Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 02:23 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Atlanta is more like Charlotte from its skyline to its location in the Southeastern US. There is nothing about Atlanta that is remotely like LA. It doesn't even have palm trees.

Dallas doesn't share anything geographically or otherwise with LA either except its flashiness, attitude, & suburbs on steroids. Dallas looks like a large Oklahoma City or insert any other Midwestern/Great Plains cities.

The cities that most resemble LA looks wise are Houston, Vegas, San Francisco, & Miami.

Hills, mountains, palm trees, oceans, freeways, deserts, etc.

All of those cities have one or more of each.

Diversity Houston is the most like LA.
I don't think the question is about what cities most resemble LA physically, it's about what cities exude an LA vibe or atmosphere: sprawl, ridiculous traffic, materialism and the presence of mass media / entertainment industry / celebrities. In every one of those regards, Atlanta is very much like LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
How so?

Atlanta is predominately Black.

LA is predominately Hispanic & Asian.

The people are not the same & Atlanta looks nothing like LA period. Its not even on or close to the coast.
That's not the point. They act like they're major fashion gurus or big time actresses. I walk into GAP and I get fashion advice from employees who think they work on Fifth Ave. It makes no sense.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
Even tho San Diego is only likw 100 miles south of LA....I feel San Diego has a completely different vibe. Completely....and I love it that way.

Even physically....San Diego looks different. I feel as if LA has a lot moer palm trees than San Diego.... and one would think the opposite being that San Diego is more southerly than LA, therefore having a bit more of a warmer climate?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times
Quote:
Dallas doesn't share anything geographically or otherwise with LA either except its flashiness, attitude, & suburbs on steroids. Dallas looks like a large Oklahoma City or insert any other Midwestern/Great Plains cities.

The cities that most resemble LA looks wise are Houston, Vegas, San Francisco, & Miami.

Hills, mountains, palm trees, oceans, freeways, deserts, etc.

All of those cities have one or more of each.

Diversity Houston is the most like LA.
So Dallas is flat, yet Houston is hilly And I didn't know that Houston was in a desert..or Miami..or San Francisco....

And demographically wise, San Francisco and the Bay Area is MUCH closer to LA than Houston is. Considering that SF Bay is in the same state and has the same demographic circumstances (except with a more Asian tilt than Hispanic), it's not that surprising.

Quote:
LA is predominately Hispanic & Asian.
LA has more White people than Asian people. Whoops

Let me know the amount of time you've lived here or even spent time here.

Man, I love how you speak so authoritatively about my city, nearly with the same authority (and knowledge) about my culture.

Quote:
Pretty much what I suspected. LA with those Russians and Armenians(although kinda Middle-Eastern/Eurasian) give LA the Eastern European edge.
Armenians born in Armenia, Lebanon and Iran are counted as part of "Western Asia"
Armenians born in Russia, Ukraine, etc. (much smaller number) are counted as part of Eastern Europe. Most Eastern Europeans here are from Russia, Ukraine, etc. Not as many Poles though.

I should know. One of my best friends is Russian.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
So Dallas is flat, yet Houston is hilly And I didn't know that Houston was in a desert..or Miami..or San Francisco....

And demographically wise, San Francisco and the Bay Area is MUCH closer to LA than Houston is. Considering that SF Bay is in the same state and has the same demographic circumstances (except with a more Asian tilt than Hispanic), it's not that surprising.

LA has more White people than Asian people. Whoops

Let me know the amount of time you've lived here or even spent time here.

Man, I love how you speak so authoritatively about my city, nearly with the same authority (and knowledge) about my culture.

Armenians born in Armenia, Lebanon and Iran are counted as part of "Western Asia"
Armenians born in Russia, Ukraine, etc. (much smaller number) are counted as part of Eastern Europe. Most Eastern Europeans here are from Russia, Ukraine, etc. Not as many Poles though.

I should know. One of my best friends is Russian.
I wonder how all those Russians got out West. But then again, how did all these Asians get out east.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I wonder how all those Russians got out West. But then again, how did all these Asians get out east.
Well, its important to remember that before the West Coast was divided up into British and Spanish influence, the Russians were also in contention to control the West Coast. The reason why San Francisco was built so far north was that in part, it was meant to counter the "Russian threat" to the area.

Fort Ross State Historic Park Russian Colony

A Russian fort lies a mere 50 miles as the crow flies away from the Presidio of San Francisco.

Before the Russian Revolution, there were a number of Molokans (a religious minority that has been historically persecuted in a majority Russian Orthodox Russia) who settled out West, seeking to practice their religion in isolation from local authorities. This was mainly away from the cities and mostly in Washington State.

After the Russian Revolution and subsequent Russian Civil War, a large number of White Russians who migrated to SF Bay Area, Seattle, and Portland. A lot of these Russians came from the Far East of Russia, so it made more geographic sense to migrate there than going all the way through Red territory to get to Europe to migrate to the East Coast.

However, the largest amount of Russians came after the fall of the Soviet Union. Of course, everyone knows about the Russian population of NYC, but the state of California as a whole has the 2nd most amount of people born in the former Soviet Union, though per capita, it obviously doesn't beat NY State or New Jersey.

Unlike other European groups, those from the former Soviet Union really did concentrate mostly on the coasts.

In LA, many of those initially settled here were settled by Jewish settlement agencies (like my friend), but then came 'family' who may or may not have been Jewish. Though, its odd that LA has the 2nd largest foreign born Russian population in the US, but aside from a small strip of West Hollywood, there really isn't a "Russian neighborhood" per se like every other ethnic group in LA.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I don't think the question is about what cities most resemble LA physically, it's about what cities exude an LA vibe or atmosphere: sprawl, ridiculous traffic, materialism and the presence of mass media / entertainment industry / celebrities. In every one of those regards, Atlanta is very much like LA.
Dallas has more of an LA vibe than Atlanta if those are your qualifying similarities.

It's far and away more fashion conscious than Atlanta. It has a bit of Hollywood glamour to it too. Chuck Norris and Erika Badduh call Dallas home as well as some other Hollywood type moguls. Highland Park was designed by the same person who designed Beverly Hills. Dallas is a wealthier city than Atlanta. More Billionaires and millionaires live there.

Even as a state no other state is more like California geographically & culturally than Texas. Georgia shares no similarities with California, just Eastern Texas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-18-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 02:48 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,181 times
All of the cities listed have very little or anything in common with LA, except Miami.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Well, its important to remember that before the West Coast was divided up into British and Spanish influence, the Russians were also in contention to control the West Coast. The reason why San Francisco was built so far north was that in part, it was meant to counter the "Russian threat" to the area.

Fort Ross State Historic Park Russian Colony

A Russian fort lies a mere 50 miles as the crow flies away from the Presidio of San Francisco.

Before the Russian Revolution, there were a number of Molokans (a religious minority that has been historically persecuted in a majority Russian Orthodox Russia) who settled out West, seeking to practice their religion in isolation from local authorities. This was mainly away from the cities and mostly in Washington State.

After the Russian Revolution and subsequent Russian Civil War, a large number of White Russians who migrated to SF Bay Area, Seattle, and Portland. A lot of these Russians came from the Far East of Russia, so it made more geographic sense to migrate there than going all the way through Red territory to get to Europe to migrate to the East Coast.

However, the largest amount of Russians came after the fall of the Soviet Union. Of course, everyone knows about the Russian population of NYC, but the state of California as a whole has the 2nd most amount of people born in the former Soviet Union, though per capita, it obviously doesn't beat NY State or New Jersey.

Unlike other European groups, those from the former Soviet Union really did concentrate mostly on the coasts.

In LA, many of those initially settled here were settled by Jewish settlement agencies (like my friend), but then came 'family' who may or may not have been Jewish. Though, its odd that LA has the 2nd largest foreign born Russian population in the US, but aside from a small strip of West Hollywood, there really isn't a "Russian neighborhood" per se like every other ethnic group in LA.
I heard of the Molokans actually. I heard about them from former member of Nirvana Krist Novoselic. Interesting history of how they settled in NorCal and the PNW. But this is all interesting, and now that I think of it, as you said a good portion of them came from Eastern Russia which might be closer to CA, and easier to get through, instead of going through red Western Russia.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,517 times
New York. Another city of information/intellectual workers. Another media center, sometimes the only two cities the media pays attention to. Another city of Jews, Latinos (called Hispanics back east), and Blacks. Another city of center-left politics, with strong union influences. Another national leader in food culture. Another fast moving, often tense city. The urban form is very different, obviously, but the content is surprisingly similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City