Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the region that will become densely populated like the northeast:
Southeast 23 17.97%
South Central (Texas) 19 14.84%
Southwest 4 3.13%
West Coast (California) 52 40.63%
Pacific Northwest 12 9.38%
Mountain West 3 2.34%
Upper Midwest 22 17.19%
Lower Midwest 7 5.47%
No other region could 23 17.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

The northeastern U.S. has the highest population density of any region in the U.S. The top 7 most densely populated states in the U.S. are New Jersey, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware and New York in that order. The densest concentration of large cities are also in the northeast - Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. lie in a nearly straight line that is just 450 miles long.

So, what other U.S. region might we possibly witness becoming as densely populated as the northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
The area in LA and to a lessor extent Bay area is already to a smaller extent

Probably no other areas will on the scale and continuity though

Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The northeastern U.S. has the highest population density of any region in the U.S. The top 7 most densely populated states are New Jersey, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware and New York in that order. The densest concentration of large cities are also in the northeast - Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. lie in a nearly straight line that is 450 miles long.

So, what other U.S. region might we possibly witness becoming as densely populated as the northeast?
Coastal Florida?

Santa Barbara / Ventura / Oxnard / Los Angeles / San Diego / Tijuana is already close too but disjointed because of an air force base in the middle and being in two countries.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Coastal Florida?

Santa Barbara / Ventura / Oxnard / Los Angeles / San Diego / Tijuana is already close too but disjointed because of an air force base in the middle and being in two countries.
Sort of but would still be the size of Chicagoland - think it doesnt have the scale but is pretty well developed with a long range of continuity

Old 10-15-2012, 10:30 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Playing with Voltron so early , OP?

Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
What is south central texas??? Austin/San Antonio???

Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
So for everyone voting for California...

I have access to a tractor. We should all try to move the dirt off the mountains and redistribute it into the ocean to create more flat land and create a nice little island off the coast. I wonder how long it would take me to do that. I'll start with one hill.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in our lifetime, a company or corporation of some sort tries to alter the geographic landscape like that.

We should start off by paving over all of San Francisco Bay with concrete. Since people complain about the hills in San Mateo and Alameda Counties, we should push the dirt right into the Bay and build low income housing. This would have an awesome effect on the climate in the region, not to mention CA's water supply.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What is south central texas??? Austin/San Antonio???
I think the Houston or Dallas area would have a much better chance of achieving that than those two cities.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think the Houston or Dallas area would have a much better chance of achieving that than those two cities.

Well Austin and SA are smaller combined than either but much closer (at least in TX distance at about 80 or so miles) but for perspective nearly the whole population of todays TX would fit in that space if you take the NYC and Philly metros and that excludes the next sets either to the north or south far closer and much greater continuity etc.

The issue in TX is the vast nothingness in between I dont see this area ever really growing together cohesively the metros may infill but the region will still have some pretty big gaps in between

Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
My answers were based primarily on where natural resources and RAIN (and the vegetation that comes with rain) fall, as well as the Pacific Rim. The first makes sense to me and I could back it up, but the 2nd region (West Coast) does not make sense to me, yet it continues to be white hot and fast-growing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City