Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More desirable metropolis for you?
NY Tri-State Area 45 64.29%
SF Bay Area 25 35.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
uhhh yeah....there are places on their Bay Area map that are 80%+ white that are colored as "diverse" haha.
lol...here are their criteria:

Definitions:

Predominantly non-white: Municipalities with more than
60% of the population non-white in 2010 and more
than 10% of land urban.

Diverse: Municipalities with non-white shares between
20% and 60% in 2010 and more than 10% of land urban.

Predominantly white: Municipalities with white shares
greater than 80% in 2010 and more than 10% of land
urban.

Exurbs: Municipalities with less than 10% of total land area
urban (by Census definition of urban) in 2000.

20-60 is a HUGE spread. LOL. Guess in some places 20% is considered very diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
What about diversity outside of race? Most charts of this only do "race" save for the odd-man-out category of Hispanic (which maybe those graphs you posted do).

Anyhow, the difference between the two areas aren't that severe along racial lines. One is simply much bigger so has much more than the other in everything and has much more clout than the other in a larger number of fields. I understand personal preference for the Bay Area. On the less subjective side of things, the Tri-State is the far more powerful and influential metro.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What about diversity outside of race? Most charts of this only do "race" save for the odd-man-out category of Hispanic (which maybe those graphs you posted do).

Anyhow, the difference between the two areas aren't that severe along racial lines. One is simply much bigger so has much more than the other in everything and has much more clout than the other in a larger number of fields. I understand personal preference for the Bay Area. On the less subjective side of things, the Tri-State is the far more powerful and influential metro.
You keep repeating this, why? I don't recall anyone saying otherwise.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:10 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, but I personally wounldnt consider a place is integrated if its not diverse as well. Meaning just because a suburb is 10-15 percent minority and those minorities live amongst White people, that's not out of the ordinary if that minority doesnt have an established community in that area where they are a majority, I mean where else will they live? Especially if its a newer town or exurb or satellite city.

Anyway, here are some interesting maps from the University of Minnesota. To me their criteria are far too lenient but maps are cool to look at:

It appears according to a quick look at the UM link that San Jose is the only Major MSA in the nation that has no places that is predominantly White.
It isn't that there isn't diversity in Orange or Dutchess Counties, but the volume may vary within those counties and in volume in comparison to Bay Area counties. Both counties have long time Black communities and have had a notable presence of Hispanics and Asians for at least a few decades. This doesn't get into the diversity within each group as well. Cities like Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, Middletown and Beacon have a high volume of diversity in that metro and just about every school district has at least a notable amount of Black and Hispanic students, with the same for Asians in some districts. Here is demographic information for some of the HS's in that area: Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Poughkeepsie High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Spackenkill High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Beacon High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Newburgh Free Academy-main Campus

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Middletown High School

Old 11-02-2012, 02:55 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
Quote:
I think the important point is that being in the tri-state area isn't necessarily causing the socioeconomic diversity--it's only that there continue to be substantial employment and general supporting infrastructure which allow for continuing immigration of working class people rather than just the wealthy.

I also feel that NYC has rampantly on the street level has an incredible amount of things going on in what would be called the shadow economy. This isn't necessarily the obvious stuff of prostitution and drug dealing (though that of course exists), but in things like the huge number of counterfeit luxury consumer goods that get smuggled in and sold on Canal St in a strange relationship between recent Mainland China immigrants from parts of Fujian or Guangdong province and immigrants from both Francophone and Anglophone West African nations, the gigantic service/tourism industry with nightlife going up to 4 am with tips not counted and many businesses asking for cash only, the different ethnic communities livery services which aren't necessarily operating under the official Taxi and Limo Commission, the giant freelance network for various sorts of creative gigs that pay under the table, and a whole slew of other things. It's sort of amazing how this place runs.
It's just that.

NYC's been an immigrant hub for generations not only for wealthy immigrants that want a suitable launch pad for their businesses but also the less educated immigrants that come to the US for their stake in the American dream. NY/NJ/CT clearly has a larger white collar population than all of the bay area thanks to the massive population gap but it also has a larger blue collar/manufacturing population than the bay area. After all I think the Tristate area is the 4th largest manufacturing center in the US behind LA, Chicago, and Houston. We have the much larger port compared to the bay area. These are significant industries that keep our economy more diverse than that of the bay area and it gives more opportunities to people of all socioeconomic backgrounds to coexist in this area.

I'm not saying poverty is a good thing, it's not but it exists in the real world in every country and it exists in the Tristate area too along side wealth and the middle income. Other than a few pockets in the east bay, I'm not convinced that the bay area has this diaspora of socioeconomic diversity. It's not a good thing or bad thing, it just is. Bay areas done a great job at increasing its education and wages though.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Diversity outside of race is also important, sexual preference, religion, culture can open up race a lot. Mots of the country, white is pretty "american" but around NYC white can me a whole host of things.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
You keep repeating this, why? I don't recall anyone saying otherwise.
Because it seems to be a point of terrible concern for some people depending on which horses are in the running.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
Because it seems to be a point of terrible concern for some people depending on which horses are in the running.
I really don't see anyone too concerned about NY being a more powerful and influential metro or it being so much larger, except you of course. Kind of stating the obvious here, repeatedly too.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
I didn't know being white was a bad thing and then I joined C-D.

I don't judge people off of their race or ethnicity but instead their intentions and personality. Your stats won't show that.

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 11-02-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I really don't see anyone too concerned about NY being a more powerful and influential metro or it being so much larger, except you of course. Kind of stating the obvious here, repeatedly too.
Of course being more powerful or influential is no longer important in this topic, that's obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City