Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
All I know is Baltimore is about 90 minutes away and DC about 2 hours and change. Both seem pretty close and both are pretty urban
It's pretty close, but they're different in the way they display it. Baltimore is more of a rowhouse city compared to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
they both seem urban in a different way to me.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Baltimore
Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Old 08-30-2012, 06:26 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,656,477 times
I prefer Baltimore's style and feel, but let's not forget that DC has one of the nation's most extensive transit systems, and rail transit is one of the hallmarks of urban life. I love Baltimore's transit system as well, but it is much more limited, making a pedestrian-oriented lifestyle a little tougher in many areas.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
As an aside, I will mention that those of us who live between D.C. and Baltimore have access to the best of both worlds.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
Since Baltimore is more historic, it has a better defined urban look but DC feels more vibrant. I guess if I wanted the city amenities I'd choose DC over Baltimore every single time. Baltimore is still a great place though.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
They are both very urban. I think of rowhomes when I think of DC too, although most are in much better shape than Baltimore. I prefer Baltimore as a city but urbanity is about even, even if a lot of DC urbanity seems manufactured or forced in a way. Traditional east coast cities developed their urban areas due to the massive industries there. DC did not.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
They are both very urban. I think of rowhomes when I think of DC too, although most are in much better shape than Baltimore. I prefer Baltimore as a city but urbanity is about even, even if a lot of DC urbanity seems manufactured or forced in a way. Traditional east coast cities developed their urban areas due to the massive industries there. DC did not.
I wonder though - how relevant is that industrial past to the northeast cities today? All of them - Philly, NYC, Boston - that were once industrial later on re-invented themselves and became mainly service economies. If they hadn't, then they would most likely have gone the way of rust belt cities. How many people move to northeast cities today for industrial jobs?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I wonder though - how relevant is that industrial past to the northeast cities today? All of them - Philly, NYC, Boston - that were once industrial later on re-invented themselves and became mainly service economies. If they hadn't, then they would have gone the way of rust belt cities. How many people move to northeast cities today for industrial jobs?

Dont disagree, though the building styling (and a more compressed form than their rust belt counterparts) has left a mark on the urban form. Moreso for Baltimore in this case than DC. Does it have to be industrial to be urban, absolutely not but there are elements that make the feel different.

DC is actually fairly unique as a city with a very urban and cohesive core extended without the industrial influence, an outlier in this regard.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Dont disagree, though the building styling (and a more compressed form than their rust belt counterparts) has left a mark on the urban form. Moreso for Baltimore in this case than DC. Does it have to be industrial to be urban, absolutely not but there are elements that make the feel different.

DC is actually fairly unique as a city with a very urban and cohesive core extended without the industrial influence, an outlier in this regard.
This is true. Baltimore is actually kind of in trouble right now, partly because it didn't successfully adapt its economy to changing times fast enough. Its city population continues to decline.

I'm still wondering what city's row houses resemble the densest row house developments in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City