Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Dallas becoming the Chicago Of The South
Yes 25 14.62%
No 146 85.38%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:16 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You are probably mistaken.
Houston lost a couple of F500 the last couple of years, meaning the gap would be wider.
You mean DFW lost some. IIRC, DFW got to within one or two F500 companies of Houston last decade before losing some.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I don't believe that Dallas can become the most important city in the South. A port goes a long way elevating a city and Dallas is land locked. I would give the nod to Houston.
A port can go a long way, but not having a port doesn't exclude a city from being important or even great. For example, the most important cities in France, Russia, and Mexico do not have a port.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
A port can go a long way, but not having a port doesn't exclude a city from being important or even great. For example, the most important cities in France, Russia, and Mexico do not have a port.
I agree. It would affect it if the coasts where in a seperate country and Dallas had to pay tarrifs to port cities like Houston and New Orleans. But that is not the case nor will it be as long as the continental US maintains it's current boundaries. That's the way Mexico City, Paris, and Russian cities are. They are one country and the cities are not economically landlocked. If a nation is not landlocked than neither are it's cities.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
You know. An airPORT doesnt just send travelers to their destination. It also sends goods.Why do we ignore the last part of the word, airport.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Atlanta feels more Chicagoish(ive always defended this contention, not just because i live here now). Atlanta has a corporate feel to it with prominent universities(intellectual centers) scattered throughout. It is Also aesthetically pleasing like chitown. Sizewise, I will give it to Dallas since it is sizable metro(slightly bigger than the other 3) and shopping too. Houston has a massive skyline and resembles chicago in that category. I am not sure about Mia.
"Atlanta feels more Chicagoish." Granted, I did not grow up in Chicago; I'm from suburban Harvey. Granted, I don't live in Atlanta proper; I live in Chamblee. Although, I have an Atlanta address. Point is, I don't get a "Chicago-ish" feel here in Atlanta. Chicago VIBES! There is no other feeling like it. I don't understand your sentiment at all. Please do explain. I'm very interested to know why you feel this way.

By the way, I've lived in Memphis for five years. Despite its problems, Memphis is a great city! That place VIBES! It has its own unique vibe. I write this to say that I am not against the south. However, it wasn't until I moved to GA, that I began to read and hear phrases such as, New York of the South, Harvard of the South, etc. What the fudge is that all about?

Dallas, Austin, and El Paso are the big three major Texan cities that I haven't been to. Thinking about the time that I have spent in Texas makes me drool! Texas has a totally different vibe. I saw palm trees for the first time in my life! I saw Black people in cowboy hats and boots! I eventually bought a Stetson! I would put it on and admire myself, every now and then. Did I mention the women? I wasn't married then! However, Chicago or "up north", were the farthest things from my mind while I was in Texas. I appreciated Houston for Houston, San Antonio for San Antonio, Corpus Christi (CC) for CC, etc. Same for Memphis and Atlanta.

Someone please explain the comparisons and wishing to be like some Northern cities. I don't get it. Why can't a city be the most important city in the region without being the Chicago of that region?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
"Atlanta feels more Chicagoish." Granted, I did not grow up in Chicago; I'm from suburban Harvey. Granted, I don't live in Atlanta proper; I live in Chamblee. Although, I have an Atlanta address. Point is, I don't get a "Chicago-ish" feel here in Atlanta. Chicago VIBES! There is no other feeling like it. I don't understand your sentiment at all. Please do explain. I'm very interested to know why you feel this way.

By the way, I've lived in Memphis for five years. Despite its problems, Memphis is a great city! That place VIBES! It has its own unique vibe. I write this to say that I am not against the south. However, it wasn't until I moved to GA, that I began to read and hear phrases such as, New York of the South, Harvard of the South, etc. What the fudge is that all about?

Dallas, Austin, and El Paso are the big three major Texan cities that I haven't been to. Thinking about the time that I have spent in Texas makes me drool! Texas has a totally different vibe. I saw palm trees for the first time in my life! I saw Black people in cowboy hats and boots! I eventually bought a Stetson! I would put it on and admire myself, every now and then. Did I mention the women? I wasn't married then! However, Chicago or "up north", were the farthest things from my mind while I was in Texas. I appreciated Houston for Houston, San Antonio for San Antonio, Corpus Christi (CC) for CC, etc. Same for Memphis and Atlanta.

Someone please explain the comparisons and wishing to be like some Northern cities. I don't get it. Why can't a city be the most important city in the region without being the Chicago of that region?
That's true Now that youmention it . There are always comparison's like "NYC of the South", "which southern city feels more like L.A.?" etc etc.

I don't know why because alot of these cities already have an identity and image for themselves.

mas23

Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Those cities are much older and grew to what they are today being major rail centers. In todays economy it's a global economy which makes having a seaport even more important. The only city in the US that comes to mind is Chicago that grew to what it is today being a major rail center. Even with that Chicago does have a port (mostly bulk tonnage).

Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You know. An airPORT doesnt just send travelers to their destination. It also sends goods.Why do we ignore the last part of the word, airport.
Air cargo is too expensive a means to ship overseas cargo. Furthermore there is no way that a 747 cargo jet can carry anywhere close to the capacity of a container ship.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Those cities are much older and grew to what they are today being major rail centers. In todays economy it's a global economy which makes having a seaport even more important.
What about London? They got rid of their port in the last few decades and seem to be doing ok.

I agree with an earlier comment. Having a port is more critical on a country level. On a city level, it's not nearly as important and it's because we live in a global economy. For example most of our goods are imports not exports and many of the goods that make their way to Dallas (or Houston or Philly) enter in Los Angeles.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:54 PM

For you to use London as an example for a case of Dallas is laughable. London is the major city in the UK as New York is to the US. London is well established in other sectors of the economy and has been for decades, not to mention where the government is based and has never been the major shipping center for the UK to begin with (Liverpool is the UK's major port city). Besides, all 2nd and 3rd tier US cities have inland intermodal ports and many of those goods are run through to other locales.

Houston is definately number one to emerge as the dominant city in the south whenever that day comes. Company headquarters can relocate. A natural seaport cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City