Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:19 AM

6 posts, read 13,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
^interesting
Chicago does seem like it has more space, even the city itself
Are Chicago burbs also much cheaper than Northern NJ? By how much would yall say, like 30, 40%?
Make sure you consider taxes too in your equation- Illinois income tax is 5%(set to go back to 4% after 4 years). NJ State Income taxes is 6.37% whereas the highest marginal city/state income tax rate in NYC is 12.696%. Also- real estate taxes in both areas can be brutal.

But all in all- it is a different rent market. You can find a small bungalow in Chicago burbs for what an apartment in Jersey/NYC will run you. So it comes down to preferences- how much space do you need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:00 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,929,908 times
The OP is not looking to move, from what I can tell. I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of this thread.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,637,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
The OP is not looking to move, from what I can tell. I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of this thread.
actually i mite be lookin to move, but u cant decide to move b4 knowing the basics such as COL, if ur a normal person

Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ildiavolo View Post
Make sure you consider taxes too in your equation- Illinois income tax is 5%(set to go back to 4% after 4 years). NJ State Income taxes is 6.37% whereas the highest marginal city/state income tax rate in NYC is 12.696%. Also- real estate taxes in both areas can be brutal.

But all in all- it is a different rent market. You can find a small bungalow in Chicago burbs for what an apartment in Jersey/NYC will run you. So it comes down to preferences- how much space do you need?
i prolly dont need too much space at this point, but i wan have a decent size apt or townhouse, def not a shoebox
is it accurate to say that chi salaries for most people are the same as here?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,364,906 times
Default Not true at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Chicago is FAR cheaper. The midwest location devalues it to an extent. An English country manor on Chicago's north shore (2-3 mil.) will get you a MUCH smaller house in, say, Bronxville. There's that derisive old saying: Midwest rich is East Coast upper-middle class.
This is far from true. Go to Trulia.com, go to Hinsdale, IL, under BUY, or go to Winnetka, IL under BUY, go from highest to lowest; you get more for your money than in Bronxville, NY or similar suburbs in Westchester or northern NJ. Chicago is very diversified and the towns go across the gamut, the higher end areas of Chicago are quite expensive. P.S.. To those of you on the east coast, keep safe and out of harms way.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 PM

more?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,364,906 times
Default To answer your question

Quote:
more?
Here is more, to be specific. I hope that you were safe with Sandy, and out of harms way. Bronxville, unlike your claim, is not more expensive than some areas of Chicago. Here are two suburbs, for example, using Trulia.com as a source for the most recent stats. One is on the north shore ( Winnetka ) and one in the west suburbs (Hinsdale) and both are good sized towns, not neighborhoods.

Average price on market Highest home on market #of houses on market over $3M

Bronxville, NY $609,000 $6,250,000 7
Hinsdale, IL $1,368,606 $6,750,000 19
Winnetka,IL $2,182,418 $27,000,000 24

The reason the average is lower in Chicago is the low end is lower. But many transferrees to Chicago who choose to move there get a surprise at the unaffordability of certain areas of town, even though the average overall is less. In outlying areas, you get alot for your money, but the key is location. In many suburbs, the tear down trend drove the prices up in well located areas. So the answer to your question is yes, more expensive. Try playing with trulia, a great tool for wanted to know re values.

Our hopes and prayers are with all of you in the NY area.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 AM

i never said anyth bout bronxville, im talkin bout overall, i cant really play with anyth cuz i dont kno the area
and why we comparing bronxville exactly, the rich hoods comparison is not accurate cuz most people don't live there, nyc area has a ton of rich hoods, but it doesnt make my life any better

Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,319,113 times
Default Good question...

Quote:
How much cheaper is Chicago compared to NYC? I see diff figures. Discussing cities and their suburbs, particularly interested in how Northern NJ compares to Chi burbs. While some salaries can be higher in the NYC area, most are not significantly higher to cover the premium COL. While I understand why NYC is very expensive, what's more interesting to me is that why Chi is cheaper than all the other comparable American cities. What are the reasons of its affordability, besides harsher weather and non coastal location?
Why is Chicago so affordable?

It is humanly impossible to walk through Chicago's core and not consider it one of the world's great cities unless you are inwardly angry at the place for somehow threatening or robbing your hometown of its vitality or integrity.

sourceid=ie7&q=It+is+humanly+impossible+to+walk+th rough+Chicago
%27s+core+and+not+consider+it+one+of+the+world%27s +great+cities+unless+you+are+inwardly+
angry+at+the+place+for+somehow+threatening+or+robb ing+your+hometown+of+its+vitality+or+integrity.
&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSNB_enUS360US360

http://www.google.com/search?

Why is Chicago so affordable? - SkyscraperCity

Right in the Middle: The Midwest

The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest | Newgeography.com

Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM

interesting^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City