Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 02:57 PM

591 posts, read 782,263 times

Advertisements

to be honest i would say all of them.
all of them are very dense, have nice architecture, and have good nightlife. i would give the edge to San Francisco, because their nightlife is noticeably better, and of its fame around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Really, though? And I don't believe that the Mexican missionaries were the first either. I believe it was the Ohlone People. Maybe we should give the whole area back to the Ohlone!
I guess by "settled" I meant by people who built something other than teepees and other structures that wouldn't blow away in a strong wind lol. But fine have it your way, just make sure the other 99% of SF leaves as well and revert back to calling it "Yerba Buena". That area was way cooler before all those Wells Fargo covered wagon's, the 1850's equivalent of Google buses, ruined "The Village" anyways lol.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:20 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Wow, that SF map looks different than mine...
+1 San Andreas is one of the best games of all time lol

Old 02-26-2015, 04:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Philly

Old 02-26-2015, 04:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
What would be a good example, then? I'm not familiar enough to find a good example on my own, Im afraid. I tried looking in the Rittenhouse area, but I couldn't find anything better.

This Market Street?

I guess I don't see it....

What exactly makes it feel bigger than a place like State Street or Devonshire Street in Boston?

I assure you Boston's commercial streets are neither quiet nor quaint. Personally, I think that structure plays a bigger role in the big city feel of a place, but if your looking for vibrancy, Boston has tons of that too in places like Boylston Street, Hanover Street, Mass Ave, and others.
Here would be more what I would say is consistent with non high-rise DT areas

(BTW Delancey St is what I would consider a half block between Spruce and Pine more main streets; its also very expensive, maybe the single most expensive street in Philly - the area you showed is not Rittenhouse its the 500 block which is Society Hill and far more colonial - in Rittenhouse most of Delancey is old row home mansions many fetching 3-8 million)

This is Washington West
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9484...vwXJ8WsZLQ!2e0

Rittenhouse
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9478...ZEHrMGNZ8g!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9495...nOp_k77tNg!2e0

Old City
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9526...KpeYe-w3hg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...74899ec63d1e56

On Market and JFK or Center City West - to me it actually can feel a little larger in scale than Boston - more similar to Market in SF actually - Boston has tight buildings on curved streets DT and does have some traits similar to DT Manhattan in this regrad but even with more office Sq footage than Philly feels a smaller scale there (love the Fin District in Boston though and flow into the North end or even flow in Copley/Backbay)

Modern Office Canyons in Market West

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9527...l1b5qpi_Ig!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9541...Cu8gZSqUvw!2e0

but a lot is ubjective and love traits of all three of these

in terms of a more typical rowhouse neighborhood (most of CC is not really rowhouse nabes between Vine and South)

S Philly

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9380...AvQnGec-_g!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9400...KlAmKub9VQ!2e0

or say Art Museum - can go on and on with these areas

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9687...BRroFX01bA!2e0

Old 02-26-2015, 05:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
You guys are all bad at math. Pie r squared. A 5 mile radius is around 78.5 sq mi.

Anyway, I digress. Not even looking at weighted average, the "average" density of SF is about 18k ppsm at this point with a population approaching 850k. Add in Daly City and you get closer to 1 million (~950k+) with a density of "only" 17,500 ppsm, contiguous. Sure, SF then basically cuts off as it has a mountain range to the south and water on the other 3 sides. However, ~50 sq mi at ~17.5k ppsm, un-weighted by population.

Just think about this. For Boston to do the same, its surrounding cities have to be closer to 30-40k ppsm so that the central 50 sq mi can be upwards of SF's city limits or city limits + Daly City density. This is not the case. And Philly? More contiguous, but no severely great peaks and no real substantial areas greater than 30k ppsm. It doesn't have the density that Boston or SF have, and Boston doesn't have the density that SF has.

Just think about this logically.
and to the first million Philly is right on par - potentially higher depending on where you draw the lines

I can draw a 49 sq mile area in Philly with a population over one million and have done so with connected zips in the past - Philly has ~50 sq miles within the 135 sq mile city limit with virtually zero population between ports, airports (two) parks and industrial spaces (all three have this Philly has more in terms of industrial, airports and ports among these three). At nearly 1.6 million in the remaining ~80 square miles it has pretty good density where people live on a continuum even with burb like areas in the far NE and NW Philly which can be almost surburban in parts

All are dense and SF has some very dense small areas in the core moving away they are very similar

nei has chart somewhere to show this

Philly extended also can sustain density over 10K connected for 200 sq miles - again did this calculation

depending on what is the density considered urban (say > 10K on continuity) Philly has the largest continuous footprint of these three probably right after LA and Chicago in this regard

if you want continuous over 50K SF would have the most but again this is like 1 sq mile maybe if that

SF probably maintains an edge of continuous 30+K (as many 30+K nabes in philly are not directly connected to the core like mid S Philly (Passyunk Sq with a 25K nabe in between in Bella Vista)

I have spent considerable time in all three and arguments can be made for any of these three but on the whole they are more similar than different in built compression

Old 02-27-2015, 04:29 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisplacesucksbad View Post
MSA is what should count for Philly and Boston. CSA for SF.

Philly's CSA has a major omission on behalf of Trenton and Allentown going to the NYC MSA.

Philly comes out ahead of Boston in CSA GDP and population if Trenton and Allentown are re-added.
True, and both are "on the bubble" in terms of the Census Bureau criteria for determining what counties belong in a metropolitan area and what don't.

Both Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton (Lehigh and Northampton counties, PA) and Trenton (Mercer County, NJ) send enough residents to work in counties in the Philadelphia and New York CSAs to be included in either.

Both, however, lie in the Philadelphia media shed (ADI - "area of dominant influence"). The New York Times may keep a reporter in Trenton to cover New Jersey state government, but both The Philadelphia Inquirer and WPVI-TV (6ABC) maintain Trenton bureaus that cover more than the New Jersey State House.

Someone in the Lehigh Valley would have to tell me whether cable systems there carry the New York stations; I'm pretty certain they do carry Philadelphia's. However: the Lehigh Valley has its own broadcast TV stations (one UHF independent and one PBS station) and thus is a somewhat separate media market, and its highway connections to New York are better than the ones it has to Philadelphia.

Mercer County was moved from the Philadelphia MSA to the New York MSA in order to give Federal employees working in the county a pay raise.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:27 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Mercer County was moved from the Philadelphia MSA to the New York MSA in order to give Federal employees working in the county a pay raise.
False. Mercer County sends wayyy more workers to the NY MSA than to the Philly MSA, in 2000, the margin was 3.6 to 1
https://www.city-data.com/forum/21543009-post566.html

Old 02-27-2015, 06:59 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
False. Mercer County sends wayyy more workers to the NY MSA than to the Philly MSA, in 2000, the margin was 3.6 to 1
https://www.city-data.com/forum/21543009-post566.html
As of 2000, yes. But keep in mind that was likely not historically the case.

Philadelphia's transit system, SEPTA, has long-established direct train line service into Trenton, NJ--the state capital of NJ and county seat of Mercer County. Clearly this speaks to a strong commuter flow in connection with the Philly region.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
As of 2000, yes. But keep in mind that was likely not historically the case.

Philadelphia's transit system, SEPTA, has long-established direct train line service into Trenton, NJ--the state capital of NJ and county seat of Mercer County. Clearly this speaks to a strong commuter flow in connection with the Philly region.
Great, but the premise that this was a scheme to appease federal workers is FALSE. Patently False.

The only thing that matters is the number of workers. 3x more Mercer County people work in New York than Philadelphia.

Stockton is also part of the Sacramento TV market but they commute to the Bay Area 4-5 times more than to Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City