Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better sports town?
Chicago 45 38.14%
Boston 38 32.20%
Philadelphia 35 29.66%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 02:06 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times

Advertisements

Also to be fair everybody cared when UMass was good at basketball. Fairweather I guess.

I had a UMass starter jacket in the 90's and I wasn't the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 02:32 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
What are we defining as sports town? Spectator sports? That seems where this road takes us when this sort of question is posed. While Chicago isn't big on college sports, I can say unequivocally that Boston is the worst college sports area in the country. Nobody cares, even when UMass or BC are good in basketball and football. Duke comes to town to play BC on the hardwood. Clemson comes to town to play on the gridiron- you wouldn't even know it was happening if you weren't depending on a national sports outlet. Boston also has demonstrated that its TV ratings subside more drastically when a big event like the World Series etc... doesn't include a Boston team. And the Celtics? Some times you don't even know they exist in that town- never mind lean years, but even know when they are good, they seem forgotten about unless literally they are playing in the NBA Finals (such as about 9 years ago). My personal experience is that Boston fans are big on "rah-rah, go team", but have little/no expertise when it comes to the rest of the respective league. Sports talk radio? God is it awful in Boston- same talking point, same stupid soap opera stories rather than spending even a second on some big national sporting event that doesn't include a Boston pro team competing, even if it is occurring that day or the night before.
That tells me that Boston is provincial. Boston cares about College Sports they just don't care about colleges outside of New England. Sure the Iron Bowl doesn't make waves but Harvard-Yale does. Yes the Crosstown Shootout is irrelevant but UMass-Harvard or UMass-Boston College does get attention.

and no city compares to Boston when it comes to College Hockey.

Also the college competition with the largest crowds in the country is in Boston every year, The Head of the Charles

Old 12-03-2017, 03:08 PM

939 posts, read 505,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
How is that AAC Temple enthusiasm?
Villanova? Hello? In any event, its like picking among the lesser of all evils. None of the three qualify as "better", just less worse. Boston is horrendous. College hockey is a niche sport, but fair enough to the poster who brought that up. But major college football and basketball has almost no place at the roundtable in/around Boston. It even makes NY and Chicago look feel like Lexington, KY, or Tuscaloosa, AL in comparison.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:20 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Villanova? Hello? In any event, its like picking among the lesser of all evils. None of the three qualify as "better", just less worse. Boston is horrendous. College hockey is a niche sport, but fair enough to the poster who brought that up. But major college football and basketball has almost no place at the roundtable in/around Boston. It even makes NY and Chicago look feel like Lexington, KY, or Tuscaloosa, AL in comparison.
What's going on college wise in ny and Chicago? St. John's, Rutgers, Illinois, northwestern ?? Providence college has a passionate fan base 45 min south. None of these places are Kentucky. Still I personally am more of a pro sports fan. Rather watch highest level of talent.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
What's going on college wise in ny and Chicago? St. John's, Rutgers, Illinois, northwestern ?? Providence college has a passionate fan base 45 min south. None of these places are Kentucky. Still I personally am more of a pro sports fan. Rather watch highest level of talent.

Again I go back to the question itself. Are we talking winning teams? Or are we talking about fan loyalty? There were a lot of loyal Illini fans I recall even though over several eras, would be classified as just an "okay" program. There is a strong contingent of ND football fans also around Chicago, even if S. Bend is a good 90 minute drive. I actually thought about Providence College. I think they have always had a passionate base, but it has always been a real small passionate base. It seems the interest level has weened for the Friars thru the years, even in the intermediate years when they have had good teams. NY is no hotbed, but there is some what more general interest in the college sports teams- doesn't matter that its not necessarily the local colleges people are interested in.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:43 PM

17 posts, read 11,640 times
Chicago.....Every lounge and club is secretly a sports bar trying to be something other than a sports bar.....and every convo at work will manage to lead eventually talking about sports....You could be talk about your girlfriend problems and someone would ask who such and such athlete is dating.....You could be discussing moving into a specific neighborhood and how you hate packing amd someone will remind you that such and such athlete lives there or close by.....Not necessarily active people but they love to talk about and watch sports IN ANY SETTING.......Ppl in L.A are very much into being active and staying fit but they don't talk about sports as much....L.A people participate in sports than talking about it.....Chicagoans are hardcore sports fanatics to the point of annoyance....yet the participation is almost none.....and the point of annoyance is having sport memorabilia hanging on your office cubicle and drinking out of your favorite sport team coffee mug.....coming to work in sports team colors....or someone pulling out their wallet at a gas station and to find that their wallet is a sports team wallet......Sometimes it's just too much.....and the irony of it all is that most ppl in Chicago don't actually participate in sport....nah.....they just love to watch it on tv.....talk about it...and wear memorabilia from head to toe....lol

Old 12-03-2017, 04:15 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
College Hockey isn't niche in Boston, its mainstream.

Also the fact that Massachusetts has 6 Hockey East Teams, and most every of the 20 teams in New England play each other because there isn't a whole lot of OOC options, that means that people are not going to be fans of UMass or Boston College in any other sport because they are rivals in Hockey. Asking a BU alum to root for Boston College in anything would be like asking a Michigan fan to root for Ohio State. No team can get the critical mass to penetrate into mass media, but people care in their little bubbles.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
College Hockey isn't niche in Boston, its mainstream.
Disagree, but whatever; I still acknowledge the interest is enough that it one aspect Boston has going for it when it comes to the original question posed by the OP.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
Quote:
Disagree, but whatever; I still acknowledge the interest is enough that it one aspect Boston has going for it when it comes to the original question posed by the OP.
If college hockey in Boston gets 5,000 at BU and BC it's the same as the Big 5. UNH and UMass Lowell are also in the metro

Old 12-04-2017, 04:03 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
I'm sorry. I am a Chicagoan and, though i love my city, i recognize its faults. Chicago shouldn't be considered among the best sports cities, doesn't belomg on this list. How can Chicago be considered a great sports town when doesn't even have an NFL team!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City