Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most recognized by the world
Boston 106 71.62%
Phily 42 28.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,882,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal St. Paul View Post
I think I already said in another thread that Philly has a bigger name regonition to the youth today. From musical acts that get our name out, to TV show theme songs and intros. The people under 19 don't even think about Boston as much as Philadelphia. Go to Worldstarhiphop.com You don't see any Boston videos there? Or no music videos based in Boston.However I do see a lot of Philly. Now this site might not be popular to any of you guys on here but its one of the top most popular sites among our youth today. You don't hear nobody reppin' Boston these days.

Boston on facebook has 62,000 likes.
Philadelphia on facebook has 144,000 likes.
I really wouldn't be surprised if in hip-hop culture (I know that is a stupid term I made up but whatever), Philly is more well known, maybe even far more well known than Boston.

Unfortunately, that culture does not comprise the majority of the world, or even the US.

Sorry but Harvard is more well known worldwide than Will Smith or The Roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM

14,041 posts, read 15,070,876 times
Quote:
There is also a genre called Philly Soul. Saying Boston has a bigger musical impact is just delusional.
Areosmith? the Cars? Dropkick Murphys? Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch? Boston (band)?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Dude Both CSA's are around the same size and people from all over the country are liking the page. How about you check for yourself.
Nobody likes the town over, thats dumb.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,996,347 times
Quote:
today Hip-Hop is easily the biggest and most known culture there is today.
I think EDM is the most known music culture and biggest influence on music today. Clubmusic and that sh-t Scrillex type of music are the popular trends today. Even in hip hop, all the Florida rappers, even some California rappers, Texas rappers, New York rappers have started sampling EDM beats and backsound.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,809,327 times
Philly is not the biggest hip hop hotbed in its state, that honor goes to Pittsburgh with Mac Miller and Whiz Khalifa.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Will Smith is pretty well known.. But like I was saying, today Hip-Hop is easily the biggest and most known culture there is today. So much comes out of Hip Hop today. IN HIP-HOP culture, Philly is known more than Boston by 1 million times over. So Philly on the impact of Hip Hop alone makes it more known than Boston.
No, it is not. A huge culture yes, but the biggest? I don't think so.

And about the Boston vs. Philly music scene - I personally like Philadelphia bands more (especially considering most Boston bands I like are actually from Amherst), but I think Boston has produced more nationally-recognized groups.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROJA44 View Post
Philly is not the biggest hip hop hotbed in its state, that honor goes to Pittsburgh with Mac Miller and Whiz Khalifa.
LOL

Mac Miller: Blue Slide Park | Album Reviews | Pitchfork

Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Marky Mark's hip-hop career was shorter than Kim K's marriage. He started making movies based in *drumroll please* PHILADELPHIA. He had Ben Franklin Syndrome. That's when you leave Boston because you see something even better in Philly.
that was a joke, that wasnt a career. But Philly has nothing national Like the Boston Pops Holiday Spectacular

Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,996,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Care to explain why you continuously spell a basic name like "Philly" wrong intentionally?
There is only 1 "l" in the beginning of Philadelphia. There is no "y" in it. I like to write Phily more, gives the city a more unique look than "philly".
Quote:
I know it's intentional because there have been hundreds of posts where people spell it right and I know you have read them.
When I see the word "Philly" I automatically imagine a person that looks like Jesus, wears a caprice, is morbidly obese, weighing 320lbs, has a thick mustache with lays chips crumbs on it, always looks out of breadth, always passing gas and farting (disgusting), always hungry, a little bit redneck, conservative, and calls himself "the fat Jesus".

In contrast Philadelphia is a beautiful city name, just say it, Philadelphia. It just rings. Philly on the other hand is disgusting, unsophisticated, and makes me want to puke. So that is why I call it Phily and not Philly, my personal tastes would lead me to barfing with Philly.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Dude no culture today and I mean NONE is more of an influence than Hip-Hop today.

Also Jay-Z's MIA Festival is in Philly which will be aired all over TV. Which will get Philly's name out even more. I wonder why it wasn't set in Boston?
Which is why 16 presidents including the current one went to Harvard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City