Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

For all kinds of food...it's a personal ranking so don't go by Michellin stars or whatnot.

I haven't been to some of these cities but it's what I'd imagine I'd like:

1. New York City - the sheer diversity, Italian (Italian American) food. The delis and Middle Eastern food cart. Best place for great Latin American food.

2. Houston - While not a fan of the city, it probably has a great mix of Tex-Mex, Southern/Soul, fast food and decent Vietnamese.

3. New Orleans - Creole/Cajun delights, po-boys, great seafood, great southern food, surprisingly good Italian. Emphasis on quality across the board.

4. San Francisco - fresh produce, organic, seafood, good quality/range of Asian

5. Santa Fe - Love NM style Mexican, enough said.

6. Boston - Love clam chowder and other New England dishes. Also great Italian food.

7. Chicago - Hard to beat for hot dogs, fast food, deep dish, Polish/German foods like sauerkraut.etc.

8. Memphis - The home of great Southern food.

9. Los Angeles - Best Japanese food along with Seattle, also great cheap Mexican, diverse range, from Ethiopian to Ukrainian food.

10. Washington DC - Very diverse range, great southern and northeastern fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
For all kinds of food...it's a personal ranking so don't go by Michellin stars or whatnot.

I haven't been to some of these cities but it's what I'd imagine I'd like:

1. New York City - the sheer diversity, Italian (Italian American) food. The delis and Middle Eastern food cart. Best place for great Latin American food.

2. Houston - While not a fan of the city, it probably has a great mix of Tex-Mex, Southern/Soul, fast food and decent Vietnamese.

3. New Orleans - Creole/Cajun delights, po-boys, great seafood, great southern food, surprisingly good Italian. Emphasis on quality across the board.

4. San Francisco - fresh produce, organic, seafood, good quality/range of Asian

5. Santa Fe - Love NM style Mexican, enough said.

6. Boston - Love clam chowder and other New England dishes. Also great Italian food.

7. Chicago - Hard to beat for hot dogs, fast food, deep dish, Polish/German foods like sauerkraut.etc.

8. Memphis - The home of great Southern food.

9. Los Angeles - Best Japanese food along with Seattle, also great cheap Mexican, diverse range, from Ethiopian to Ukrainian food.

10. Washington DC - Very diverse range, great southern and northeastern fare.
I thought you had ever been to Chicago?

Placing Chicago and LA after Houston, Santa Fe, and Boston is a joke. Shows you haven't been to those places.

Last edited by Chicagoist123; 11-04-2012 at 06:45 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,720 times
From cities I have actually BEEN to:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. SF
4. LA
5. Miami
6. Houston
7. San Diego
8. Memphis
9. Boston.
10. DC

Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
nyc
chicago
new orleans
atlanta
philly
cincinnati

Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
My top 10 in no particular order:

Los Angeles
San Francisco
New York
Seattle
Chicago
New Orleans
Houston
Boston
Philadelphia
Miami

Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,612 times
Mine are...

SF
NYC
Chicago
LA
New Orleans
Las Vegas
Seattle
Boston
Portland, OR
KC

Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Mine would be:

NYC
SF
Chicago
Vancouver, BC
New Orleans
---------------
LA
Miami
Boston
DC
Philadelphia

The two different tiers are in no particular order. I could also see replacing DC with either Houston or Austin, but those were the cities that came to my mind first when I think "Damn, I've had really good food there..."

Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Based on where I've been:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. SF
4. LA
5. DC
6. NO
7. Philly
8. Miami
9. San Diego
10. Tie: Minneapolis/Pittsburgh

I'm kinda going with, "Does this city have an example of a cuisine(s) that are better than other cities/is there something unique I can get here that I can't get elsewhere?"

I hear a lot of good comments about Houston, but I must've missed those places and while a huge fan of central/southern Mexican, not so much a TexMex fan. Never had a meal in Dallas where I thought, "Hmm, this is as good as it gets." Never been to Portland and only spent 2 days in Seattle, eating crap thanks to my host client. I lived in Boston for 2 years and tried to find a place on this list, but my two favorite places are closed and I found the high-end places really overhyped for what they delivered. They're probably #12 though because of dim sum and having one of my favorite sandwiches.

And yeah, I imagine folks are thinking, "Pittsburgh?". Trust me, in the last 5 years the place has come around big time.

Last edited by sskink; 11-04-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
Not really in order:
Los Angeles
New York
Chicago
San Francisco (including Oakland/Berkeley)
Houston (by reputation)
Seattle
Philadelphia
Portland
New Orleans
Washington

Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Boston: North End is the best Little Italy(anitpasto salad at Al Dente, or the pastries stuffed with spinach & ricotta), coal fired pizza at Angelos, the neighborhood Brazilian Churrasco grills, great seafood (even better in smaller towns in the North Shore suburbs), I miss Maine lobster rolls and steamed cleams.

Maui: All the fresh fruit and garden fresh veggies, Mahi Mahi, breakfast in Kihei with a crabmeat omelette and banana/coconut pancakes with coconut syryp. Pulled pork from an unearthed pig at the imu pit served with a Mai Tai. Love it!

Santa Fe: I love New Mexican food, hot red and green chiles, sopapillas, carne adovado, and the best margharitas. Breakfast at the Old House with blue corn and pinon nut pancakes drizzled in honey with apricots....mmmm.

Alaska (in various towns): Nothing tops the freshly caught fish or shrimp from cold Alaskan waters, or breakfast with a reindeer sausage omelette.

Seattle: for Thai (unbelievable selection of it), Seafood, and all the wonderful produce at Pike Market, and the best coffee shops in the country.

Philadelphia: Good Italian food, even had great Mexican here one time, love the cheesesteaks

Montreal: Ate at a restaurant here that served delicious varfiation of duck, good bagels, even a a great Little Italy, and love the cafes/bakeries

Chicago: In my 20's partied here until lat call at 5 AM, then the 24 hour burrito and breakfast joints were great. I actually really like Chicago style pizza too at Ginos East

San Antonio/Austin: Had some of the best steak, bbq, and huevos rancheros in this part of Texas.

San Francisco: I love the food in Chinatown, & I remember eating well with creative culinary delights in many neighborhood joints for not a lot of money.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-04-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City