Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what city do you like better?
Boston 78 62.40%
Miami 47 37.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM

50 posts, read 88,602 times

Advertisements

Frankly I see very few areas where Miami even has anything on Boston (but thats up for debate) other than a more organized grid, COL, warmer beaches, for some weather (for me, no), and the nightlife (again for me, just no). On the grid, I like Boston the way it is now its what makes Boston more distinguishable and some areas on Charles are grided. The areas that were built on landfill as "new Boston" I am speaking of.

However that isn't to say these areas cant be compared either way. Living is personal preference so state which one you would rather live in. Then after youre done with that state which one impresses you more, because I understand some people would rather live one place (for jobs, weather, family, etc) but still like the other place much more. Remember to give reasons why you picked your choice city it could be from jobs, schools, food, diversity, scenery, weather, COL, shopping, family, friends, location, or the status of the city (clean or unclean, safe or unsafe, etc).

Pictures are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 PM

425 posts, read 371,079 times
Neither.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Miami.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i chose miami

but i think i wan't to change my answer

Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i chose miami

but i think i wan't to change my answer
me too, but then I remembered how Spanish that city is and wished I chose Boston.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Being a native Bostonian, I'm obviously biased but I choose Boston.

Aside from their large Brasilian and Caribbean populations, these two cities couldn't really be any more different.

Miami is all about flash and showing off your wealth (even if you aren't wealthy), while Boston is more head-down, work hard.

Both are dense, but Boston's density comes from tight streets and row homes, while Miami's comes from high-rise condos.

Miami's culture is heavily influenced by Latin America, while Boston's is distinctly European.

Boston has arguably the most impressive lineup of institutions of higher learning with Harvard, MIT, Tufts, Boston College, Boston University, Suffolk, Northeastern, Berklee, Bentley, Brandeis, and many others calling the area home. Miami has the University of Miami, which is a good school but doesn't measure up to the big boys in Boston.

Boston's population is among the most highly educated in the nation (43% of 25+ pop with Bachelor's Degree; 19% with Graduate Degree), Miami is not (28.1%; 10.4%). As a result, Boston's economy is heavily knowledge-based. It is potentially the medical research capital of the world, has a massive financial services industry, and could be the best biotech sector in the nation, along with the top nanotech cluster and one of the 3 best high tech sectors in the nation too. Aside from this, three of the world's five best/four of the ten best management consulting firms (Bain, Boston Consulting Group, Monitor, Analysis Group) are in Boston/Cambridge (source). Conversely, Miami has a lower-skilled workforce, with a larger concentration on the Port of Miami, tourism and service jobs--though it does have a TON of Latin American companies with their US headquarters in the area.

In terms of nightlife, Boston is pretty quiet and shuts down early while Miami has arguably one of the three best scenes in the nation.

The beaches in greater Boston are beautiful, but there's nothing like South Beach, along with its fantastic location and the beautiful people that it attracts.

Overall, Boston is more my style. I think Miami has an incredible Latin culture, but I feel like it's also the king of the "$50,000 millionaires". I would love to visit Miami or even spend an extended winter vacation (if I were living in Boston...SP's winters don't get very cold) there if I had the chance. But for permanent living, give me Boston every day of the week.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
(I accidentally voted Miami)

Boston (anywhere as far away from downtown as possible)
Like the 4 seasons, new england scenery, better public transportation and a great location

Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Boston's cool.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
(I accidentally voted Miami)

Boston (anywhere as far away from downtown as possible)
Like the 4 seasons, new england scenery, better public transportation and a great location
What's wrong with DT Boston?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What's wrong with DT Boston?
haha yea usually it's people wanting to be as close to DT as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City