Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 12:14 PM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Nashville attract a large amount of Urban acts, shows, etc.. You may have to explore the city for your self, listen to Urban radio on Iheart radio,, listen to all the happenings with in the city. Its funny because I noticed most people in GA don't realize Nashville has a good bit of urban acts, comedy shows, concerts going on in the city just like country does but a lot around other sectors of the US does. That attracts black celebs to the city.. I would suggest listening to 92Q Nashville on a regular as well.. You could learn a lot
Right but all of this is still seems very 'locale' in perspective of the overall media trade and in all this still seems very much on a minor side at that when comparing the two cities that influence media entertainment where as the broad majority of its national contribution to country is still the brandish its known for. I'm sure there are other things Nashville offers but diversity in that aspect comes into play when its no longer 'dominated' by one entity on a national basis so to speak.

There's nothing wrong with that but... it is what it is...

I just state because the logic you're using, I could argue to say that Austin offers more than country and rock because there's a few electronica clubs or shows but in trade to the overall national media scene thats still extremely small in perspective.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-18-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 12:19 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Read my previous post above
You haven't mentioned what celebrities have moved there that are unrelated to country music. Idc about musicians/groups touring. They go to a lot of cities. Nashville isn't that special for touring musicians. They go to like Des Moines and Boise and Louisville too. Nobody is saying celebrities are moving to the cities.

OTOH, LA and Atlanta attract a lot of celebrities to MOVE there. Atlanta attracts a lot of rappers, but others as well. What celebrities, unrelated to country music, are moving to Nashville? The reason this is important is because that's why Atlanta is more similar to LA.

Also, LA's music scene is heavily rap-based. Some very famous rappers have come out of LA, just like Atlanta. County musicians don't get their starts in LA. That's another similarity between LA and Atlanta.

What shows , unrelated to country music, are set in Nashville? Atlanta has a lot.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:29 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,479,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You haven't mentioned what celebrities have moved there that are unrelated to country music. Idc about musicians/groups touring. They go to a lot of cities. Nashville isn't that special for touring musicians. They go to like Des Moines and Boise and Louisville too. Nobody is saying celebrities are moving to the cities.

OTOH, LA and Atlanta attract a lot of celebrities to MOVE there. Atlanta attracts a lot of rappers, but others as well. What celebrities, unrelated to country music, are moving to Nashville? The reason this is important is because that's why Atlanta is more similar to LA.

Also, LA's music scene is heavily rap-based. Some very famous rappers have come out of LA, just like Atlanta. County musicians don't get their starts in LA. That's another similarity between LA and Atlanta.

What shows , unrelated to country music, are set in Nashville? Atlanta has a lot.
I mentioned,, above Jill Scott.. It wasn't a major comparison of the two.. We already know that as far as Atlanta.. My point is Nashville is not just county music..
Black Music Honors
https://musicrow.com/2018/07/2018-bl...s-faith-evans/ https://www.nashvillescene.com/music...essee-and-more

Old 12-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I mentioned,, above Jill Scott.. It wasn't a major comparison of the two.. We already know that as far as Atlanta.. My point is Nashville is not just county music..
Black Music Honors
https://musicrow.com/2018/07/2018-bl...s-faith-evans/ https://www.nashvillescene.com/music...essee-and-more
Just because you have 1 or 2 things unrelated to country doesn't mean that Nashville is not overwhelmingly country music centric. By that measure, just because country music artists tour through LA and NYC, we are country music towns because some residents are country music fans. Not true.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:08 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Just because you have 1 or 2 things unrelated to country doesn't mean that Nashville is not overwhelmingly country music centric. By that measure, just because country music artists tour through LA and NYC, we are country music towns because some residents are country music fans. Not true.
I think what he is saying is Nashville is a lot more diverse than a lot of people give credit for it. When you visit there it feels a good more diverse than Atlanta does, the energy and excitement of the city is very underrated.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I think what he is saying is Nashville is a lot more diverse than a lot of people give credit for it. When you visit there it feels a good more diverse than Atlanta does, the energy and excitement of the city is very underrated.
I'll concede that yes, Nashville on the ground is a great city. I had an amazing time there. I almost forgot I was in the South after having lived in Louisville for three years. Louisville feels way more Southern. Nashville has a lot of people moving from out of state for work now, music and not music related. But the actual celebrity scene, for comparisons with LA, is almost entirely country-related. The individual people who nobody cares about like you and me are definitely not based entirely on country music.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:23 PM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
I definitely agree its underrated but I dunno if I can agree on the diversity aspect compared to Atlanta metro.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:38 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I definitely agree its underrated but I dunno if I can agree on the diversity aspect compared to Atlanta metro.
well their nightlife at least has more diversity

Old 12-18-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
well their nightlife at least has more diversity
Yeah diversity idk. Non-Southernness? Yes, Nashville has a lot of non-Southern qualities to it, despite its celebrity scene being dominated by country music.

Is the nightlife actually more diverse, though? I won't actually comment on that since I'm not well-versed in both. But I would imagine Atlanta is more diverse just based on the size and diversity of the city.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Admittedly I personally feel Texas doesn't really care about Austin very much either, displayed by its crappy infrastructure and utter chaotic clashes between left winged city leaders and right winged state leaders governed in the same city. Not on the same scale of Atlanta so to speak with the added hostility toward racial governance but - Austin wants to be more like California and Texas vomits alittle in the mouth at the very thought of it.
Well the state can't be completely blamed for Austin's subpar infrastructure as there was a strong anti-growth movement in place just as the city was getting popular. But instead of growth slowing, it accelerated and now the city is trying to play catch-up in a big way.

But my point is that the scenario of Nashville being in Texas and being bigger/more prominent than it currently is as a result is highly questionable since, for all intents and purposes, Austin is already "Nashville in Texas" and I'm not seeing how two such cities would both be able to boom and thrive at the same time. Plus it's highly unlikely that the healthcare industry in Nashville would be as big as it is if it were in Texas since it would be more likely that Houston would have occupied that niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City