Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More desirable metropolis for you?
NY Tri-State Area 45 64.29%
SF Bay Area 25 35.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM

36,695 posts, read 67,725,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Diverse or balanced and integrated? I got what you meant though. here's some rough information: US2010

US2010
Yeah, that is great info. Im not saying its a landslide, but as far as suburbia in particular, minorities in the Bay Area have penetrated outlying areas to a much higher degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,892,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, that is great info. Im not saying its a landslide, but as far as suburbia in particular, minorities in the Bay Area have penetrated outlying areas to a much higher degree.
Are Jews a "minority?"

And I don't really see "escaping to the suburbs" as such a good thing. Especially when the central city does not have many working class neighborhoods for minorities to live in.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 AM

37,309 posts, read 39,712,890 times
Quote:
It definitely started happening in the Bay Area first, but the last decade had the tri-state area entering a similar phase. The other part of it is that urban areas are often the first landing point of immigrants and the tri-state area has multiple smaller, but very urban areas (newark, new haven, bridge, new rochelle, etc.).

And while I understand the positive aspect you're highlighting is integration in the suburbs, I think fleeing to suburbia in general is mostly an awful trend.

Another thing is that, as has been mentioned before, the broad categories of white, hispanic, black, and possibly asian are likely more internally diverse than that of the Bay Area.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,892,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
And while I understand the positive aspect you're highlighting is integration in the suburbs, I think fleeing to suburbia in general is mostly an awful trend.
His assumption is that minorities in the suburbs are better off than minorities in cities. That's not necessarily the case.

Quote:
Another thing is that, as has been mentioned before, the broad categories of white, hispanic, black, and possibly asian are likely more internally diverse than that of the Bay Area.
A Jewish immigrant from the Ukraine is not the same as any ordinary "white." And immigrants from Panama aren't exactly the same as blacks from the American South.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 AM

5,871 posts, read 15,279,974 times
I simply like the look and feel of the bay area more. Lived in the tri-state area before and have no desire to live there again. Fun to visit though.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
His assumption is that minorities in the suburbs are better off than minorities in cities. That's not necessarily the case.

A Jewish immigrant from the Ukraine is not the same as any ordinary "white." And immigrants from Panama aren't exactly the same as blacks from the American South.
Right, that's what I mean. NYC has a lot of African (and from various regions of Africa), West Indian, and Haitian migrants who would count as black, but this isn't the same culture as African-American. The large number of Israeli, Balkan, Eastern European, North African and Middle Eastern recent arrivals would all count as white, but this isn't the same as the white American culture as we know it. Hispanic would include a pretty diverse array of people from various parts of Latin America (who themselves have different origins) without a strong plurality of any particular group (unless you count all latin caribbean as one group, but you'd get a plurality not a majority still).

The other part to ask is how socioeconomically diverse these immigrants are. Does the Bay Area due to its affluence have a selection bias towards the more affluent? Is it greater social mobility or is it selection bias?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,048,062 times
Quote:

Not totally sure but would say the Bay skews this way for the burbs and NYC skews this way for the city. Is one better than another, not sure really

Quote:
Well, if we're talking tri-state area, this should go in that topic.

Also by 2010 census (most reliable figures)

Bay Area CSA population: 7.46 million
SF: 0.80 million
SJ: 0.95 million
Oakland: 0.39 million
SF+SJ+Oak: 2.14 million
SF+SJ+Oak as percentage of CSA: 28.16%

New York CSA population: 22.09 million
NYC: 8.24 million
NYC as percentage of CSA: 37.30%

So in a single city as compared to three cities in separate parts of the Bay Area, NYC has a significantly larger share of the CSA's population as a percentage. Wouldn't you then expect NYC to also have a significantly larger share of the foreign-born population? Not that I think this is particularly good measure of anything, but just that this should be accounted for. The other thing to put in is that Puerto Ricans (a very large component of NYC and the CSA's demographics) are not considered foreign-born even though there are some arguably large cultural differences. Whether or not Puerto Rican-born people of the tri-state area are more or less centrally located in NYC, I don't know.

or this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
so to this post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/26741715-post837.html

The percentages when viewed as a percentage of the Cities are really not all that different

NYC represents 37.1% of the population and the combined SF/Oakland/SJ represent 28.8% of their repective areas

So if the distributions are taken into account the Bay skews a little more minority in the burbs and NYC skews a little more minority in the city

Not sure how this has a huge impact. Both are very diverse on many aspects

Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler
Yes I understand the pitfalls of sprawl and whatnot, but the TriState Area appears to have much larger swaths of areas dominated by Whites whereas the Bay Area, not so much.

Maps are To Scale.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM

And then there's this interesting stat from a report that recently came out from Brown University:
http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

12 of the 25 most racially diverse places in the US are in Northern California. I am convinced that this is a result of high cost of living in the inner Bay Area.

3 MSAs that are all adjoined are the 3 most diverse in the nation.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Yes I understand the pitfalls of sprawl and whatnot, but the TriState Area appears to have much larger swaths of areas dominated by Whites whereas the Bay Area, not so much.

Maps are To Scale.
Are those areas including or not including White Hispanic?

Also, can you overlay that over satellite imagery? I'm wondering how densely developed the various areas are in conjunction with this data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City