Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:48 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm sure it can compete but most of the time, Chicago will come out on top just like Chicago can compete with New York. But most of the time New York will come out on top. I'm sure Austin could compete with Houston in some things as well. But when it comes down to it, Houston will come out on top. Chicago is simply on another tier compared to Houston and that is no knock on Houston.

I need to REP you on this..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 03:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas940 View Post
realy they might be biger all ready or closer, texas had the lowest nuber of census returns this year. alot of peaple didnt feelthem out and not to metion all the imergrants in the state
Oh dear goshhh, not this thread again!!!!!!!!!

Trust me, it isn't bigger already and it won't be for a very long time.

Coming from both of these cities though, I can tell you one thing though, one is progressing at a much faster rate than the other.

By the way, I was on Fort Worth's Wikipedia page yesterday, I found that first paragraph unbelievable to be honest how they put their 2030 projection right there. Their population will match what Dallas is right now then...

Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,316,554 times
If i were to print this entire thread it would be as big as three harry potter books!

Old 06-30-2010, 03:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Top Ten Reasons Why This will Never Happen:

10. Global Warming - Warmer Winter and Hotter Summers
9. Ethonol - Corn good, Oil Bad - All that corn in Lake Michigan makes the fish happy
8. NASA - Houston cannot anex space
7. They don't call em the fighting Illini for nothing
6. Houston ain't Atlanta
5. Sonoma -1, Chicago +1 - reps to Grapico
4. There is higher Starbucks Density in Chicago
3. Dallas has all the good malls in TX
2. Chicago has better suburban office parks where corporate leaders locate
1. OmShahi changed his location

Old 06-30-2010, 05:58 PM

259 posts, read 543,640 times
Who cares if it does happen I mean at the end of the day it's still Chicago and Chicago still bats Houston in most areas of city life lol

Old 06-30-2010, 06:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Who cares if it does happen I mean at the end of the day it's still Chicago and Chicago still bats Houston in most areas of city life lol
Subjective. Anyways,this topic is pointless and regardless of what city is 3rd. They are both great cities in their own right, but I feel Houston hasn't made a name for itself as the 4th largest city. Like Houston is a great city, but the 4th largest city is not what comes to mind when I think of it.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Subjective. Anyways,this topic is pointless and regardless of what city is 3rd. They are both great cities in their own right, but I feel Houston hasn't made a name for itself as the 4th largest city. Like Houston is a great city, but the 4th largest city is not what comes to mind when I think of it.
no where near being subjective...it's clear cut..Chicago has a better transit system..it trumps houston in shopping fine dining as well as ethnic eatery and not to mention architecture..Chicago comes on top in all those areas and many others

Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
no where near being subjective...it's clear cut..Chicago has a better transit system..it trumps houston in shopping fine dining as well as ethnic eatery and not to mention architecture..Chicago comes on top in all those areas and many others
Things like dining and architecture are subjective. Chicago can't compete with Houston when it comes to Soul Food, Tex-Mex, and Cajun/Creole for starters.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
I'm an ultra Chicago fanatic, but let's be fair here.

Was the city built up as the Utopia you're describing before people even moved there? No, it went with it's time and led to becoming what it is, and it proceed to be one of America's top 3 cities by all of it's innovative stands and developments.

Houston is growing, and it hasn't reached it's prime yet, anyone who see's the amount of developments that city has going on just right now can tell you it's making the changes to be someone people will recognize. Houston has just gotten into the mindset that it's America's 4th largest city. Trust me, I have spent all night looking at the two cities and their future developments, what I see from Houston and the projects there, I am liking, the city is changing at a good rate.

jluke never said Houston was better, and it's not (at least right now and the foreseeable near future) but it's not right to go off and discredit it entirely when it's not at it's prime time yet.

Do you think it's fair to compare a fully establish one of the best American cities with one that is transitioning and changing into becoming a far better city than it was before?

Because I frankly don't think it's fair.

And yes, it is subjective, jluke might not like the winters, he might not like the dense environment and might like more spread out landscape, he might like the culture and food of Texas more. So don't shoot down his opinion.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 PM

I wasn't accusing him of saying that lol...I as just saying while we're focused on population it doesn't really matter because Chicago is in a different league regardless of population..I've been to Houston and it's a pretty city I have nothing against it but let's not try to make it something it's not..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City