Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Those might be what I would call " 'The Rookies' apartments:" 2 levels, stucco, flat though slightly sloped shiny white rock roofs, tacky "Malibu lighting," Miami fonts calling out some stupid bastardized French/Spanish name on their street-facing wall, such as "Mar La Rue," and 4 coveted parking spots, in between stilts, from the alley behind and between two streets, for its 8 units.

You CAN survive this YouTube, but this apartment type is shown at the very end of the video. This is seriously funny stuff! Is THAT what you meant by "old dingbat apartments?"

THE ROOKIES SHOW OPENING - YouTube
Yeah I saw them towards the very end. Which is a testament to how old they are. I like that style though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
Miami, simply because of the "pastel art deco" style is really only found in these two cities. Nowhere really can really be compared to LA though.

I never could stand the older buildings in Chicago, especially the ones where the front part comes out and you have windows on three sides (typical of gray/brown-stone architecture).

Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
I guess Miami.....even though they're nothing alike really.

LA is massively larger than miami.....and more diverse.
LA's topography is also completely different....and their weather is different.

LA has more to offer than miami. Yes both are near beaches, etc. (Miami's beaches are prettier. LA's topography is prettier).... both have large Hispanic populations, tho Miami is more "HIspanic" per capita....like literally, almost everyone in Miami is Hispniac, wher as in LA, u have more persians, europeans, asians, etc.

Yeah, Houston would prob be the best choice.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I guess Miami.....even though they're nothing alike really.

LA is massively larger than miami.....and more diverse.
LA's topography is also completely different....and their weather is different.

LA has more to offer than miami. Yes both are near beaches, etc. (Miami's beaches are prettier. LA's topography is prettier).... both have large Hispanic populations, tho Miami is more "HIspanic" per capita....like literally, almost everyone in Miami is Hispniac, wher as in LA, u have more persians, europeans, asians, etc.

Yeah, Houston would prob be the best choice.
I don't know if LA has more Europeans per capita. I think Miami might be more "European" than LA. The coastal and beach areas have a couple European enclaves, and there is more European travel to Miami. I heard that LA has alot of Russians and Armenians. Miami also has Russians, and Jews, and Brits. A decent Spaniard population, also. While Hispanics make up HIGH percentage, the coastal areas have a decent migration of Europeans. Then Miami also has a more diverse West Indian population than LA. LA is more diverse then Miami, but Miami has a decent amount of non-Hispanic enclaves throughout. Little Haiti, Little Moscow, Little Tel Aviv etc.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't know if LA has more Europeans per capita. I think Miami might be more "European" than LA. The coastal and beach areas have a couple European enclaves, and there is more European travel to Miami. I heard that LA has alot of Russians and Armenians. Miami also has Russians, and Jews, and Brits. A decent Spaniard population, also. While Hispanics make up HIGH percentage, the coastal areas have a decent migration of Europeans. Then Miami also has a more diverse West Indian population than LA. LA is more diverse then Miami, but Miami has a decent amount of non-Hispanic enclaves throughout. Little Haiti, Little Moscow, Little Tel Aviv etc.
Santa Monica has a very high British population apparently.

I think technically (by the numbers) Miami may be more diverse. Los Angeles probably has more of an Asian population though. Most of the ethnic enclaves in LA are Asian - Little Tokyo, Thai Town, Filipinotown, Sawtelle (Little Tokyo pt. II), Koreatown. I've read a few articles about how in Koreatown a lot of the Korean shop owners are learning and becoming conversationally-fluent in Spanish, and this is without knowing English at all! This also goes the other way, Spanish speaking workers are learning Korean too. I find things like that to be incredibly fascinating.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Just curious, where in the Miami area is Little Tel Aviv? And Little Moscow is basically Sunny Isles Beach, right?

Does the city of Miami itself have many European enclaves or are most of those along the beach communities? I mean Miami Beach is a very international place--I've seen plenty of European ex-pats around that town, but I'm curious if there's other areas with a more European international population evident...

Old 11-16-2012, 12:18 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,386,178 times
Quote:
According to the 2011 American Community Survey 3 year estimates, here are the numbers

Miami Area European Born: 122,275 (5.7% of the foreign born, 2.2% of the total population)
Los Angeles Area European Born: 278,051 (5.0% of the foreign born, 1.6% of the total population)

Born in Northern Europe:
Miami: 25,435
Los Angeles: 72,053

Born in Western Europe:
Miami: 26,925
Los Angeles: 67,359

Born in Southern Europe:
Miami: 28,361
Los Angeles: 29,865

Born in Eastern Europe:
Miami: 41,207
Los Angeles: 108,054

Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Yeah I saw them towards the very end. Which is a testament to how old they are. I like that style though.
To me they always screamed 70's, but those things go as far back as the 50's. They're almost universally derided, but I can't help but love 'em, they define an era. And they're EVERYWHERE. That scene from "The Rookies" looks like West L.A., maybe Santa Monica. robertpolygot also touched on the names--they are indeed hilarious and overly-descriptive. Ever see "White Men Can't Jump"? At one point, Wesley Snipes's wife complains that there's no vistas, there's no views, and there sure as hell aren't any vistas of any damn views. She was describing her residence, the Vista View Apartments. Those are dingbats (how lovable is that name btw? Lol, I can never stop saying it).

The guy who came up with this name deserves an award. Or a pink slip. Or both:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiHcPCMQRKU

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-16-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Just curious, where in the Miami area is Little Tel Aviv? And Little Moscow is basically Sunny Isles Beach, right?
Collins Avenue, from South Beach all the way up to the Broward County line, has historically always had a sizable Jewish population. In the late 80s, there were still a lot of ancient widows from NY sitting on their porches watching the world go by, despite "Scarface" activity going on across the Intercoastal Waterway. I would venture that Israeli and Russian Jewish population is probably strongest from whichever causeway links into Miami Beach north of the Fontainebleau/Eden Roc (streets numbered in the 50s) all the way up to up around Bal Harbour's shopping (streets numbered in the 90s), and then up around North Miami Beach/Aventura (170s?). I'll never forget walking into a Denny's somewhere in North Miami Beach, maybe 2003, and this one accented retired lady doing the seating told me I reminded her of her Dad , when he was young. I asked her where she was from. She told me she was from Israel. Once in Broward County, both Hallandale and Hollywood are supposed to have Greek/Romanian/Balkan communities of the (Christian) Orthodox variety, living fairly close to the A1A (I don't remember at which point Collins becomes referred to as the A1A).

Still, the oceanfront feel of Miami Beach looks like nice parts of Santa Monica (without mountains) and some of the houses around Little Havana, some with chain link fences, look like the same kind of houses found in South Central or East LA. Regardless, Miami itself has a population of around 400,000 and it isn't a headquarters for much of anything, except financial institutions doing business with Latin America. For that reason, I think a big business town like Houston is more like LA. Visually and in terms of punch, I see Houston to be more like Los Angeles. However, I don't think Houston fares well with Angelenos who moved there because they are too attached to the whole slate of LA's amenities.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Correction:
Causeway (Interstate 195) dumps into 41st, south of the Fontainebleau and the Eden Roc.
Aventura, and the big mall, hooks into Collins via 192nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City