Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,022 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been posted but I was wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding the most beautiful large city in the US.

I've lived in NYC my whole life and I love it! However, I would not call NYC "beautiful". Many of the buildings are but I think impressive or large is a much better description of NYC then beautiful.

IMO, the most beautiful large American city Ive ever visited was San Francisco with Seattle close behind.

Annapolis, Savannah, and Charleston are also beautiful but I wouldnt call any of them large cities. My definition of large is more 500,000 people living in the city limits.

So what is your opinion of the most beautiful large city in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
Ok I feel like this topic has been done to death but I'll bite.

For me it's a tie between San Francisco and Chicago, possibly giving San Francisco the upper hand.

San Francisco combines and urban city with beautiful natural settings. I thought the architecture in SF was nice but overrated.

Chicago also has natural beauty, not on the level of SF, but the Lake with it's Carribbean colored water, all the trees and green in the city, and amazing architecture.

SF wins in regards to nautral beauty, and Chicago in the physical city itself.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Ok I feel like this topic has been done to death but I'll bite.

For me it's a tie between San Francisco and Chicago, possibly giving San Francisco the upper hand.

San Francisco combines and urban city with beautiful natural settings. I thought the architecture in SF was nice but overrated.

Chicago also has natural beauty, not on the level of SF, but the Lake with it's Carribbean colored water, all the trees and green in the city, and amazing architecture.

SF wins in regards to nautral beauty, and Chicago in the physical city itself.
I agree with this. Of course, there is beauty in all cities though. There is a neighborhood in NW Philly that I find more beautiful than any urban neighborhood I have been to (Chestnut Hill).

Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
I just feel like as far as "beauty" goes....it's all subjective. Each person has a different standard of what they consider "beautiful"....
like me, for example. --I think the most beautiful cities are located on the west coast of the US....Places like San Diego, San Fran, Seattle, Portland, etc.... they're natural beauty is unlike anything on the east coast...the mountains, the ocean, the vistas, the beautiful views, the redwoods, the green forest, the palm trees in Socal, the beaches, the rugged topography, the natural beauty if inland California up through the valleys, it's just breath-taking to look at.....where as on the east coast theres very few cities that have that natural topography....tho on the east coast the cities tend to be more grren with trees, etc...

so I dunno. But San Diego, Seattle, San Fran are my top picks.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
I think West Coast cities have some of the most dramatic and scenic settings like SF, San Diego, LA, Seattle, Portland, and Honolulu.

East Coast and Midwest cities can be really beautiful at the ground level with all the trees and lush vegetation. I thought Chicago was a particularly nice looking city at the ground level, the lake too is really nice. NYC has some really nice parks too. I'd also put Miami up there too will all the water and the vegetation/palm trees make it a really attractive looking city.

My top pick probably goes to Honolulu though. The climate, the palm trees/vegetation, the dramatic mountains, tropical beaches, volcano, etc..

Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think West Coast cities have some of the most dramatic and scenic settings like SF, San Diego, LA, Seattle, Portland, and Honolulu.

East Coast and Midwest cities can be really beautiful at the ground level with all the trees and lush vegetation. I thought Chicago was a particularly nice looking city at the ground level, the lake too is really nice. NYC has some really nice parks too. I'd also put Miami up there too will all the water and the vegetation/palm trees make it a really attractive looking city.

My top pick probably goes to Honolulu though. The climate, the palm trees/vegetation, the dramatic mountains, tropical beaches, volcano, etc..
Gotta agree here. Honolulu looks amazing.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I'll say all cities have some sort of beauty, San Francisco stands out in my mind.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
San Francisco for the whole package
Seattle for natural scenery and surroundings
Chicago for the infrastructure and buildings

Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 PM

362 posts, read 665,240 times
Easily Seattle and San Francisco for natural scenery......

Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Easily Seattle and San Francisco for natural scenery......
I second that and choose these two cities as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City