Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
Aren't you the one who is obsessed with Houston being similar to LA?
Houston is similar to LA in several ways...

Downtown skyline/architecture (hard to distinguish the two)

Massive network of freeways (Houston's are newer & much wider)

Seaport cities & airport hubs of entry into the US.

Huge Hispanic & Asian populations as well as every other nationality represented throughout the world.

Coastal with an abundance of palm trees & other tropical foliage.

Largest cities in California & Texas which also happen to be the nations 2 largest states.

Pancake Flat (LA Basin)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 PM

940 posts, read 2,028,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Sounds about right, maybe throw a Mediterranean city in the mix?
hmm... interesting but not sure if there are any that would fit. Despite the climate and some of the topography in a few places there's very little that LA has in common with european mediterranean cities.

maybe you could say a touch of tel aviv?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is similar to LA in several ways...

Downtown skyline/architecture (hard to distinguish the two)

Massive network of freeways (Houston's are newer & much wider)

Seaport cities & airport hubs of entry into the US.

Huge Hispanic & Asian populations as well as every other nationality represented throughout the world.

Coastal with an abundance of palm trees & other tropical foliage.

Largest cities in California & Texas which also happen to be the nations 2 largest states.

Pancake Flat (LA Basin)

These to me seem like similarities at 30,000 feet. If we're talking from that perspective then I would agree that LA and Houston are very similar. I feel that Houston is moreso the "next" LA than any other city in the US (it also has a chance of raising its profile in a very short timespan).

At the street/built environment level though, Houston is less similar than some of the other cities are.

The things I would look for in a City to "feel like LA" to a visitor would be relatively wide boulevards with frontages comprised primarily of low-to-mid-rise commercial buildings pushed up to the street. The neighborhoods would need to have a mix of single and multi-family housing not higher than 4 or so stories, with most falling in the one-to-two story range.

The cities that come closest to having some of these characteristics are places like Denver, Portland, Seattle, and Miami.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM

^^and San Diego.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM

Some typical Los Angeles boulevard fragments:
los angeles - Google Maps

The "LA experience" really is most defined in my opinion by these kinds of wide streets with street-fronting dingy pastel-colored buildings pockmarked with small strip malls.

Here's some similar streets in Denver.
Denver - Google Maps
Denver - Google Maps
Denver - Google Maps

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM

214 posts, read 410,540 times
Definitely not Atlanta. I will say this, if anyone has been to Lima, Peru they would think that LA and Lima are 1st cousins at the very least. Very, very similar cities.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 PM

696 posts, read 1,171,052 times
Atlanta because of sprawl
Miami bc of the glitz and glamour + palm trees

Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Atlanta because of sprawl
Miami bc of the glitz and glamour + palm trees
You can practically fit the entire population of Atlanta into Hollywood + Koreatown + Westlake - an area about 1/10th the size of Atlanta proper. Atlanta is not like Los Angeles in almost any way I can see. If anything Atlanta seems like a hyper-low-density Boston.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
You can practically fit the entire population of Atlanta into Hollywood + Koreatown + Westlake - an area about 1/10th the size of Atlanta proper. Atlanta is not like Los Angeles in almost any way I can see. If anything Atlanta seems like a hyper-low-density Boston.
I don't think much of the core of the Boston metro, say most of the metro within SR-128 resembles Atlanta at all. Density-wise much of the outer Boston metro is similar to Atlanta, but more older small towns and far less pedestrian hostile.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think much of the core of the Boston metro, say most of the metro within SR-128 resembles Atlanta at all. Density-wise much of the outer Boston metro is similar to Atlanta, but more older small towns and far less pedestrian hostile.
Yeah I agree, I guess I meant more on a "meta" level. Small-ish cores with relatively sprawling low-density suburbs that consist of small towns being connected to each other. The cores are nothing alike though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City