way as the ones in Miami, another city where trance, dubstep, techno music are a big deal. It's one part of the reason why I love the southern cities because they have a diverse collection of music and artists. I'm big into music, art, fashion, and culture. It defines my lifestyle, its much more than just a hobby for me. Dallas and Miami are easily the best cities in the south for all of those things IMO.

Not bad for a city that you're basically describing a "backwater", I do agree with one thing that Dallas could do less of Texas and more of its own Dallas culture and it would have no problems registering positively in peoples minds.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Boston. Kids from all over the world jump at the chance to go to Harvard.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:38 PM

93 posts, read 158,307 times
Boston

Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I like Dubstep but I prefer tehcno more. My favorite artist in techno is out of Dallas, he now lives here in Seattle but credits his style from his Dallas roots. This is my favorite music from my favorite artist.

Lusine Gravity - YouTube

Skrillex is the most known Dubstep artist but the quality of his music is low. Think of Skrillex as the Lil Wayne of the Dubstep world, huge crowds of fans, lots of mainstream time but little talent and authenticity.
Your taste in music is pretty good and you seem to have an idea about the musicians and venues, which one of these two cities are better for this type of music? Boston or Phily?

My guess would be Boston, just because of the hipster population, normally they are the ones most into dubstep.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 AM

6 posts, read 8,005 times
Boston hands down!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well if the other cities were not part of the research how do you determine their relative score, just curious

How does Dallas or Houston rank?

and am glad you tend to agree with them, but that would be your opinion, correct? And isnt that what you seem to take issue with in general?

So the other cities were not actually ranked, correct?
All your questions will now be answered. This is the only universal team that ranks cities on brand name.

You have seen the 2009 list of the top 50, am I right?
Quote:
The cities measured in each wave include:

North America: Chicago, Montreal, New York, Toronto, Vancouver, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston
Western Europe: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Brussels, Copenhagen, Dublin, Edinburgh, Geneva, Helsinki, London, Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Paris, Rome, Stockholm
Central/Eastern Europe: Budapest, Istanbul, Moscow, Prague, Riga, Warsaw
Asia Pacific: Auckland, Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Seoul, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, Mumbai, Bangkok
Latin America: Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City, Buenos Aires
Middle East/Africa: Johannesburg, Cairo, Dubai
This is the top 10 in 2009
Quote:
1. Paris
2. Sydney
3. London
4. Rome
5. New York
6. Barcelona
7. San Francisco
8. Los Angeles
9. Vienna
10. Madrid

Paris ranks highest in 2011 Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands Index | Branding Places
Now this is their 2012 group Anholt - GfK Roper City Brands Index
Quote:
The cities measured in each wave include:

North America: Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto, Vancouver
Western Europe: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Brussels, Copenhagen, Dublin, Edinburgh, Geneva, Helsinki, London, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Rome, Stockholm, The Hague, Vienna
Central/Eastern Europe: Budapest, Istanbul, Moscow, Prague, Warsaw
Asia Pacific: Auckland, Bangkok, Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Mumbai, Seoul, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo
Latin America: Buenos Aires, Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro
Middle East/Africa: Cairo, Dubai, Jeddah, Johannesburg
They never released their 2012 top 10 but did have a top 10 from 2011 Paris ranks highest in 2011 Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands Index | Branding Places
Quote:
2011 Anholt-GfK Roper City Brands Index(SM)Overall BrandRanking
1 Paris
2 London
3 Sydney
4 New York
5 Los Angeles
6 Rome
7 Washington D.C.
8 Melbourne
9 Vienna
10 Tokyo
LA moves up from 8th to 5th which is more deserving spot for LA if you had to ask me, and DC replaces San Francisco on the top 10 list and takes San Francisco's 7th spot. On the top 50, there has been an inclusion of Dallas and Seattle for North America and Montreal drops out of the top 50 altogether.

You also asked if they studied Phily and they did in their research but it didn't make the cut for the top 50 in either 2009 or 2012. Under all 6 segments you can choose the country of your interest, then go to the other bar and find the cities they researched and Phily is an option there.
Simon Anholt - Research - City Brands Index

Phily in 2007 was ranked 31st in the brand index
Quote:
1) Sydney
2) London
3) Paris
4) Rome
5) New York
6) Washington D.C.
7) San Francisco
8) Melbourne
9) Barcelona
10) Geneva
11) Amsterdam
12) Madrid
13) Montreal
14) Toronto
15) Los Angeles
16) Vancouver
17) Berlin
18) Brussels
19) Milan
20) Copenhagen
21) Munich
22) Tokyo
23) Boston
24) Las Vegas
25) Seattle
26) Stockholm
27) Chicago
28) Atlanta
29) Dublin
30) Edinburgh
31) Philadelphia
32) Oslo
33) Lisborn
34) Prague
35) Singapore
36) Helsinki
37) Hong Kong
38) Dallas
39) New Orleans
40) St. Petersburg
41) Rio de Janeiro
42) Buenos Aires
43) Beijing
44) Seoul
45) Reykjavik
46) Budapest
47) Shanghai
48) Moscow
49) Johannesburg
50) Mexico City
51) Warsaw
52) Havana
53) Jerusalem
54) Bangkok
55) Cairo
56) Dubrovnnik
57) Mumbai
58) Manila
59) Lagos
60) Nairobi
But has since from 2007 dropped out of their lists altogether. From 2007 to 2011 LA has moved from 15th to 5th!

More news on that here http://www.citybrandsindex.com/downl...06-q4-free.pdf

It's not something to feel bad about, Phily at one point was a more known city but with the rise of other cities in the US and the rest of the world (Vienna, Jeddah, Shenzen) its becoming a challenge, as are many other good cities. Montreal, Atlanta, and Phily have all fallen out of the top 50 from 2007 to 2012.

Last edited by scrantiX; 08-07-2012 at 02:44 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 AM

304 posts, read 871,587 times
I am definitely biased, but I would have to say Boston. Both are obviously well-known, but my perception is that Boston is much more internationally recognized than Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City