Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,916,987 times

Advertisements

"Flyover Country" is much bigger than that area. I think most people think anything west of DC and east of the bay area is flyover country.

But as far as the cities you listed, you have two groups.

Kansas City (which punches way above its 2 million person size)

and St Paul (which includes the rest of the MSP area) and yes, St Paul is a very neat and interesting city and is still in this tier with kc compared to the other cities even without Minneapolis.

The rest of those cities can't really compare to KC and MSP simply because they are just not as large or comprehensive metros, but are all interesting in their own ways.

People are extremely ignorant of the country outside of where they live though and it seems like the cities in the middle of the country are the most stereotyped and ignored even though I think when you compare most of them to SIMILAR SIZED cities on the either coast, the cities in the middle generally come out on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,759,157 times
I'm probably in the minority here, as someone who grew up in the midwest, but everytime someone from either coast has referred to the midwest as flyover country - I've agreed.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,552,023 times
flyover countries - hmmm

iceland

Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,631,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I'm probably in the minority here, as someone who grew up in the midwest, but everytime someone from either coast has referred to the midwest as flyover country - I've agreed.
I agree! I spent most of my time until college in eastern South Dakota, and then 12 years in Lincoln, Nebraska before getting out to move here to Seattle. The Lincoln/Omaha area is clean and decent, but extremely boring. Even people I knew who had no intention of ever moving away would sigh when going back home from a vacation in one of the more happening areas, talking about going back to "boring old Nebraska".

Old 11-16-2012, 02:16 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,223,629 times
St.paul is a satelite city of Minneapolis that recieves much attention from people.
And what is with KC? You know how often KC is talked about in the media?
Most people have heard of KC BBQ, Google Fiber, etc.

I would add however Tulsa and Wichita. They are both larger cities then most people assume.
Also, Lexington and Tucson are never mentioned anywhere.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM

932 posts, read 1,947,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think most people think anything west of DC and east of the bay area is flyover country.
Add North of Dallas and South of Chicago, and you've got it.

I think of the plains states as flyover country.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Madison, WI is not part of flyover country because of its close proximity to Chicagoland and Milwaukee. The social culture is more mainstream in Madison compared to that of the flyover Plains states. You know, that land of Brownback and Kansas. HA HA.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM

17,825 posts, read 13,733,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I have lived in Des Moines or St. Paul since 1997 and I have never once felt isolated. I'm currently within 4 hours of Kansas City, Omaha, and Minneapolis, and within 6 hours of St. Louis and Chicago (not to mention Sioux Falls, Lincoln, Madison, Rochester, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, and Davenport). Omaha and Kansas City are neighbors. Des Moines-Kansas City-Wichita-Oklahoma City-Dallas are all about three hours apart. This part of the country is not nearly as isolated as the Mountain West.

That said, I would rank those 8 cities in almost exactly the order you listed them:

1. St. Paul (and Minneapolis)
2. Des Moines
3. Kansas City
4. Omaha
5. Oklahoma City
6. Tulsa
7. Little Rock
8. Wichita

As for amenities...

Museums: OKC, MSP, and KC all have some spectacular museums (especially the Weisman in MSP)
Economy: Des Moines, Omaha, and MSP
Park Systems: MSP has easily one of the best park systems in the country
Shopping: MSP and Kansas City
Neighborhoods: MSP and Des Moines are the ones I know best, though I'm sure all these cities have nice neighborhoods
Universities: MSP
Entertainment: None of these cities lack entertainment. MSP is bested only by the American megacities in its high-quality entertainment.

Just a tip, every single person in "flyover country" detests the term "flyover country."
Not that I am protesting but what makes Des Moines better than the cities listed below them. I would think Des Moines would be more along the levels of Wichita and Little Rock but I am curious as to your logic.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Not that I am protesting but what makes Des Moines better than the cities listed below them. I would think Des Moines would be more along the levels of Wichita and Little Rock but I am curious as to your logic.
Are you serious? Des Moines metro has a lower unemployment rate, greater educational attainment, higher median household income, and greater population growth than Wichita and Little Rock. The big difference is that Wichita and Little Rock are far more socially conservative than Des Moines and part of the Bible Belt.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM

342 posts, read 571,538 times
West of ST. Louis, East of Denver, North of Dallas, south of Canada is flyover country to me. but really most people think that everything not on the 2 coasts or chicago is flyover country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City