Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,037,153 times

Advertisements

Who cares? Houston can have 10 million people and it still won't be in the same class as NY, Chicago, and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Who cares? Houston can have 10 million people and it still won't be in the same class as NY, Chicago, and LA.
I think we've established that pages ago.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,960,035 times
Quote:
Uhm. OKAY? Im sure they'll get over it.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,037,153 times
i just like to pick on houstonians because they're begging for it. no harm, no foul.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:37 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Wishful thinking. I'm going with 2.9 million.
I'm going with 3 million as well. Have you seen the South Side recently?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well I don't know about this. The inner loop population is growing and the schools are actually improving somewhat. Young professionals and empty nesters are actually trying to make their way into downtown. Houston's housing market is still relatively cheap compared to the coasts. I mean, have you seen the prices for some of the townhomes in the inner loop? That's a bargain if I ever seen one. Houstonians got it easy. But if you do have a family, I can understand moving to Pearland or to Katy.
Many just move to West Houston (Memorial, etc.). That's an advantage for Houston having its city limits so large.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 AM

464 posts, read 1,079,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Many just move to West Houston (Memorial, etc.). That's an advantage for Houston having its city limits so large.
That's true, but since Houston is so sprawled it can only grow within its city limits to a certain point. I've never heard of a city reversing sprawl. You'd have to reroute streets, tear down hundreds of thousands of homes, and relocate all of those civilians. I really doubt Houston can make it over the three million mark continuing what it is doing now.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
That's true, but since Houston is so sprawled it can only grow within its city limits to a certain point. I've never heard of a city reversing sprawl. You'd have to reroute streets, tear down hundreds of thousands of homes, and relocate all of those civilians. I really doubt Houston can make it over the three million mark continuing what it is doing now.
Huh?

Houston can definitely make it over the three million mark doing what it is now(urban development in and around the loop, less urban development outside of it). Not to mention that there is still lots of land in the city limits. There can be cows eating grass in a field with the Houston skyline in the background. All Houston city limits.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:49 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,848,292 times
Quote:
But honestly, it's not as far behind as you'd think either.
No one says it's on the same level as all of those places. The problem is, too many people act like it's on a level with, say, Baton Rouge (no offense to Baton Rouge) and give more kudos to places like, say, Austin. It's just wrong. That's why Houstonians tend to get defensive sometimes, and rightfully so.

"Houston is ranked as the fourth best restaurant city in the United States by Wine Spectator and Esquire magazines.
With 83 consulates, Houston has the third largest consular corps in the nation.
Houston is one of only three cities in the United States with standing year-round symphony, opera and ballet. New York and San Francisco are the other two cities.
Houston has the second largest volume of theatre and performance art space (in terms of square footage) in the United States ranking only behind New York.
Houston is home to the world's largest medical center employing 120,000 people. The Texas Medical Center is expected to double in size by 2012.
Houston is home to the second largest petrochemical complex in the world.
Houston ranks third in the nation in terms of the volume of fine arts museum space.
Houston is home to the world headquarters of more Fortune 500 companies than any city in the United States other than New York.
Houston is the third largest port in the United States and is the nation's largest port in terms of foreign tonnage."
Houston Pavilions (http://www.houstonpavilions.com/office_facts.php - broken link)

"If Houston were an independent nation, it would rank as the world's 30th largest economy.
More than 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston area."
City of Houston eGovernment Center

"Kiplinger's named Houston the No. 1 city in the country to live and work, based on its strong economy, abundant jobs, reasonable living costs and fun things to do. (2008).
With nine of the nation's 25 largest publicly traded oil and gas exploration and production firms headquartered in Houston, Houston is the energy capital of the world.
Houston ranked by The Wall Street Journal as No. 11 in a listing of the top 20 most inventive towns in America, based on the number of patents issued in 2005.
Forbes.com ranked Houston the 3rd best city in the country for young professionals, based on a variety of criteria: where Ivy league graduates settle 10 years after graduation; No. of Forbes 400 best big companies and 200 best small companies; median salary data; and No. of residents between the ages of 20 and 35 (2008).
Yahoo! Travel listed the Rothko Chapel as one of the top 10 U.S. places to see before you die (2008).
The Houston Museum District is the fourth largest museum district in the country with 18 museums within walking distance.
The Menil Collection was included in Vanity Fair's Art Universe, a map of the international art scene, as one of the editors' favorite places to visit (2006).
The Houston Museum of Natural Science, with 3,171,690 tickets sold in 2006, is the third most visited museum in the U.S., following only the Smithsonian Institution and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The Children's Museum of Houston was ranked as the No. 2 children's museum in the country by Child magazine (2003) and No. 1 by MSN.com.
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston is the largest art museum in the Southwest.
The Health Museum is the most visited health museum in the country.
Houston Grand Opera is the only opera company in the world which can boast Grammy, Tony and Emmy awards.
Theatre Under the Stars is one of the largest nonprofit producers of musical theater in America.
Houston Ballet has been hailed by The New York Times as "...one of the nation's best ballet companies."
The Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum holds the only intact Byzantine frescoes in the Western Hemisphere.
Rothko Chapel is the only ecumenical center of its kind in the world.
Houston ranked 6th best sports city in the U.S. by Sporting News (2005).
The Galleria is the fourth largest shopping center in the nation, with more than 375 stores."
Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau

Old 03-07-2009, 12:07 PM

I approve of that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City