Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,339 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of looking for a change of lifestyle, family life, career change and repositioning demographics.
I currently live in Hawaii...now you make think, "Hawaii why would you want to move from Paradise" ?
The answer is Clear! This is a beautiful place to visit!!!! Horrible place to live...The average home to purchase is over $1 million and the traffic here is horrible the worst in the U.S.

Now, I am teetering bewteen transfering to Boise, ID where the Air Quality is better than Flagstaff, and the price of Home ownership is much lower ( $160K for the Average Sales of a home). Air quality is 7.3 out of 10.0 Better to breathe than many other places.

Now, in Flagstaff, AZ its extremely beautiful there...I have lived in NE Arizona and have fought Wild Fires in the mountainous areas in Flagstaff. The problem I am facing between the two cities is...there isn't too much comparison. In Flagstaff the average price of home ownership is $222K a difference of $62K The air quality is lower not as good as Boise, ID 6.3 out of 10.0

Maybe I could get some insight as to Why you think Flagstaff is better or Boise and Why you feel that way!

Do you feel landlocked in Flagstaff ?

Last edited by observer53; 11-05-2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: removed broken links-- new posters cannot post active links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
It depends on what you're looking for. Boise is a much larger place than Flagstaff, with the good and bad things that come with that. IF you're seeking a career change, it would be much easier to do in Boise than in Flagstaff. Jobs in Flagstaff can be hard to come by in certain industries.

Scenery and climate wise, Flagstaff is greener, colder, and snowier. Boise is at the foot of mountains, but is still largely arid in nature.

Boise is the largest city and capital of Idaho... Whereas in Flagstaff you'll be heading down to Phoenix for a number of things, from time to time. Certain medical care, stores, etc.

I've never noticed bad air quality during the time I lived in Flagstaff, but it is very high in elevation and requires some adjustment if you're trying to do any physical activity. I've never felt "landlocked" there, but I've always lived inland and in the mountains. It's what I'm used to. There are lots of interesting places to visit within a days drive of Flagstaff.

You say you've lived in NE Arizona, so I assume you've been to Flagstaff. Have you ever been to Boise? If you haven't, and are able, a trip would be in order. They are both great places, but not very similar.

Last edited by CodyW; 11-04-2012 at 08:07 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Cody pretty much nailed it, really need to visit both to appreciate the differences. Boise seems windier to me and the snow drifting that comes with it.
If you are still into wildland fire related things a visit to the fire center in Boise is in order and take a walk on the Firefighter memorial path with all of the bricks. Stop in Prineville Oregon and visit there if you drive North to evaluate.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoLuv View Post
I am in the process of looking for a change of lifestyle, family life, career change and repositioning demographics.
I currently live in Hawaii...now you make think, "Hawaii why would you want to move from Paradise" ?
The answer is Clear! This is a beautiful place to visit!!!! Horrible place to live...The average home to purchase is over $1 million and the traffic here is horrible the worst in the U.S.

Now, I am teetering bewteen transfering to Boise, ID where the Air Quality is better than Flagstaff, and the price of Home ownership is much lower ( $160K for the Average Sales of a home). Air quality is 7.3 out of 10.0 Better to breathe than many other places.

Now, in Flagstaff, AZ its extremely beautiful there...I have lived in NE Arizona and have fought Wild Fires in the mountainous areas in Flagstaff. The problem I am facing between the two cities is...there isn't too much comparison. In Flagstaff the average price of home ownership is $222K a difference of $62K The air quality is lower not as good as Boise, ID 6.3 out of 10.0

Maybe I could get some insight as to Why you think Flagstaff is better or Boise and Why you feel that way!

Do you feel landlocked in Flagstaff ?
Flag is closer to the Pacific than Boise. Both places have many rivers and lakes nearby, curb your ocean addiction.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Flag is closer to the Pacific than Boise. Both places have many rivers and lakes nearby, curb your ocean addiction.
Only just. It's about seven and a half hours to the coast in Los Angeles, from Flagstaff. This depends on traffic. Boise is about 8 hours from the Oregon coast, with a much more rural and scenic drive.

If you're into the outdoors, Boise is a very good jumping off point. It's at the foot of a SPECTACULAR mountain range, and is much closer to places like Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. It is quite a bit more isolated if you're seeking other cities for day trips. The closest major cities are Portland and Salt Lake City, both of which are a little too far for a day trip.

Flagstaff on the other hand is two hours from Phoenix, four hours from Tucson, five hours from Vegas, and so on.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Only just. It's about seven and a half hours to the coast in Los Angeles, from Flagstaff. This depends on traffic. Boise is about 8 hours from the Oregon coast, with a much more rural and scenic drive.

If you're into the outdoors, Boise is a very good jumping off point. It's at the foot of a SPECTACULAR mountain range, and is much closer to places like Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. It is quite a bit more isolated if you're seeking other cities for day trips. The closest major cities are Portland and Salt Lake City, both of which are a little too far for a day trip.

Flagstaff on the other hand is two hours from Phoenix, four hours from Tucson, five hours from Vegas, and so on.
I was thinking in Phoenixese, we can hit ocean in 3 hours at Rocky Point, 5 1/2 to LA. I guess you gotta tack on 2 hours for Flag.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Yes. Flagstaff is quite a bit further away from the California cities than Phoenix is. It is slightly farther east than Phoenix, in addition to being farther north.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get out of this thread before the anti-Phoenix negativity from the city vs city forum spreads to it! (I can't read the threads here for that reason.. They make me frustrated!)

Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Tough one. I would probably go with Flagstaff because of its proximity to Phoenix and SoCal because being close to urban areas is more important to me than outdoors stuff as I do more urban stuff more frequently.

But Boise is a really neat small city in a beautiful part of the country. Now that I think about that, I think I may go with Boise because it would be cheaper and not as touristry as Flagstaff is. So I guess a toss up? Both are really too small and remote for me in the end though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City