Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,651 times

Advertisements

I presently live in Tampa and lost my job. I have offers in Seattle, Richardson and Denver and would like input for a 57 year old guy with just a dog and a motorcycle. Don't care much about the dating seen anymore. Just looking for not too much traffic, reasonable rents, good riding weather but not so hot for so long as it is here in Tampa. I do like being around both the mountains and water even though I don't hike or fish much. The job market in Dallas for telecom is good but I'm concerned about the heat and how flat it is. Everyone says Seatlle is beautiful but can I ride my bike if it rains that much? Denver sounds decent but I'm not sure. All 3 jobs pay around the same give or take a few K. Any input would be appreciated from current or past residents of those cities. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Seattle has horrible traffic, but as a motorcyclist you can use the HOV lanes wherever they exist. And there are lots of great places to ride with amazing scenery.

I used to live and ride there year-round; the rain never really bothered me, unless it turned to snow, which happens only very rarely. I'd rather deal with light rain and 45F than broiling humidity and 95F any day.

I suspect it's a bit more expensive than the other two cities, but probably not by much.

WA, unlike the other two states you listed, does have a helmet law, if that's an issue for you.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Looking at your criteria, I might lean toward Denver. Seattle is pretty pricey and Dallas is hot 6 month of the year. I live in Dallas and love living here, but I also like the heat.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:48 PM

34 posts, read 35,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Looking at your criteria, I might lean toward Denver. Seattle is pretty pricey and Dallas is hot 6 month of the year. I live in Dallas and love living here, but I also like the heat.
Dallas is not hot six months out of the year, far from it. It is only over 85 on average less than 4 months a year. And for me personally it doesn't get hot till it's 100+, so basically for me Dallas never has a month with avg. highs over 100. The hottest avg. high is 96.1, and that's July. Plus it's pretty arid in Dallas compared to Tampa so it's going to feel cooler. I would choose Denver though, because of the topography criteria.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,651 times
justme02 can I ask what you like about the Dallas area? This job would be in Richardson.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM

6 posts, read 13,188 times
Dallas and Denver rub me as young person's towns. Go to Seattle.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny4560 View Post
justme02 can I ask what you like about the Dallas area? This job would be in Richardson.
I thing you get a huge bang for the buck in Dallas. Its cheap, yet we have world class dining and shopping and you can still afford a nice big house if you want. Richardson is a very diverse area with people from all over the world living there (particularly China, India, and Vietnam). I travel internationally a lot for work as well and having DFW airport is great. Its more internationally connected than Denver or Seattle.

I would go on about nightlife and schools, but the nightlife is more catered to the young people here.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:27 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Those dreary Seattle days tho! hmmm. I think either of the three could work Do a pros and cons chart. And go down the list from cost of living to weather to night life.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ildiavolo View Post
Dallas and Denver rub me as young person's towns. Go to Seattle.
I would say Seattle is the biggest "young persons town" out of those three from my experiences.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City