Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area would be best for me?
Boston 16 59.26%
Orlando 8 29.63%
Neither; stay in CT 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:45 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,427,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I don't think you should move anytime soon until you really figure out where you want to move. Within a week and a half, you created threads stating you were moving to Phoenix for sure, then Orlando for sure, and now Boston is somehow in the mix even though you've mentioned you hate cold weather.

I'm not trying to criticize you, just saying you really should take the time to figure out where you want to be before you make a decision on the whim and regret your move greatly.
I second that. With all respect, it seems like the OP doesn't know where to move. He was all set on Phoenix, and then started looking into Orlando and San Diego. And now Boston is in there.

OP, it sounds like you are at the beginning of your city search, and not in the final stages of it. I've been there. I would just take a real hard look at where you really do want to move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:12 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I second that. With all respect, it seems like the OP doesn't know where to move. He was all set on Phoenix, and then started looking into Orlando and San Diego. And now Boston is in there.

OP, it sounds like you are at the beginning of your city search, and not in the final stages of it. I've been there. I would just take a real hard look at where you really do want to move to.
No, I'm actually in the very final stages of my city search. It's something I've been thinking about for 4 years now. I ruled out anything in the western half of the U.S. because it would require a lot of travel time to come visit family in CT. i dont want to spend 12 hours a day flying, waiting in layovers, etc. I'd have to waste a vacation day on that and that would be awful. So, I am limiting my search to the east coast. I don't want to live in a red state, so as far as the south goes, that only leaves FL. I want to live in a large gay population city that isn't excessively populated with hispanics, which leaves Orlando. The only reason Boston is in the mix is because it's driveable to my family and strong with the job market. However, it fails bigtime with my warm weather all-year-round criterium, as well as lower cost of living. I've been to Boston plenty of times enough to know what it feels like. It's a nice city, but too expensive, too cold and too urban for me. I've only driven through Orlando before and gone to Disney, but that's about it. So next week I'll be down there actually checking it out as much as I can before making a decision. If it's as bad as everyone on this forum says, then I'll probably forget about it and just settle for Boston or something else. Orlando seems to offer much of what I'm looking for, except for a significant educated population and a strong job market. But you know, there's always going to be negatives about living anywhere.

I'm actually surprised at the poll results in this thread. People are overwhelmingly voting for Boston, even though I hate cold weather, urban landscape and high cost of living. So why are most people voting for it?? I think people are just voting for what THEY would prefer, even if it's not best for ME.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 PM

342 posts, read 571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am currently living near Hartford, CT and interested in leaving for a new metro area. I'm a 28 year old gay white male. After years of thinking and exploring various cities across the country, I now have it reduced down to just two cities. Boston and Orlando. I'm having a hard time deciding, so I need your help. I have been to both of them; most recently Boston and will be visiting Orlando next week to check it out. So here is a list of what I like, dislike and want in a place...
  • The only season I like is summer; I really can't stand cold weather for extended periods of time.in Orlando its summer all year, they win that one
  • I have a master's degree in accounting and need access to good job opportunities.boston is a financial hub and is close-ish proximity to new york city
  • I want an area with a large, rather young (ages 25-35) gay population.i'm pretty sure Boston has one of the 5 largest gay populations in the us. not sure about Orlando
  • Prefer to live in a safe, middle class or affluent area, with other educated people.Bostonians are typically well educated, plus orlando is old people galor.
  • Need a reasonable cost of living; one of my goals is to purchase a starter home within the next couple of years. Boston has a very high cost of living, i think its second after nyc in the us(it can cost 8$ for a hot dog here ). orlando is in florida its generally cheaper down there
  • Prefer a suburban style city over an urban style city; I love driving a car everywhere.Boston proper is not very good to drive in but the suburbs absolutely require a car. Orlando wins here though as it wasn't a city before the car came along so it developed around the car.
  • I love the outdoors and enjoy things like hiking, beach, etc. i say its a tie as orlandos close to floridas beaches but bostons close to northern new englands mountains
  • I prefer a moderate or slow paced lifestyle.???
  • I'm an independent politically, but lean liberal.Boston
So which metro area do you think suits me better?

Thanks
opinions above in BOLD

Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
opinions above in BOLD
Actually, there's about the same amount of young people (aged 25-34) in both cities, with the slight edge going to Orlando. According to the U.S. Census Bureau 2010, Boston's population in this age group constitutes 20.6% of the cities' population. For Orlando, the figure is 20.8%. So although it may be true that Orlando has tons of old people, it's still much higher than the national average, which is 13.2%.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,427,706 times
Quote:
No, I'm actually in the very final stages of my city search. It's something I've been thinking about for 4 years now. I ruled out anything in the western half of the U.S. because it would require a lot of travel time to come visit family in CT. i dont want to spend 12 hours a day flying, waiting in layovers, etc. I'd have to waste a vacation day on that and that would be awful. So, I am limiting my search to the east coast. I don't want to live in a red state, so as far as the south goes, that only leaves FL. I want to live in a large gay population city that isn't excessively populated with hispanics, which leaves Orlando. The only reason Boston is in the mix is because it's driveable to my family and strong with the job market. However, it fails bigtime with my warm weather all-year-round criterium, as well as lower cost of living. I've been to Boston plenty of times enough to know what it feels like. It's a nice city, but too expensive, too cold and too urban for me. I've only driven through Orlando before and gone to Disney, but that's about it. So next week I'll be down there actually checking it out as much as I can before making a decision. If it's as bad as everyone on this forum says, then I'll probably forget about it and just settle for Boston or something else. Orlando seems to offer much of what I'm looking for, except for a significant educated population and a strong job market. But you know, there's always going to be negatives about living anywhere.

I'm actually surprised at the poll results in this thread. People are overwhelmingly voting for Boston, even though I hate cold weather, urban landscape and high cost of living. So why are most people voting for it?? I think people are just voting for what THEY would prefer, even if it's not best for ME.
Well, if you hate cold weather/urban/high COL then you aren't going to like Boston very much. Somewhere you are going to have to make a compromise. Is Orlando your only other choice?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:28 PM

6,817 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Quote:
People are overwhelmingly voting for Boston, even though I hate cold weather, urban landscape and high cost of living. So why are most people voting for it?? I think people are just voting for what THEY would prefer, even if it's not best for ME.
Quote:
The only reason Boston is in the mix is because it's driveable to my family and strong with the job market. However, it fails bigtime with my warm weather all-year-round criterium, as well as lower cost of living. I've been to Boston plenty of times enough to know what it feels like. It's a nice city, but too expensive, too cold and too urban for me.
Quote:
Actually, there's about the same amount of young people (aged 25-34) in both cities, with the slight edge going to Orlando. According to the U.S. Census Bureau 2010, Boston's population in this age group constitutes 20.6% of the cities' population. For Orlando, the figure is 20.8%. So although it may be true that Orlando has tons of old people, it's still much higher than the national average, which is 13.2%.
If Orlando's what you want, then go for it. Although its job market, gay population, and educated population may not be quite as good/large as Boston's, I'm sure it has those things. And its the only one of the two that meets your warm, suburban, cheap, and slow paced requiements. Why even ask for opinions if you've already chosen? /

I will say, however, that I don't think that you should base your choice on the political aspect of the area, unless its REALLY important to you to be in a majorily democratic state. Like the amount of educated people in Orlando vs Boston, I'm sure you'd be able to find liberals in the other parts of the south. There are a lot of other good areas that I think would fit your criteria except for being in a blue state, personally I like Charlotte and Atlanta, and I hear DC's nice, though maybe too urban...however I actually don't know much about their gay populations....

Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Well, if you hate cold weather/urban/high COL then you aren't going to like Boston very much. Somewhere you are going to have to make a compromise. Is Orlando your only other choice?
Yes, pretty much. I can't think of any other large metros that are warm all year round, have a low COL, a large gay population, car dependent, non-conservative politics, not where whites are a minority, and are within a 3 hour plane flight to Hartford. Based on internet gay dating websites I've looked at, Orlando seems to have about a 33% larger gay population than Boston, too. And some people say that Orlando lacks affluence, which is true, but the same thing is true for Boston proper. There are many neighborhoods in Boston that are sketchy (i.e. Dorchester, Jamaica Plains, etc.) and should be avoided as well. Heck, every city is like that, including Hartford.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
If Orlando's what you want, then go for it. Although its job market, gay population, and educated population may not be quite as good/large as Boston's, I'm sure it has those things. And its the only one of the two that meets your warm, suburban, cheap, and slow paced requiements. Why even ask for opinions if you've already chosen? /

I will say, however, that I don't think that you should base your choice on the political aspect of the area, unless its REALLY important to you to be in a majorily democratic state. Like the amount of educated people in Orlando vs Boston, I'm sure you'd be able to find liberals in the other parts of the south. There are a lot of other good areas that I think would fit your criteria except for being in a blue state, personally I like Charlotte and Atlanta, and I hear DC's nice, though maybe too urban...however I actually don't know much about their gay populations....
Nah, the politics of a place isn't a make or break aspect. After all, we should be able to voice our opinions anywhere, right?

Anyway, I have also been to Atlanta several times. Yes, I think it's a great city overall and I think the job market is better off there than Orlando. The only thing with it is that I would feel like a minority, with the gay population there being only 20% white. And there are still significantly more white gays in Orlando than ATL. As an aside, the traffic in ATL is insane at all times of the day and night. Even at 11 PM, everywhere you look on the highway, you see cars everywhere. I can't imagine the traffic in Orlando being worse. Plus, I found ATL to have a slightly southern vibe, which, coming from New England, is a big thing to have to get used to lol. Florida people seem to be more similar to New Englanders than ATL people, so it would probably be an easier transition, socially.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
... I'm actually surprised at the poll results in this thread. People are overwhelmingly voting for Boston, even though I hate cold weather, urban landscape and high cost of living. So why are most people voting for it?? I think people are just voting for what THEY would prefer, even if it's not best for ME.
WOW. Just wow. Someone with your attitude isn't likely to be happy anywhere, bud. I'm sorry I wasted my time.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
Quote:
Yes, pretty much. I can't think of any other large metros that are warm all year round, have a low COL, a large gay population, car dependent, non-conservative politics, not where whites are a minority, and are within a 3 hour plane flight to Hartford. Based on internet gay dating websites I've looked at, Orlando seems to have about a 33% larger gay population than Boston, too. And some people say that Orlando lacks affluence, which is true, but the same thing is true for Boston proper. There are many neighborhoods in Boston that are sketchy (i.e. Dorchester, Jamaica Plains, etc.) and should be avoided as well. Heck, every city is like that, including Hartford.
Based on these comments, you know very little about the so called sketchy neighborhoods of Boston. Yes Dorchester has its rough parts, but it's also experiencing some gentrification and it has become quite popular for the gay population. Boston is very gay friendly and is well known for being gay friendly. You also have Provincetown close by which is very gay friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City