Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 01:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,361,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
not upset. just saying that Austin is not as as anti-growth as you're trying to pass it as.
I'll believe this when Austin gets a better public transit system.

As for the topic of this thread, no it won't. And if it did, who cares? I seriously can't stand the obsession with the size here. You're all size queens if you think Houston being bigger than Chicago makes it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 02:50 PM

12,858 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'll believe this when Austin gets a better public transit system.

As for the topic of this thread, no it won't. And if it did, who cares? I seriously can't stand the obsession with the size here. You're all size queens if you think Houston being bigger than Chicago makes it better.
Nobody here really cares...except Houstonians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
not upset. just saying that Austin is not as as anti-growth as you're trying to pass it as.
Explain? I lived in Texas for over 30 years, a good bulk of it in Austin. Most people I came across hated the influx of people. Houston and Dallas folks seemed more welcoming.

What have you experienced.....from DC?

Old 02-22-2019, 03:03 PM

17,257 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Explain? I lived in Texas for over 30 years, a good bulk of it in Austin. Most people I came across hated the influx of people. Houston and Dallas folks seemed more welcoming.

And why wouldn't they? The way things are, every sunbelt city is developing the same way, and they end up feeling the same as any other. Wanting Austin to be separate from the pack is a good thing. If that means wanting to limit its growth and inevitable sprawl, then even better. Who wants another Houston/Dallas? Not saying anything bad about them, but why want to be just another one? Be unique.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,361,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
And why wouldn't they? The way things are, every sunbelt city is developing the same way, and they end up feeling the same as any other. Wanting Austin to be separate from the pack is a good thing. If that means wanting to limit its growth and inevitable sprawl, then even better. Who wants another Houston/Dallas? Not saying anything bad about them, but why want to be just another one? Be unique.
It never will be though unless the city invest massively in public transit which it seems to refuse to do. Houston and Dallas have been sprawling. Austin is getting to a similar level. The only thing that can really stop sprawl is urban growth boundaries and aggressive public transit investment.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:46 PM

944 posts, read 1,212,276 times
Quote:
Not just developing in a same-y way, but growing rapidly in a way that dramatically alters them in short spaces of time. In the mid-late 20th century, a few places boomed this hard but for the most part this has been unprecedented since the end of the 19th century when urbanization really took hold.

If you are 35 and have lived in Austin your entire life, the population has tripled and is not slowing at all. Half that growth has come in the past 20 years, too.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:54 PM

12,858 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Quote:
Two things:

1. While they may say it tongue in cheek, it's somewhat rude and unwelcoming.
2. When I ask Atlantans, Dallasites and Houstonians they are always welcoming about wanting you to relocate there.
3. Austinites just aren't obsessed with catching Columbus or whatever. They want their world to stay the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Not quite. Global warming is also destabilizing the jetstream, causing increased "waviness". And when that happens during winter, you get the POLAR VORTEX dropping south into the Midwest...exactly what happened a few weeks ago when the whole Midwest turned into Planet Hoth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...=.cf0646fc3ed2

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/0...climate-change
A New Climate Assesment Says Texas Is Getting Hotter, Drier And More Flood-Prone. | KUT

Texas is getting hotter. It's science.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:56 PM

20,521 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Always with the snide remarks I see. I spent my childhood in Texas and my adulthood has been here in DC but I frequently visit Texas every year. Each time I visit Texas we are in Austin and I still see plates and changes every year. Saw it in 1999 and saw it in 2018.

Also what Houstonian has cared or even posted in this topic other than anthony?

Old 02-22-2019, 05:55 PM

553 posts, read 410,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
WTF? No chance in hell that Oak Park would ever be annexed by Chicago.
Ya, I realize Oak Park or Evanston for example would never annex into the city and I said that in my post. The overarching point was Chicago has a plethora of "suburbs" city adjacent posing as municipalities that in reality are nothing more than urban extensions which share a built environment indistinguishable to traditional Chicago neighborhoods and if only annexation was possible Chicago's numbers would shoot up significantly by converting areas that are clearly more part of the city's fabric than an actual suburb.

I should have thoroughly spelled out is was an "if only" sort of idea and not based in actual belief.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:20 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,897,523 times
Houston has over twice as many square miles as Chicago, with a little less population. I'm not a big fan of sparse population density.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:17 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,271,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemikey View Post
Scrappy Joe = Yn0hTnA, aka the guy who thought Houston was a subtropical paradise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City